First solder job!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DavidB1126

Team Bomb Pop
Supporter
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
  3. Crawling
  4. Scale Builder
First time soldering! Not the best job, but hey, atleast it works. Followed mark santa maria's and chrisfix's video on soldering. This was the first adapter, but I think I did better on the second adapter, which I didn't get a pic of.

What I had previously was a TRX plug, going into 4mm bullets, and from there was a 4mm to 5mm barrel bullet. Because of the 4mm to 5mm barrels, the bullets wouldn't stay in the battery. So I took the EC3 to 5mm bullet adapter that came with my new CNHL shortys, took the Traxxas plug off the old one, and put it on the new one. It would probably would made it easier if I actually soldered the wires off the traxxas plug (getting the gold plates out) and soldering them to the new adapter, but I had a tough time trying to remove the plates so I just decided to splice the wire, and make a joint there. Used heat shrink and a lighter to finish the job up.

Solder station: Weller 40W
Solder: Kester rosin core

This was all with 12 AWG wire. Pretty thick. Should of started practicing on something smaller like 16 or 14 gauge, but thats alright, practice makes perfect.
These adapters are for using 5mm stick packs in the slash and rusty, so no worry about it, I would only worry about the job if it was for the buggy. If they get bad in the future, might have my uncle resolder them up.

Well talking about soldering, talked about this before, but trying to prioritize all my connectors. And I might have to extend the buggies leads as I made them too short and they are pulling on the solder joint.
unnamed (1).jpg
unnamed.jpg

Yea i did loose alot of wire, so on the first one I had to splice it again, but on the second one I did a better job.

First time soldering! Not the best job, but hey, atleast it works. Followed mark santa maria's and chrisfix's video on soldering. This was the first adapter, but I think I did better on the second adapter, which I didn't get a pic of.

What I had previously was a TRX plug, going into 4mm bullets, and from there was a 4mm to 5mm barrel bullet. Because of the 4mm to 5mm barrels, the bullets wouldn't stay in the battery. So I took the EC3 to 5mm bullet adapter that came with my new CNHL shortys, took the Traxxas plug off the old one, and put it on the new one. It would probably would made it easier if I actually soldered the wires off the traxxas plug (getting the gold plates out) and soldering them to the new adapter, but I had a tough time trying to remove the plates so I just decided to splice the wire, and make a joint there. Used heat shrink and a lighter to finish the job up.

Solder station: Weller 40W
Solder: Kester rosin core

This was all with 12 AWG wire. Pretty thick. Should of started practicing on something smaller like 16 or 14 gauge, but thats alright, practice makes perfect.
These adapters are for using 5mm stick packs in the slash and rusty, so no worry about it, I would only worry about the job if it was for the buggy. If they get bad in the future, might have my uncle resolder them up.

Well talking about soldering, talked about this before, but trying to prioritize all my connectors. And I might have to extend the buggies leads as I made them too short and they are pulling on the solder joint. View attachment 172138View attachment 172139
Yea i did loose alot of wire, so on the first one I had to splice it again, but on the second one I did a better job.
nicely done bud. Got to learn and start some time. Don't look that bad. Give your self more credit... well done bud 👍👍

Looks good! Better than my first attempt for sure. Idk if you have one, but a set of Helping Hands
Will really help to get solder joints looking pretty. I also have found it very helpful to “tin” both pieces before you actually put them together. Doing that is especially important when soldering on a new ESC plug and on motor tabs.

Also glad to see you got the heatshrink on before you made the connection. Idk how many times I’ve had to backtrack because I forgot it 😆

A couple tips for heatshrink, I find that an actual heat gun does a much nicer job than the old lighter or torch treatment. (hairdryer on high heat, low fan works too but it’s a lot slower) I also try to only buy the glue-lined heatshrink. It has a little bit more wall thickness so you may find a situation where it just won’t fit, but 99 times out of 100 it’s the better option.

Nice work 👍 keep practicing!

Idk if you have one, but a set of Helping Hands
Yep, helping hand devices are awesome. Also, greatly decrease your chances of getting burned. They are also very useful for other purposes as well, and not just for soldering.
I got a larger one with 4 arms, but there are plenty of smaller and even larger ones on the market.
Here's mine, functioning as a lift 🙂
0124222014.jpg

Also glad to see you got the heatshrink on before you made the connection. Idk how many times I’ve had to backtrack because I forgot it 😆
I did this on the second adapter I made. What I just did is cut the heatshrink open and taped it. 🤣
Looks good! Better than my first attempt for sure. Idk if you have one, but a set of Helping Hands
Yep I need those. For soldering normal bullets for anything I use the block of wood and put the bullet in. But those helping hands would be better in this case.

Anyone ever used these self solder butt connectors? I have a soldering iron already, but this just looks too easy for splicing.
I keep some in my jeep for emergencies. They work ok but there’s a technique to using them. If you’re using a flame to shrink them you have to be careful cause the shrink part will burn before the solder melts. You have to heat them slow. They’re great for an emergency kit but I’d rather use actual solder if I’m in a more controlled environment.

I keep some in my jeep for emergencies. They work ok but there’s a technique to using them. If you’re using a flame to shrink them you have to be careful cause the shrink part will burn before the solder melts. You have to heat them slow. They’re great for an emergency kit but I’d rather use actual solder if I’m in a more controlled environment.
Yeah I figured an open flame from a lighter would burn the heat shrink. I've made that mistake multiple times. Looks like a heat gun would be best for those.

There are two issues. First I don't think your iron is hot enough and second your wires need to be better tinned.

Clamp your wires facing straight up and add plenty of flux. With a drop of solder hanging off the bottom of your iron set it down on your wire. When you hear it sizzle add more solder. You want the tops of the wires to be saturated in solder.

To connect the wires. Flux both wires then press them together. With a drop of solder hanging off your iron press it against your wires. At this point you probably won't need more solder. After a couple of seconds you will feel the iron sink into the wires. You are now done.

In my youth I used to solder computer boards for a living.

Anyone ever used these self solder butt connectors? I have a soldering iron already, but this just looks too easy for splicing.
I have not used those, but I have professionally repaired lots of botched wiring jobs done by folks who did use those. I don't recommend them. Learn to solder instead. Don't let it intimidate you, it's not that hard.

You just reaffirmed my dislike for Amain.

You might try using some cheap hardware store lead solder. It flows much better than the silver stuff and it's much easier to get along with.

I use this. Not sure if it's good but it's from a.good brand. Yes look at the date. Yea it's old. 🤣
PXL_20230926_235140802.jpg

You might try using some cheap hardware store lead solder. It flows much better than the silver stuff and it's much easier to get along with.
X2.

Back when radio shack went under I went in on the clearance sale at my local store and bought ALL the fine rosin core leaded solder they had. I do a fair amount of soldering between work, my jeep hobby and now RC and I just recently finished the first spool!

That isn't a bad solder job. Practice makes perfect!

Back