First hobby grade rc car?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bogda89

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
What was your first hobby grade rc car? How you got into the hobby?

Let's start with me. 10 years ago I went with my friend and roommate at that time to hobby town and I was really impressed with models, but they seemed to me very complex and expensive. 2 years later my friend showed me a vintage probably toy grade rc, kind a like nikko but even worst. For some reason i really liked it and I was impressed but it was dog slow and couldn't even go on the grass. So he recommended me a Traxxas like one of the most popular brands.

So couple days later I got 2wd stampede. It was awesome, it could go anywhere, it was relatively fast and I got bitten by the bug and soon went on a shopping spree. So I didn't know anything about different brands or types, and decided to buy all different brands ant stiles.

Hpi savage x 4.6 big block. A nightmare. For me nitro is number one, but can't beat Traxxas reliability and ease of use. Lost interest in nitro for the next 3 years because of it.

Arrma fury, converter to brushless. Amazing handling drove that thing until rear tires were completely worn out, after a while hit a dumpster full speed and It become 2 pc edition.

Hpi apex scion brushless. Never liked it. On 3s it was mental, tires unglued every run, shock tower broke without a single crash. Couple years later crashed it at windy City rc onroad track and broke caster block, parts discontinued...

Ofna hyper ss caged truggy. Impressive rc, never had problem with anything except junk factory rims, my, now ex wife drove it into the ocean when we were on vacation in Florida, but we got it back. It was just too heavy and I was always worried not to hit someone.

Acme trooper 4wd short course. Amazing handling, but Chinese junk, after maybe 10 packs and numerous repairs it started to fall apart so I throw it in trash, left the motor only.

So when I got all other cars it was clear that stampede is the worst handling car out of all, high cg chassis, ridiculous under steer on throttle, basic radio. But since it was much more reliable I ended up driving it more than all other combined. Yes, I broke a caster block and hub carier, but a hobby shop is only 3 blocks from where I live and parts are cheap.

After that I bought some other brands Rcs, but Traxxas is still number one for me, probably 70 percent of my Rcs cars I bought are used, some like new never driven, some in terrible shape and big project cars, but almost never encountered a case that I can't find parts even for cars that are made in the 90s

FB_IMG_1665372556408.jpg

Traxxas Slash xl5 brushed. Got it for Christmas 2015. Next RC was a Rustler xl5. Got the rustler in 2020. Then my latest car is a losi mini. Got it this April.

20220924_112754 (1).jpg

20220522_150723.jpg

20220522_150535.jpg

RC10T, couldn't tell you what year I got it, sometime in the early 90's after a string of Nikko and Radio Shack type cars. It went into storage in the late 90's when other things in life took priority over RC.

That's right. Carbon fiber part in the 90's lol. Have 3 extra sets of wheels for it as well in different colors including an original white set.

I've been thinking about throwing a mellow brushed setup in it and playing with it a little. The thing feels like a feather compared to my other cars.

Either way it's going to get completely disassembled, cleaned, and reassembled this winter after I found a supplier for some of the parts it needs.

PXL_20220823_014749509.jpg
PXL_20220823_014925545.jpg
PXL_20220823_014841230.jpg

Mardave Meteor, it's stored in my in laws attic and I live on the other side of the world. Going to revive it when I take the kids over for a holiday next year (I'm really looking forward to it).

I can't decide whether to use a brushed set up on it or swap to brushless. I know the servo operated 3 speed speed controller didn't work when I put it away in 1996ish and i used the futiba transmiitter for a kyosho inferno that I sold with trans when I moved overseas .. so definitely needs electronics.

I'm thinking brushed will let me use it at vintage RC meetings if there are any.

But upgrading it to brushless spec and running in a modern 2wd race would amuse me too.

I got an Arrma Granite 4x4 BLX from my uncle, a great RC truck to start out with, I now know how to save effectively!! If you give someone their first RC, provide them with one they won't spend over $200 on in the first freaking year!!! I am still saving up for a new ESC.

I got an Arrma Granite 4x4 BLX from my uncle, a great RC truck to start out with, I now know how to save effectively!! If you give someone their first RC, provide them with one they won't spend over $200 on in the first freaking year!!! I am still saving up for a new ESC.
I dont think those exist 🤣

Mine was the "Monster Beetle" by Tamiya in the late 80's
Fond memories but I can't remember anything about how it handled. I do remember the batteries not lasting very long.
Loved camo back then.
I still have a pic of it in one of my planters after a run.
RCBAJA.jpg

I guess this version was sold until 1993 and a black version was released again in 2019.
I'd love to hear the sound of it again.

I am gonna post a picture of mine tomorrow.
I meant rigs that you'll spend less than $200 dollars on in teh first year. I didnt mean that the Granite didnt exist :)

Mine was the "Monster Beetle" by Tamiya in the late 80's
Fond memories but I can't remember anything about how it handled. I do remember the batteries not lasting very long.
Loved camo back then.
I still have a pic of it in one of my planters after a run.
View attachment 159043
I guess this version was sold until 1993 and a black version was released again in 2019.
I'd love to hear the sound of it again.
I love beetle builds, They just look so freakin cool!

Last edited:
I meant rigs that you'll spend less than $200 dollars on in teh first year. I didnt mean that the Granite didnt exist :)

I love beetle builds, They just look so freakin cool!
Sorry, in the first year, the motor died, the servo died, and I broke various parts. I'm talking about everything from A-arms to body pins and body mounting posts.

Sorry, in the first year, the motor died, the servo died, and I broke various parts. I'm talking about everything from A-arms to body pins and body mounting posts.
Yeah, Unfortunately stock electronics almost always suck for just about any brand and I swear that manufacturers design them to break so you're forced to spend money on after market hop ups lol

Yeah, Unfortunately stock electronics almost always suck for just about any brand and I swear that manufacturers design them to break so you're forced to spend money on after market hop ups lol
That is true, I am waiting for an ESC and new rear wishbones.

Traxxas Slash was my first. Brushed, rwd only. The only RC I ever sold. Btw I know the Slash is a solid RC, and I imagine it’s much more fun on a track than just bashing around. Also, and I might be wrong, I think when I bought the Slash, maybe in ‘08, Traxxas had not even come out with their brushless, and/or all wheel drive versions yet. I’m sure they’re very different to drive. Anyway, after the Slash, I bought all brushless or nitro, except for my Tamiya crawler. ALSO, NO OFFENSE intended toward any Slash owner/enthusiasts! These matters are TOTALLY a matter of subjective, entirely personal taste, and maybe personal idiosyncrasies too.

How did you find a Mike Jenkins body for your Slash? Was it the “nitro slash” body?
Nope it came with it. This was back in 2015. Still have the same body in storage.
My slash also came with OBA. The speakers got some water in them and stoped working and I have no idea where the module is.
And I raced my slash in the 2wd SCT young guns class back in 2016. That was pretty fun class. My car was all box stock besides carpet wheels and tires.