Duratrax Vendetta SC

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
P

PepsiKid

great 4wd mini option :)

http://duratrax.com/cars/dtxd17-vendetta-sc/index.html

dtxd17xxaa07glg.jpg

dtxd17xxaa18glg.jpg

dtxd17xxaa04glg.jpg

I'm not the biggest fan of Duratrax, but these look like some cheap fun. I have a Duratrax Evader, which for the money is an ok truck. They pretty much pulled the chassis design from the old Losi XXT's I think (which normally I would say copying Losi would be barking up the wrong tree, but they did have some pretty proven stadium trucks back in the day).

These will be a nice cheap alternative to the mini slash. :first_place:

I like the fact it comes with a 2.4ghz radio.

I believe that should be an industry standard now, not a reason to mark prices up another $100.

Will likely pick one of these up in the spring.

I'm not the biggest fan of Duratrax, but these look like some cheap fun. I have a Duratrax Evader, which for the money is an ok truck. They pretty much pulled the chassis design from the old Losi XXT's I think (which normally I would say copying Losi would be barking up the wrong tree, but they did have some pretty proven stadium trucks back in the day).

These will be a nice cheap alternative to the mini slash. :first_place:

Just so you know, Duratrax doesn't really design or manufacture any of their own products - they instead purchase the US-selling rights to products made and sold elsewhere and repackage/re-brand them under the DTX banner. This particular truck is a bit different, as nobody makes this SC design anywhere else.

And ultimately, you get what you pay for. If you bought an Evader, for less money than a XX-T, then you didn't pay for the factory goodies that came with the original - and chances were you purchased an antiquated design.

But anyway, relative to this platform, this truck is based off their tried and proven 1/18th scale Vendetta chassis design - but in a stretched version - and has a sealed drivetrain and pivot ball front suspension (like 1/8 scale rigs)... and we've been easily handling the mini slash's their arse at the track this winter ;)

I like the fact it comes with a 2.4ghz radio.

I believe that should be an industry standard now, not a reason to mark prices up another $100.

Will likely pick one of these up in the spring.

seems as if everything now comes stock with a cheap 2.4gHz radio - no biggie, the technology itself is pretty cheap (and probably cheaper to produce than a channeled radio with crystals)

So, How do you like it so far. Any major issues/ problems. been thinking about one and for the price it seems like a good deal.

So, How do you like it so far. Any major issues/ problems. been thinking about one and for the price it seems like a good deal.

No major issues that I've seen, truck is a proven platform out of the box -- but IMHO like all RTRs they have things that could be upgraded/replaced, others that should be upgraded/replaced, and yet others that need to be upgraded/replaced.... but that's up to the individual owner to decide.

So anyone else on this forum pick up one of these D-trax SC's yet?

Post up some photos!

I've got to ask, what are your impressions? What have you broken/upgraded/etc.?

I've got one on the way right now so just trying to prepare!

Hmmmm, these look pretty good imo. Definatly wanna see them in action. too bad their 1/18th. Looks like everyone is getting on the 2.4 bandwagon these days.

Hmmmm, these look pretty good imo. Definatly wanna see them in action. too bad their 1/18th. Looks like everyone is getting on the 2.4 bandwagon these days.

They may be labeled as 1/18th, but I will just suggest that they are definately quite a bit larger than what most people expect out of any other mini. :cool:

rer0058.jpg

rer0061.jpg

Thats cool track with the carpet!

great action shots there, thanks for posting'em!

Those all look pretty unique! Makes me excited to get my hands on mine and see what it's all about.
Which one is yours?
I like that one with the extra "fins" and the number plates. Are they screwed on, or just shoe-goo'ed?

I might have to pick up an extra clear body to paint up myself!

So, can you say which parts I should be weary about on this platform? Or which would be advisable to upgrade?

Thats cool track with the carpet!

Since I'm currently "up north," during the winter, we race off-road (and on-road too) indoors on carpet during the snow months.

But I luv carpet anyway, definately cuts down on cleaning and maintenance.

great action shots there, thanks for posting'em!

Those all look pretty unique! Makes me excited to get my hands on mine and see what it's all about.
Which one is yours?
I like that one with the extra "fins" and the number plates. Are they screwed on, or just shoe-goo'ed?

I might have to pick up an extra clear body to paint up myself!

So, can you say which parts I should be weary about on this platform? Or which would be advisable to upgrade?

~ The white one.
~ Shoo-goo sticks to anything, and it makes for a clean and lightweight installation over screws and such. I got a little carried away with the number plates and winglets, stickers too, and a light kit - but I just figured that if I was going for scale realism I might as well go all the way.
~ I've got a clear body to paint, just haven't gotten around to it yet.
~ Nothing, really, to be wary of on this platform - it's based off the tried and proven buggy chassis (sealed drivetrain/gears, PBS front suspension), just a stretched version, so there are plenty of upgrades already on the market. The only thing I upgraded thus far on mine was to add alloy shocks (much smoother than composite), metal CVDs, servo hold-down, and a T-Bone bumper......but CVDs are the only "neccessary" item in my eyes.

rer0059.jpg

I see. Unfortunately I cannot find the front buggy CVD's... On the other hand, I've also read a bit about people on rctech having problems with the steel CVD's and the wheel studs breaking off too easily, rendering them useless... then people go back to the plastic and drill them out for a bigger screw or something to that effect.
I'll wait and see how the composite stock shocks do.
Are you running stock yellow springs all around? What weight fluid?

I'm assuming you are running the stock VR3 motor and stock ESC?
Oh, and are you running NiMH? 6 or 7 cell? Or lipo? I've got both, but if this "ST" ESC that the guy is including with my SC is as garbage as I hear (compared to the supposedly smoother updated ESC that currently comes with the SC) then I'll switch to brushless and go 2S lipo.

I don't think there is a low-voltage cut-off on the factory ESC, is there?

I see. Unfortunately I cannot find the front buggy CVD's... On the other hand, I've also read a bit about people on rctech having problems with the steel CVD's and the wheel studs breaking off too easily, rendering them useless... then people go back to the plastic and drill them out for a bigger screw or something to that effect.
I'll wait and see how the composite stock shocks do.
Are you running stock yellow springs all around? What weight fluid?

I'm assuming you are running the stock VR3 motor and stock ESC?
Oh, and are you running NiMH? 6 or 7 cell? Or lipo? I've got both, but if this "ST" ESC that the guy is including with my SC is as garbage as I hear (compared to the supposedly smoother updated ESC that currently comes with the SC) then I'll switch to brushless and go 2S lipo.

I don't think there is a low-voltage cut-off on the factory ESC, is there?

~ Yeah, the steel threaded axles suck, the threaded axles snap quite easily, seen lots of guys break them.
TowerHobbies has the buggy steel CVDs that I use. http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXPTT4&P=7
I found an easy mod to "fix" the issue on another forum, same thing I did. (http://one18th.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=general2&action=display&thread=396&page=1)
Either way, if you're looking for DTX parts and your LHS doesn't carry them - always go to Tower's website, they keep most things in stock.

~ I changed to green springs on the front - so it has a heavier spring on the front, which is a rather typical change for any 4wd.
~ I finally settled on 80wt front/60wt rear[/B], but that's me (and it's on a smooth carpet track - so I'm sure I'll change to thinner oils when I go outdoors this summer, probably 60/40)

~ Yes, I'm running the stock VR3 motor - it's really all the motor this truck needs, it's screaming fast (I might even switch to the slower red-label motor when I go outdoors).
The stock ESC has been updated and they work fine. Though I did upgrade to a Novak XRS, because it's a 10th scale esc and has beefier wires (they're only about $40, but a good mini speedo), but it's not "really" neccessary.

~ The Detta's tend to be plenty heavy enough on their own, for a mini, so I've always run mine off LiPO (2S) if for no other reason than to save weight.

~ As I mentioned earlier, the ESC included in the SC is updated (different than what came in the earlier ST and Buggy) - but yes, the one that came in the ST is junk (they overheat and burn up quite easily).
No, there is no LVC on any of the brushed DTX speed controls (or any RTR that I know of for that matter).
If you plan on going brushless, I'd personally look into putting a Novak Mongoose system in it. A 13.5 will be "plenty" of motor for this truck.

Let me know if you have any other questions :cool:

~ Yeah, the steel threaded axles suck, the threaded axles snap quite easily, seen lots of guys break them.
TowerHobbies has the buggy steel CVDs that I use. http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXPTT4&P=7
I found an easy mod to "fix" the issue on another forum, same thing I did. (http://one18th.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=general2&action=display&thread=396&page=1)
Either way, if you're looking for DTX parts and your LHS doesn't carry them - always go to Tower's website, they keep most things in stock.

~ I changed to green springs on the front - so it has a heavier spring on the front, which is a rather typical change for any 4wd.
~ I finally settled on 80wt front/60wt rear[/B], but that's me (and it's on a smooth carpet track - so I'm sure I'll change to thinner oils when I go outdoors this summer, probably 60/40)

~ Yes, I'm running the stock VR3 motor - it's really all the motor this truck needs, it's screaming fast (I might even switch to the slower red-label motor when I go outdoors).
The stock ESC has been updated and they work fine. Though I did upgrade to a Novak XRS, because it's a 10th scale esc and has beefier wires (they're only about $40, but a good mini speedo), but it's not "really" neccessary.

~ The Detta's tend to be plenty heavy enough on their own, for a mini, so I've always run mine off LiPO (2S) if for no other reason than to save weight.

~ As I mentioned earlier, the ESC included in the SC is updated (different than what came in the earlier ST and Buggy) - but yes, the one that came in the ST is junk (they overheat and burn up quite easily).
No, there is no LVC on any of the brushed DTX speed controls (or any RTR that I know of for that matter).
If you plan on going brushless, I'd personally look into putting a Novak Mongoose system in it. A 13.5 will be "plenty" of motor for this truck.

Let me know if you have any other questions :cool:

Thanks for the tips.

ah, that other website link you posted requires you be registered to view it.

I was wondering what the deal was with those CVD's with the screw in instead of the stud. Well, looks like I'll pick up a set of those and try them out.
Also add in some green springs, that was kind of what I was thinking, since I run it stiffer up front on my 1/10 SC's, but just wanted to ask.
I think I'll try some lighter weight fluid though.

Running the Novak XRS, huh? That doesn't have lvc does it, do you run a separate lipo cut-off?
I do have a Mongoose 13.5 set-up already, but it lives in my Kyosho Mini Inferno. I have an extra Mamba 6800 set-up though, just wondering if it would run too hot in this Vendetta?
I might just run the crappy ST ESC I'm getting with 7 cells until it fries, then look into a Tekin B1r or something. I hear these VR3 motors don't last long either though, run excessively hot. How's yours holding up?

Thanks for the tips.

ah, that other website link you posted requires you be registered to view it.

I was wondering what the deal was with those CVD's with the screw in instead of the stud. Well, looks like I'll pick up a set of those and try them out.
Also add in some green springs, that was kind of what I was thinking, since I run it stiffer up front on my 1/10 SC's, but just wanted to ask.
I think I'll try some lighter weight fluid though.

Running the Novak XRS, huh? That doesn't have lvc does it, do you run a separate lipo cut-off?
I do have a Mongoose 13.5 set-up already, but it lives in my Kyosho Mini Inferno. I have an extra Mamba 6800 set-up though, just wondering if it would run too hot in this Vendetta?
I might just run the crappy ST ESC I'm getting with 7 cells until it fries, then look into a Tekin B1r or something. I hear these VR3 motors don't last long either though, run excessively hot. How's yours holding up?

Yeah, that other website/forum link requires you register to view it - so just do it. :D
It's the only succinct, and fully-explained, example I could find addressing the issue people have had -- and it explains the only good fix I've seen anywhere. And it's a good place to keep up to date on mini's, including your new SC and Inferno.

No - as with any/most brushed ESC's I've seen, the Novak XRS does not have a LVC. Like I said, the only reason I used it was previous success I've had using them in my other Dettas and the fact that they have larger wire and are intended for a larger scale, so handle the abuse any mini can dish out quite easily.
No - the mamba mini motors have a 20mm can that has proven not large enough to run in the Dettas, and all you'll do is burn it up. It just doesn't have the neccessary torque.
Also - if you plan on adding a Mongoosebe be aware that the Detta's require different pinions, as they use 0.6 Mod pinions compared to 0.5 Mod as used in your Inferno. They're both 48-pitch, but just a little different and won't mesh with each other.
The VR3 motors don't last forever, primarily because they are a modified motor in a closed endbell stock motor can and the brushes aren't replacable. Some run a little hotter than others, but that can be cured with the use of a motor heatsink (#DTXC8279) http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXJPU9&P=ML
You'll probably torch that ST ESC the first run, running it off a 7-cell pack. The other problem with the crappy stock ST ESC, don't know why he's sending that instead of the updated SC ESC, is that it has to be reset every time you use it - so be ready for the pain in the neck.... or just upgrade. ;)

have fun

wow thanks for all the info guys. kinda makes me think twice about adding another ride to the garage. still looks like a fun little truck.

wow thanks for all the info guys. kinda makes me think twice about adding another ride to the garage. still looks like a fun little truck.

if anything there chased you off, then maybe you'd be in over your head anyway. LOL :D

nothing specific just with 3 crawlers the slash 4x4 and a mini baja I seem to have enoughdifferent directions to go. one of these days though. It is like a bad addiction. Haha

Back