First solder job!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not bad for the first solder joint ever. Some of my first solder jobs were questionable. Keep practicing it gets easier.

If you can change the tip you might look for some options. I use Chisel or Bevel tips for the bigger wires. They transfer the heat better with more surface area and keep more heat in the tip.
1696141161898.jpeg

This is a great video. He does good work. Notice he uses flux, it make it so much easier.

Second job. New 5mm bullets on my HW max10 sct ESC in my slash, decided I will be running 5mm.bullet packs for now on. I would only run a connector if it is for anything else like a basher or crawler (because of water)

Got to get some more practice so it's not that gloopy like that.
PXL_20231115_222830147.MP.jpg

Bullets: 1UP Racing 5mm Low Pro bullets

Attachments

• PXL_20231115_224234719.jpg
    PXL_20231115_224234719.jpg
    278.8 KB · Views: 24
  • PXL_20231115_224243453.jpg
    PXL_20231115_224243453.jpg
    360.9 KB · Views: 24
  • PXL_20231115_225425894.MP.jpg
    PXL_20231115_225425894.MP.jpg
    278.8 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
The more you do it, the better you'll get at it. Just make sure they flow good. Cold solder joints can kill esc's. On castle esc's, you can look at the logs after a run and see that your solder joints are legit. Not sure about HW. You can also do a voltage drop test across the joint. If it's bad, it will create high resistance in the circuit which will show voltage loss. A good joint will show no voltage drop.

Just some constructive criticism based on what I see in your pics. Barn is correct, It looks like you're not applying enough heat when tinning your wires. The solder should be soaked completely through the wire. If you look at your wires there toward where the wires meet the insulation you can see all the individual strands of wires meaning the wire did not tin fully. The solder should be completely absorbed by the wire and have a fairly uniform look to it. For 12AWg wire and above you need a big fat wide chisel tip. The one I use is a 6.5mm Hakko tip and makes working with everything up to 10AWG a cinch. 8AWG is possible but takes some finesse and some extra work to get it to work right. Anything bigger than 8AWG youd need something bigger than your standard soldering station.

Just some constructive criticism based on what I see in your pics. Barn is correct, It looks like you're not applying enough heat when tinning your wires. The solder should be soaked completely through the wire. If you look at your wires there toward where the wires meet the insulation you can see all the individual strands of wires meaning the wire did not tin fully. The solder should be completely absorbed by the wire and have a fairly uniform look to it. For 12AWg wire and above you need a big fat wide chisel tip. The one I use is a 6.5mm Hakko tip and makes working with everything up to 10AWG a cinch. 8AWG is possible but takes some finesse and some extra work to get it to work right. Anything bigger than 8AWG youd need something bigger than your standard soldering station.
I can confirm that Grey is absolutely right here. I have been using my soldering station and doing just fine until I started trying to solder bigger wires. Grey told me I needed to use a bigger tip. After converting my soldering iron to use the tip Grey recommended I can now solder large wires much easier. The larger tip made it hold the heat in better. I think my problrm was, once I applied the tip to my wire the heat was getting drawn from the tip too easily. Having the larger tip keeps the heat in the tip a more even temperature when soldering.

Last edited:
I can confirm that Grey is absolutely right here. I have been using my soldering station and doing just fine until I started trying to solder bigger wires. Grey told me I needed to use a bigger tip. After converting my soldering iron to use the top Grey recommended I can now solder large wires much easier. The larger tip made it hold the heat in better. I think my problrm was, once I applied the tip to my wire the heat was getting drawn from the tip top easily. Having the larger tip keeps the heat in the tip a more even temperature when soldering.
It also allows heat to transfer to the project (or wire) much faster thereby limiting the amount of time heat is applied to the project which is also a crucial element of soldering. :)

Try using a heated spoon on heat-shrink tube. a lighter candle even a match will heat the spoon. why do a splice when you can slide the tbs out and do a correct solder joint

Soldered a few more things latley. Soldered back on the mini deans plug for the mini b. Most likely because I pull the wire instead of the actual plug since its too tiny. And also I soldered back up the small esc wire that goes to the receiver. Getting better and alot more heat the past few times.

Been thinking of changing my plugs on the mini b. Running deans currently. Used to run ec2 when I was with the stock Dynamite stuff. Might change back to ec2 or go to xt30s. I wish they make a smaller bullet/s to use in these mini cars, but mostly everyone uses a plug instead of a bullet.

Soldered a few more things latley. Soldered back on the mini deans plug for the mini b. Most likely because I pull the wire instead of the actual plug since its too tiny. And also I soldered back up the small esc wire that goes to the receiver. Getting better and alot more heat the past few times.

Been thinking of changing my plugs on the mini b. Running deans currently. Used to run ec2 when I was with the stock Dynamite stuff. Might change back to ec2 or go to xt30s. I wish they make a smaller bullet/s to use in these mini cars, but mostly everyone uses a plug instead of a bullet.
Just buy 2mm bullet connectors and use those?

Even better this time. The guy that redid my wiring and new esc for the buggy last month, I learned alot from him. I'm still trying to get better on soldering wires together. But I got soldering bullets and motor tabs down.

PXL_20240416_002923195.jpg

PXL_20240416_012720997.jpg

PXL_20240416_012745840.jpg

PXL_20240416_002933403.jpg

Good news. Didn't burn myself this time, I wear gloves now, but sometimes I have to take them off because I can't move or do stuff alot. They are thin work gloves.

Nice work it looks good and it does get easier with practice.

I don't use gloves. I find they get in the way, but I'm ultra aware of the hot end. I learned the hard way. If you burn yourself it will suck but you also want to be careful to not start a fire or melt something that didn't need melting.

Back