dissapointed w/my red dot

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dub c

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
I was looking forward to a good day of spring time bashing today, but things didnt work out for me and my T maxx. My gently used Picco red dot started eating glow plugs like they were easter candy. Long story short... after removing the head I found what I believe were bearing fragments.
This is my second picco so I'm familiar with its tuning quirks, I had it tuned well. Its never been overheated, and often preheated with a competition heat head warmer. What is killing me is this engine is just past the one gallon mark, I'm kinda upset about this.

For those of you running a Picco red dot, be warned. Bearings are gonna likely be the cause of failure.

Its not to late to save this engine. I would like to discuss what quality, and brand of bearings to buy. I'm not to conserned about price,I appreciate qualiy parts. links would be nice.

What you need to check is the block. If the crank ate up the area under the carb where the valve is you may want to consider a new block. It'll never run right if there's to much tolerance between the crank scoop and block.

il do that. I'm hoping thats not the case. if it is... this engine is a key chain, i wont do that.

Did you buy this motor used? If so everyone says there's only been less than one gallon thru a motor to sell it.

No. I bought it new

seems to be a common occourance with these picco's
a good set of ceramics from boco should set you on the right path,but the way people rave about these things i wouldnt expect so many dramas with them
fortunatly the gentleman i bought mine off had already replaced the bearings so i'm only left with tuning fun

I've got about 2 gallons thru my .26max that i bought brand new. Also having this issue with my front bearing seal leaking. Actually its damn near pouring. It still runs great even with the leak and is holding a tune still but I'm ordering a set of boca ceramics this week to go ahead and fix it. First off it was the carb slide leaking due to too much back pressure from running the stock manifold off tmaxx and a small block pipe. Fixed that with a 1/8 scale THS manifold and pipe with the small to big adapter from racer1966. I also believe that from all the rave about picco quality they sure do have alot of leaking issues. Even though they have these issues it still is not enough to stop me from liking picco engines. I just now know with my next new one to go ahead and change out the bearings and run a bb pipe and manifold on it.

for sure its all a learning curve but you think picco would do something about these issues,i mean why state that you can use the standard exhaust when clearly it causes problems

Sixty bucks for a set of ceramics. That got me thinking it would be like polishing a turd. I've got minor pitting on the top of the piston, and the question of what if....
I'm almost thinking of giving Dynamite a try. So, for me as of now the Red dot is no better engine. Plus you can buy 2 Dynamite .19s for the cost of one picco, and most likely get more grip time out of each. Plus my heart is just not into the Maxx this year.
Picco=paperweight

for sure its all a learning curve but you think picco would do something about these issues,i mean why state that you can use the standard exhaust when clearly it causes problems

The exhaust only causes the engine to run a little slower than what it's capable of. I don't believe any amount of restriction is going to cause any major issues. Crank bearings and carb slides leak, that's just how they are.

---------- Post added at 4:33 AM ---------- Previous post was at 4:30 AM ----------

I do understand that a pre-mature bearing failure sucks though:(

i got a 1/8 system in the mail so i guess time will tell if thats causing issues,i am however getting a small amount of fuel leaking from the carb boot atm,now I'm hoping its just excessive backpressure causing this

Before i installed the BB exhaust system on mine the carb slide and boot leak was really bad. Soaking the front on engine. Now with the BB system that particular leak is minimal at most. Not even enough to concern me at all. The engine really woke up and cranks easier idles more stable and is much more responsive indeed. As far as the front bearing goes i priced a set of boca ceramic bearings for $39.95 so thats the set I'm gonna be installing. If interested here is the part number for the boca ceramics for picco .26max.

#ENK-091C-LP
front bearing size 7X17X5mm
Rear is 13X24X6mm

Thats cheap for ceramics, I put a set in my rb after the rear grenaded and it was like 69 buck plus ship
I'm really hoping the exhaust will fix my probs or I'm gonna scream lol

My lrpz28r s3 has been running like a champ. Was going to get a picco but they were out of stock for two months, after that I went with the bigger block :)

Well, after cleaning and inspecting my engine, what I have found is not a complete bearing failure. What I did find was a distorted, or out of round inner ring on the rear bearing. so the debris was likely bits of engine case.

So she's trashed??
Wanna part it out I could do with a decent carb for some $$ if ya interested pm me
I guess on the bright side you could always get another one and have this one as a spare

pop out the piston/rod and stick it on ya keyring

this would be my second key ring, as its my second worn out red dot.

Does one of the two still look really nice? I'd like to have one for mock up pictures but I want a nice/new looking engine for what I'll be using the pics for. If so,let me what it'd take for you to part with one.

Back