Do they even make quad lipo battery chargers anymore?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nutts4RC

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
I have a venom quad charger. Not even 3 yrs old. I love it. I always use it. But i have only seen one quad charger and it was between 400 and 600. All i see is dual chargers anymore (meaning only two lipos can be charged at a time) i like the quad one bc 4 batteries can be done. Am i missing something or did they phase the quad chargers out in favor of the duals?

I got this about 10 years ago. Still on their website. Hitecrcd.com

Hitec X4 AC Plus 4 Port Acdc Multi-Charger

Yes. there are a few quad chargers there are also 8 battery chargers.just gotta go surfing.

I feel a good dual charger will out perform alot of the quad chargers out there. Meaning it will charge 4batteries just as fast or faster.

There are several different quad chargers still on the market but I personally dont understand why anyone would buy one. The overwhelming majority of them (if not all of them) are relatively weak per channel and for what they cost you could buy two good high powered dual chargers like the HOTA D6Pro. just my :2cents:

I have a venom quad charger. Not even 3 yrs old. I love it. I always use it. But i have only seen one quad charger and it was between 400 and 600. All i see is dual chargers anymore (meaning only two lipos can be charged at a time) i like the quad one bc 4 batteries can be done. Am i missing something or did they phase the quad chargers out in favor of the duals?
I really like my Venom Pro quad charger, I think I've had it for about 5 years now. I will be bummed when it dies. When I heard they were going out of business I debated getting another one but waited to long. Hope it hangs in there another 5 years.

I like the beach surfing is fun

There are several different quad chargers still on the market but I personally dont understand why anyone would buy one. The overwhelming majority of them (if not all of them) are relatively weak per channel and for what they cost you could buy two good high powered dual chargers like the HOTA D6Pro. just my :2cents:
Love my HOTA!

I totally agree with this ☝️. A very good dual port charger could possibly have you RCing all day long.
Heck, If my Hota D6 ever dies (going on fourth year now) I know I'd be getting another Hota. That D6 takes a beating in the spring/summer/fall when I have daylight. I also have to note that the new Hota S6 just looks so good for a bit more $$.
Your charging needs are... what? What is the number of cells of your packs, and their capacities?

I really like my Venom Pro quad charger, I think I've had it for about 5 years now. I will be bummed when it dies. When I heard they were going out of business I debated getting another one but waited to long. Hope it hangs in there another 5 years.
Me too bo me too. Bc I'm so used to using a quad charger i dont wanna ever use a dual so if that means i gotta pay extra for a quad when my venom dies ill do it. I can't believe they went out of business frickin amazing chargers
Yes. there are a few quad chargers there are also 8 battery chargers.just gotta go surfing.
I've never seen 8 before. Whered you come across these lol
I dont know how but id love to hear your thoughts on your reasoning Grey.

The reason I wouldn't buy a quad charger is the same reason Grey mentioned. The quad chargers are typically just two weak ass dual channel chargers tied to one user interface and shoved in a bigger box. That perfectly describes the Venom Pro. You'd be much better off buying two dual channel chargers. Just look at the specs...

Venom
  • Dual Input Power (AC/DC) - Input AC: 100-240V; Input DC: 11-18V Max
  • Circuit Power: 100W for charging max(x4); 5W for discharging(x4)
  • Charge current range - 0.1~7.0A
  • Discharge current range - 0.1~1.0A
  • Current drain for balancing LiPo - 300mAh/cell 1-15 cells
  • niCd/NiMH battery cell count - 1-15 Cells
  • Lithium battery cell count - 1-6 Series
  • Pb battery voltage - 2 to 20V
  • USB - 5.3V / 2.3A(x2)
Hota D6-Pro
  • Input Voltage: AC100~240V / DC 6.5~30V
  • Charge Current: 0.1~15A * 2
  • Charge Power:
    • DC 325W * 2(650W)
    • AC 200W(Support power distribution)
  • Discharge Power:
    • Internal discharge: 15W * 2(balance port 10W)
    • External discharge: 325W * 2
  • Battery Type:
    • LiHv/LiPo/LiFe/Lilon/Lixx : 1~6S
    • NiZn/Nicd/NiMH : 1~16S
    • Smart Battery : 1~6S
    • Lead Acid(Pb) : 2~24V
    • Enelop : 1~16S
  • Balance Current: 1600mA * 2
  • Discharge Current: 0.1~3A * 2
  • External Discharge Current: 1~15A * 2
  • USB Output: 5V / 2.1A
  • Dimensions: 108×105 ×76mm
  • Net Weight: 555g
The Venom charger is probably fine for most people, but get into bigger batteries with higher mAh, and you will see the Venom charger fall flat on its face. And considering it costs almost twice what the Hota costs (by the way, Redcat is now selling the Venom Pro charger under a new name), with half the performance, and a lot less features, I'd buy two Hota's for sure.

Another reason is...
Look at the balance current for the Venom. It is 300mAh. The Hota is 1600mAh. This means once one cell reaches 4.2v in balance mode, it still charges that cell, but drains off the current through the balance circuit. At only 300mAh, the Venom will slow way down once it goes into balance mode, where the Hota with the 1600mAh circuit will be chugging away a LOT faster. So the Hota will finish charging, and you'll likely be able to run that pack dead again, long before the Venom even finishes charging.

Last edited:
The reason I wouldn't buy a quad charger is the ssme reason Grey mentioned. The quad chargers are typicslly just two weak ass dusl channel chargers tied to one user interface and shoved in a bigger box. You'd be much better off buying two dual channel chargers. Just look at the specs...

Venom
  • Dual Input Power (AC/DC) - Input AC: 100-240V; Input DC: 11-18V Max
  • Circuit Power: 100W for charging max(x4); 5W for discharging(x4)
  • Charge current range - 0.1~7.0A
  • Discharge current range - 0.1~1.0A
  • Current drain for balancing LiPo - 300mAh/cell 1-15 cells
  • niCd/NiMH battery cell count - 1-15 Cells
  • Lithium battery cell count - 1-6 Series
  • Pb battery voltage - 2 to 20V
  • USB - 5.3V / 2.3A(x2)
Hota D6 Pro
  • Input Voltage: AC100~240V / DC 6.5~30V
  • Charge Current: 0.1~15A * 2
  • Charge Power:
    • DC 325W * 2(650W)
    • AC 200W(Support power distribution)
  • Discharge Power:
    • Internal discharge: 15W * 2(balance port 10W)
    • External discharge: 325W * 2
  • Battery Type:
    • LiHv/LiPo/LiFe/Lilon/Lixx : 1~6S
    • NiZn/Nicd/NiMH : 1~16S
    • Smart Battery : 1~6S
    • Lead Acid(Pb) : 2~24V
    • Enelop : 1~16S
  • Balance Current: 1600mA * 2
  • Discharge Current: 0.1~3A * 2
  • External Discharge Current: 1~15A * 2
  • USB Output: 5V / 2.1A
  • Dimensions: 108×105 ×76mm
  • Net Weight: 555g
The Venom charger is probably fine for most people, but get into bigger batteries with higher mAH, and you will see the Venom charger fall flat on its face. And considering it costs almost twice what the Hota costs (by the way, Redcat is now selling the Venom Pro charger under a new name), with half the performance, snd a lot less features, I'd buy two Hota's for sure.
☝️ agreed! The Venom quad is $220 retail you can get two HOTA D6Pro chargers for $236 from racedayquads.com. For an extra $16 the Hotas are far superior. Plus the D6Pro can also be used as a benchtop power supply running off a LiPo which I dont believe the Venom (or any other quad charger that I'm aware of) can do.

Well I still like my Venom so there! :p 🤣 you guys make a good point. I have never found my Venom to be lacking for my needs, but if and when it dies I would probably lean towards the HOTA, especially if they made a quad charger! 🤣

Well I still like my Venom so there! :p 🤣 you guys make a good point. I have never found my Venom to be lacking for my needs, but if and when it dies I would probably lean towards the HOTA, especially if they made a quad charger! 🤣
If it works for ya then rock it! :)

With a quality Duo charger you can charge unlimited number of batteries in Parallel using a para-board similar to this:
https://www.amazon.com/Yasoca-Parallel-Charging-Balanced-Lithium/dp/B08SWMM879/

Idea is that with 40A per port you can hook up several packs on each port with 2S packs on port 1 and 4S packs on port 2, the options are far more versatile with a quality charger ;)

I prefer the iCharger series myself, more info here:
Basically a few balance charger boards hooked up if I'm not miataken? I didnt think of that i wasn't sure if that would overload anything or not
I totally agree with this ☝️. A very good dual port charger could possibly have you RCing all day long.
Heck, If my Hota D6 ever dies (going on fourth year now) I know I'd be getting another Hota. That D6 takes a beating in the spring/summer/fall when I have daylight. I also have to note that the new Hota S6 just looks so good for a bit more $$.

Your charging needs are... what? What is the number of cells of your packs, and their capacities?
4s mostly. Between 7000mah and up
☝️ agreed! The Venom quad is $220 retail you can get two HOTA D6Pro chargers for $236 from racedayquads.com. For an extra $16 the Hotas are far superior. Plus the D6Pro can also be used as a benchtop power supply running off a LiPo which I dont believe the Venom (or any other quad charger that I'm aware of) can do.
Thank you grey and wicked. Thats what i needed to find out the specs between the two bc i just got back into the hobby a year ago and i really didnt research chargers at all bc i didnt know squat about what was what so thank you both for the clarification i will def look into the hota.

Last edited:
I could not agree more with two duals versus one quad.
You can still get the Dynamite P4. It is a good charger but the specs are not as good as some dual chargers.
A buddy of mine got a Ultra P4 and I wanted one but they do not make it anymore so I got the Dynamite Ultra P2. I do love the Bluetooth for phone control and monitoring.
I just got a Hota D6 Pro and love it even more than my Dynamite P2. The only thing I miss on the Hota is the Bluetooth on the P2.

PXL_20230116_0532544662(1).jpg

Last edited:
I could not agree more with two duals versus one quad.
You can still get the Dynamite P4. It is a good charger but the specs are not as good as some dual chargers.
A buddy of mine got a Ultra P4 and I wanted one but they do not make it anymore so I got the Dynamite Ultra P2. I do love the Bluetooth for phone control and monitoring.
I just got a Hota D6 Pro and love it even more than my Dynamite P2. The only thing I miss on the Hota is the Bluetooth on the P2.

View attachment 158447
Thats cool man. I'm actually thinking about getting the hota S6 instead of the other hota that two other people reccomended. But idk yet
Basically a few balance charger boards hooked up if I'm not miataken? I didnt think of that i wasn't sure if that would overload anything or not

4s mostly. Between 7000mah and up

Thank you grey and wicked. Thats what i needed to find out the specs between the two bc i just got back into the hobby a year ago and i really didnt research chargers at all bc i didnt know squat about what was what so thank you both for the clarification i will def look into the hota.
For greywolf and Wickedfrog whats the difference between the D6 pro and the hota S6? Does one offer a bluetooth function? TIA in advance yall.

...whats the difference between the D6 pro and the hota S6? Does one offer a bluetooth function? TIA in advance yall.
The S6 has more power when running on AC current, but that's really the only difference. That and the S6 doesn't have the wireless phone charger built into the top of the charger. Neither have bluetooth. If I needed more power than the D6 has on AC, I would just buy a DC power supply and run it on DC. To me, the S6 isn't worth the $40 higher pricetag, unless you really just want a high power AC charger.

One really cool feature of both chargers is the built in power supply. You can use the Hota's to power anything up to I believe 36v. So lets say you have a servo testor that normally you would hook a battery to for power. You can simply power it with the Hota, and with that you can run the servo at 6v, 7.4, or 8.4, as opposed to being limited to the voltage your battery puts out. In this vid, I show this feature around the 2:30 mark. I don't know of any other charger that has this feature.