Getting back to running MGT 4.6

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thnx for sharing those sites!

The one site ,I seen a lot of thunder tiger parts ,there is the aluminum diff cases for the MTA-4 ,as
Thunder tiger merged with Ae on some products! They are quite pricey though ,an don't know the
quality an fitment of them!

I have a ton of xtra parts an can make my own pins ,I think that I also have stainless steel rod stock
laying around ,if not ,I can have Napa order me some ,my neighbor works there an does favors for
me!

so took it out again today. slowly working on tuning it. i know i had barely been able to break it in before i had to put it up and the piston definitely has some pinch so I'm re-breaking it in. got the front center shaft in, but one of the driveshaft cups setscrews backed out. so back to 2wd again lol. can't seem to find replacement ones as of yet though, on RC damper I'm seeing some what looks like decent ones. https://www.ebay.com/itm/HARD-STEEL...461311?hash=item2a21aab23f:g:36MAAMXQOT5Q9v24
but 60$ is alot for going into a brand blind.

so took it out again today. slowly working on tuning it. i know i had barely been able to break it in before i had to put it up and the piston definitely has some pinch so I'm re-breaking it in. got the front center shaft in, but one of the driveshaft cups setscrews backed out. so back to 2wd again lol. can't seem to find replacement ones as of yet though, on RC damper I'm seeing some what looks like decent ones. https://www.ebay.com/itm/HARD-STEEL...461311?hash=item2a21aab23f:g:36MAAMXQOT5Q9v24

I Are you talking about the little grub set screw that holds the drive cups on or the pin type that goes
through the cup at the trans?

yeah that grub screw and pin, although i just realized that it was 60$ for front and rears... not a bad price is $20+ each for factory. just dont know how well these would hold up.

yeah that grub screw and pin, although i just realized that it was 60$ for front and rears... not a bad price is $20+ each for factory. just dont know how well these would hold up.

I have seen people use a regular pin an wire shrink rap to hold the pin style in place ,an the grub screw ,at
one time ,I used a short Philips head screw in place of the grub screw ,the head was exposed ,but didnt
hit nothing.
Some folks like & live by loc-tite on that area ,but I wont use it there because sometimes that grub is hard
to get out ,an ends up stripping in my case ,I've also heard of people using a little super glue on the threads!..:cool:

I Are you talking about the little grub set screw that holds the drive cups on or the pin type that goes
through the cup at the trans?

The MIP brand was back in the day were about 30 or 40 bucks of a set of 2 ,they came out with 2 types a
regular size ,which was the same diameter as the originals ,an they came out with a superduty type in which
they are thicker ,I have both types ,the other set is on another Mgt. truck that I have ,I have 3 Mgt.'s an one
MMgt.!

They are not bullet proof either ,they can still bend or snap!
I managed to snap one of my super duties at the cup in the pin area ,I think that I can have my friend weld
it back an drill another hole in the one side for the pin!

With the MIP's ,the sold them in sets ,so a person could buy one set one time ,an buy the other set later
as funds allow them to!

I got mine on action years ago dirt cheap when E-bay was flooded with those types of parts ,those were the
good days!....:D

realized i got really really lucky, and exactly where i stopped the truck once i realized the shaft broke, the pin holder with grub screw in it, was laying on the ground. so all i do need is to get a pin! i have a few screws from various other rcs, including ones that are the right diameter and shanked. might also try filing a flat spot where the grub goes into? I'm just curious if the screw metal is going to be too soft though. which also got me wondering if maybe pieces of a hex key wrench would work. i believe the pins are 2mm diameter trying to confirm though. wish i had a micrometer.

For CVD pins, I usually just go to my local hardware store and in the small assorted screw boxes, they have hardened steel dowel pins of various sizes. Then I cut it to length and put a little divot where the set screw goes. The pins are usually in open boxes, so you can find one that fits your cvd cup, then buy a few to have on hand.

That or a drill bit shank. Although, those can be pretty hard and prone to cracking.

ok thanks for confirming that they will work!! Also kind of curious if the MGT 8.0 driveshafts are any different than the 4.6, part number is different but look almost exactly the same. think next non-keeping-er-running mod will be better tires. lol these arent bad but i want a bit more grip.

ok thanks for confirming that they will work!! Also kind of curious if the MGT 8.0 driveshafts are any different than the 4.6, part number is different but look almost exactly the same. think next non-keeping-er-running mod will be better tires. lol these arent bad but i want a bit more grip.

Are you talking about the center shafts that go to the diffs off of the trans?

i am talking about the ones from diffs to wheels themselves, it looks like for the centers they are the same as well (do you know for sure if they are?) but they have a ring that goes around the pin on the drive cups at the transmission side to prevent them from backing out.
are 23mm hexes still a thing or have those been nulled? have 23mm pro-line hexes on it at the moment. it seems that the variety is pretty small anymore.

i am talking about the ones from diffs to wheels themselves, it looks like for the centers they are the same as well (do you know for sure if they are?) but they have a ring that goes around the pin on the drive cups at the transmission side to prevent them from backing out.
are 23mm hexes still a thing or have those been nulled? have 23mm pro-line hexes on it at the moment. it seems that the variety is pretty small anymore.

The ring type are not of the 4.6 version ,they came out on the 8.0 version!

They interchange with the 4.6 though ,I have never owned the 8.0 version ,but I think that the snap
rings hold the pins in place on them as the 4.6 is a screw in pin type!

I see a lot of parts on E-bay ,however ,didn't see grub screws or pins!
Did see the transmission shafts ,

1547501330396.png

1547501468838.png

An this is the 4.6 version with the screw in pin!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/TEAM-ASSOC...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

1547501644424.png

Attachments

• 1547501412516.png
    1547501412516.png
    30.5 KB · Views: 79
i should get a new set of those, ones i have are starting to oval out pretty good. really kind of curious why they used aluminum for this part, wonder if they tried making it a soft point so it would fail instead of most other parts?

i should get a new set of those, ones i have are starting to oval out pretty good. really kind of curious why they used aluminum for this part, wonder if they tried making it a soft point so it would fail instead of most other parts?

Yea ,mine did ,an I switched to the Mips ,I just came from there ,but only found bits & pieces.
The hub on those are steel an not aluminum ,so they don't wear out!

I have my originals ,an they look brand new ,but these aren't the one that had been on my basher.
I am not going to use them ,I have 3 fronts ,but haven't been out to the shed yet to find the rears!

Here is what I have extra ,2 with good shafts on them ,an 1 that is new but no shaft ,an I will
have to go look in the shed an see if I have any rears!

emailed MIP as a shot in the dark to see if i can get a part numbers for the full kit or a list of all the parts necessary for the center CVD (I'm finding part# 1584, #1585 #1586 but no part number for pin etc.) or parts themselves,
did find the MIP axles though that go from the diffs to wheels though. which is on the list.
Not looking to part with those factory center shafts/hubs though are ya? :p

emailed MIP as a shot in the dark to see if i can get a part numbers for the full kit or a list of all the parts necessary for the center CVD (I'm finding part# 1584, #1585 #1586 but no part number for pin etc.) or parts themselves,
did find the MIP axles though that go from the diffs to wheels though. which is on the list.
Not looking to part with those factory center shafts/hubs though are ya? :p

I might cut loose of one with the shaft & the one with out!
Those were just in my box that I take with me out in the field for spares.
I need to go out to my shed an gather up every thing together to see what all
I do have ,I have a couple boxes of Mgt parts ,but can not remember!

I had all 4 of my G-kids today an I am about to pull out my hair ,that's why I been hit &
miss on here today!

So tomorrow ,I dig some stuff out of my shed!...:cool:

Back