First, most liked, and least liked Hobby Grade RC.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

biggman100

Hardcore RCTalk User
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
This may have been done before, but, as the title says, lets hear about your first, your most liked, and you least liked hobby grade RC's. To be honest, since i can't remember when i got which, my first comes down to a Tamiya Grasshopper, and a Tamiya Frog. My favorite is the Arrma Fury. This is the one i picked up to replace the one i lost.
IMG_20220909_004919964.jpg

IMG_20220909_004930666.jpg

Yes, i removed that horrible yeti sticker. My least favorite to date was my Arrma Granite, which is why i converted it a LWB hybrid, using parts from the Granite, Senton, Vorteks, BRCC and Typhon, and, even after that, i was never too thrilled with it, since it seemed to break way more than anything else i have owned. I actually had a 2WD Slash that seemed way more durable, and i used that a lot harder than the Arrma.

I don't remember what my first one was but it was nitro.
My worst was the Redcat Tornado S30, A pile of junk honestly.
My best, is the rest.... ;)
Probably a toss up between my Xmaxx and my Baja 5b gasser.

IMG_0498.JPG

Last edited:
First true hobby grade was an xl5 stampede 6 cell nimh christmas 06. Before this one was a Nitro Sport SE my friend got in 03 that I drove before my own.

My favorite is either the xl5 or vxl stampede for electric, and probably Nitro Sport for nitro. That beats out my Rs4 because I can beat on it a little harder and it does all terrain.

The most hated is what ever one the gremlin hopped to. In all seriousness, they all have a problematic issue at some points. The 1/16 can have gard to reach places, the tmaxx has a fuel tank next to the spur. The nitro stampede spur requires alot to change its spur. Come to think of it my 10,2 seems the easiest along side the nitro Rs4.

I agree all of them at one point or another has a issue, but my Baja, I have yet to have a problem with it.
It's a Rovan and that actually surprises me because of the cheap price it is. This is the very reason I recommended them to anybody looking to purchase one.

First RC was the Tamiya 'Dirt Thrasher' 4WD buggy.

Most liked has to be the 2WD TRX Rustler. Versatile and survivable. Mine is twenty + years old and still cookin.

Least liked was the PR Racing 2WD ST. New era mid-motor built from a true kit. Sold it right after finishing the build.

'AC'

First RC was the Tamiya 'Dirt Thrasher' 4WD buggy.

Most liked has to be the 2WD TRX Rustler. Versatile and survivable. Mine is twenty + years old and still cookin.

Least liked was the PR Racing 2WD ST. New era mid-motor built from a true kit. Sold it right after finishing the build.

'AC'
Wish I can find those old proline cars.

My first was a Nikko Turbo Panther. Great buggy back in the 80's. Wish I still had that thing.

My favorite is definitely the Xmaxx. Toughest RC I have and its a blast to bash.

My least favorite was a Losi XXX SCT that I thought would make a good track car but I just got my butt kicked by a bunch of stock slash's. And before you hooligans say 'it was your driving', I switched to a Slash platform and stayed in the top 3 for years.

First kit: Tamiya Frog
tamiya-frog-005.jpg

Favorite kit: Losi LST2 electric conversion, XXL, XL3-E. Pretty much any of the LST variants except for the XXL-2 which was their 2 stroke gas version.
SDC13791.JPG

SDC13767.JPG

SDC11018.JPG

20211216_160038.jpg

20211216_160120.jpg

Least Favorite? Thats kinda tough cuz the only non brand name RCs I can remember buying was a Hisky HFP80 and a WLToys V911 Pro micro helis which were complete POSs and I dont think they even lasted more than a week or three. If you're talking ground kits though, I like every rig I've ever owned to some degree or another but I've never bought anything that wasn't a name brand. I guess if I had to pick a least favorite ground kit it would be the Associated TC3 but not because its a bad kit but because onroad just aint my thing unless its speed runs or no prep.
IMG_7099.JPG

IMG_7110.JPG

SDC12640.JPG
SDC12658.JPG

This may have been done before, but, as the title says, lets hear about your first, your most liked, and you least liked hobby grade RC's. To be honest, since i can't remember when i got which, my first comes down to a Tamiya Grasshopper, and a Tamiya Frog. My favorite is the Arrma Fury. This is the one i picked up to replace the one i lost.
View attachment 152551
View attachment 152552

Yes, i removed that horrible yeti sticker. My least favorite to date was my Arrma Granite, which is why i converted it a LWB hybrid, using parts from the Granite, Senton, Vorteks, BRCC and Typhon, and, even after that, i was never too thrilled with it, since it seemed to break way more than anything else i have owned. I actually had a 2WD Slash that seemed way more durable, and i used that a lot harder than the Arrma.
Arrma fury was one of my first rc cars. I really like how it handles, 9 out of 10, the only better handling short course is my associated sc5m. I really enjoy light weight cars, but it's fragile, shock towers super flimsy, parts expensive, shocks leaking all the times, screws coming out, ball joints popping. I traded it for vintage tmaxx in excellent shape, but I kind a miss it
My first rc was xl5 stampede.

The most problematic rc hpi savage x 4.6. never finished a tank without either wheels falling off, stripping spur, burning slipper clutch, servo dying.

The worst car I had is the only "no name" brand, acme trooper, they also sold as hobby king trooper. Name brand associated apex scion.

Least favorite to work on erevo platform, especially 16 scale, nightmare.

Favorite is tough to say, I like simple 2wd cars both nitro and electric. There is a lot of good cars but if I can chose.only one car to have, it has to be erevo or summit

Last edited:
Arrma fury was one of my first rc cars. I really like how it handles, 9 out of 10, the only better handling short course is my associated sc5m. I really enjoy light weight cars, but it's fragile, shock towers super flimsy, parts expensive, shocks leaking all the times, screws coming out, ball joints popping. I traded it for vintage tmaxx in excellent shape, but I kind a miss it
My experience with it, other than the ball joints constantly popping off, which i fixed using captured links from another car, was the exact opposite. I rarely ever broke any of mine (the one i recently picked up makes 4 of them i have had), except for the metal diff in the first gen cars. If i wasn't breaking pins in the outdrives, then the washers behind the spider gears would cone, or spider gears would snap in half, so, eventually i ended up swapping to an MIP ball diff for the HPI Blitz. After that, i broke it once in 3 years running into the front tire of the neighbors car. As for parts being expensive, compared to my original AE SC10, i thought they were actually cheap. Now, you can get almost every part for it dirt cheap on eBay, so I'm hoping to pick up another one and have those two as my 2WD bashers. The only screws i ever had issues with were the lower arm screws, so i have already ordered a set of the HD ones that have the lock nuts on them.

My experience with it, other than the ball joints constantly popping off, which i fixed using captured links from another car, was the exact opposite. I rarely ever broke any of mine (the one i recently picked up makes 4 of them i have had), except for the metal diff in the first gen cars. If i wasn't breaking pins in the outdrives, then the washers behind the spider gears would cone, or spider gears would snap in half, so, eventually i ended up swapping to an MIP ball diff for the HPI Blitz. After that, i broke it once in 3 years running into the front tire of the neighbors car. As for parts being expensive, compared to my original AE SC10, i thought they were actually cheap. Now, you can get almost every part for it dirt cheap on eBay, so I'm hoping to pick up another one and have those two as my 2WD bashers. The only screws i ever had issues with were the lower arm screws, so i have already ordered a set of the HD ones that have the lock nuts on them.
Yes, it's definitely an awesome truck and maybe I buy it again if I find one on used market. I wish arrma introduced v2 model with some improvements. New 2wd model is just to heavy and bulky.

In blx version they had some improvements like chassis reinforcement and shock tower braces, but still needed a redesign for V2
This is 8 year old photo, but shows my arrma 2pc edition :)

Screenshot_20220916-154637.png

My first hobby grade Rc was the wltoys a 959 B like 10 years ago when I was 7 years old. It was pretty quick and I loved it. It then was about 2 years ago I bought a wl toys 124019. It was fast but weak and I spent twice what I spent on the kit 😅. It was fun though.
FFCBCAE4-F209-4F0F-986F-C889CEB4FF33.jpeg

That hooked me on the hobby.

My favourite is the most recent and it’s awesome 😎 I just bought an ftx dr8 6s.
It’s mental I’ve broke it and am waiting on parts. I would recommend.
A3931279-14D0-475D-AF16-26808CE8AB70.jpeg

My least favourite car is probably my tamiya tt02. It’s not a bad car necessarily I just don’t like that there’s no ball bearings or oil shocks however the cossie body on it looks mint. I’m just not a fan of how it is out of the box.

None of these are my pics... just so you know.

First RC was a Marui Big Bear bought with money I earned at the age of 13 in 1983.
Marui-Big-Bear.jpg

Favorite is a toss up between the Kyosho Javelin I had in '86, and the Turbo Scorpion I have now. Both were amazing kits to build. But there is also a really special place in my heart for the old RC10's, which I had the most fun with.
s-l500.jpg

kyosho-1-10-turbo-scorpion-kit.jpg

RC10B3-body-left_lg.jpg

Least favorite is hands down, by miles and miles apart from my next least favorite is the Tamiya TT02.

First, in 1987 - not hobby grade, was a Tyco Mini Hopper. Got a Nikko Turbo Panther and Tyco Turbo Hopper shortly after though, and I was hooked.

As for hobby grade, my first was a T-Maxx. Though I could make the argument that my first hobby grade was a custom built contraption that used a lot of Tamiya parts back in 1988. I'd also say that one was my least favorite, as it fell apart pretty quickly, lol.

My favorite? Hard choice. I truly love them all. I guess I'd say it would have to be my custom drag chassis Jato/Slash parts hybrid. That's the thing I'm most proud of for sure.

My first hobby grade rc was a traxxas slash 2wd xl 5 followed by a HSP hunter 1/16 scale truggy. I still own them and I will run them.

My dream rc car/s is a traxxas maxx 4s, Kyosho tomahawk, Arrma senton 4x4 and a traxxas trx 4.

View attachment 152551
View attachment 152552

First RC? Brushed, RWD only Traxxas Slash. Back in about 2009. First RC I bothered to sell? The same. In fact, that’s the ONLY RC I ever bothered to sell. So far.

First ever: Nikko Turbo Aero. I jumped it off a minor curb and the battery door failed.

First kit: Marui Big Bear Datsun (should have insisted on the black pan RC10 that I really wanted at the time)

First race car: Team Losi JRX Pro (bought used, still should have saved up for the RC10 to fit in and get support as my local shop and local fast guys were all about Associated and Yokomo).

Biggest regret: selling the Yokomo YZ-10 ’94 I bought after the Losi. I remember really enjoying that car, I honestly can’t understand what I was thinking at the time.

Least favorite: HPI RS4 Mini. These came out before Associated released their shaft-driven touring car. HPI was also locally supported but everyone else had the full-sized ones. I think the VW Polo looked cute but the handling proved to be awful and there was zero chance keeping up with the pack. I went to one actual race and it was also my last one for a very long time. Ironically, this is the only car of my past ones that I still have.

First Team Associated: The B74.2 became my comeback buggy earlier this year. I was considering the Optima Mid re-re because that’s how I think buggies should look like, but then I figured that choosing the YZ-10 back in the day was based on its world-class performance and local support, so the B74.2 is a choice that follows the same principles and avoids the mistakes I made with other purchases.

My first was a 1/10 scale Redcat Volcano Monster Truck. My favorite id have to say my Traxxas Maxx. And my least would be my Redcat Volcano that I once had.

First - ECX Torment brushed. Man, even after months of researching I didn't know what I was getting into. It was pretty crap but got me started.

Worst - Hobbyking Rattler buggy, based off a Kyosho design but made out of mud and twigs it seemed like.

Best - just got a used SCT410.3, previous owner bashed the hell out of it and everything is so smooth and tight, just a beautifully built RC.

Back