Going to my first race next Saturday 7/8/23

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BarnFabRC

RCTalk Talkaholic
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Racing
I’m going to be in my first RC race next Saturday at Pitstop Hobbies in Mount Joy PA. Here is the flyer…

IMG_2156.jpeg

Going to be tuning up the ex-rustler turned Slash as it’s the only thing I have that fits in a category haha. Anyone that races SCT’s have some tips for what weight fluid I should be running in the diffs? Currently I’m running 100k in the rear 1Million in the center and 500K in the front. That setup works great for what I’ve been doing on pavement but I’d imagine it’s a bit aggressive for a clay track.

I got a set of J Concepts Sprinters and a set of Panther T894’s to try for tires. Shocks are 40w front and 35w rear.

I'm super excited to finally go racing! Haha at nearly 46 years old I feel excited like a kid going to Disney.

Here’s the truck.

IMG_2126.jpeg

Have a good and fun time! My first race was on indoor carpet, with my slash 2wd brushed at the time. Back in 2016 when I was 7/8. My first race this year with my buggy was a couple weeks ago, indoor carpet, 4wd 13.5 buggy. Man those guys are fast. Practice and tuning is key.

For diff oils, what you have right now is wayy to thick for off road clay / dirt. I would talk to the locals to see what they run both in SCT and 1/8. It will most likely be 10k front / rear. Maybe even thinner. 100k to 300k in the center. really depends on track conditions. I know a few people that go up there. One was there today. I think he runs for Xray (1/8 buggy)

For tires, they should be able to hook up, but if not, you might be able to try out some traction compound?

I would also talk to the locals on tires if you need to change. Every track has different conditions. But people can give you a base line or starting point for different tracks in general if they haven't been / used to that track.

Oops, nvm about that. He runs for Xray still but a 1/8 Truggy. He was at Trains and Lanes outdoor track this weekend.

I would talk to the locals to see what they run both in SCT and 1/8.
I put a post up on the Pitstop Hobbies Racer page on FB but since it was my first post it’s sitting in purgatory until one of the mods approves it 😂

No matter what it’s gonna be fun. I just hope I don’t come in last!

First event is always special and you will always remember it. Have fun. Not to worry if you come in last. Heck, from there everything is up. ;)

Good looking rig. 'AC'
Yep. I remember my first race. Even though it was 7 years ago. Got 3rd in the A main. I was running new set of wheels and tires, the tires came unglued from the wheel, I didnt know what was going on so I kept on going. Lol. It was one of the rear wheels too.

First event is always special and you will always remember it. Have fun. Not to worry if you come in last. Heck, from there everything is up. ;)

Good looking rig. 'AC'
I can’t wait! It’s definitely gonna be fun no matter what happens.
Sounds like a ton of fun.
Should be. Gonna be picking up my dad on the way. It’ll be good to get him out of the house and he can be my pit guy haha. He’s 77 I got him his first RC for Father’s Day. A little Mini Z 4x4 Jeep he uses to chase my moms cats around the house. If he shows enough interest I might grab a 2wd slash for him so he can run too.
1st race will be A giant learning vent.(just remember this is fun) it wont matter if you dnf..
It definitely will be a learning experience. I’m watching video of last night’s events from the same track now. I think I’ll be placed well running with the SCT’s. The buggy guys look FAST!

I can’t wait! It’s definitely gonna be fun no matter what happens.

Should be. Gonna be picking up my dad on the way. It’ll be good to get him out of the house and he can be my pit guy haha. He’s 77 I got him his first RC for Father’s Day. A little Mini Z 4x4 Jeep he uses to chase my moms cats around the house. If he shows enough interest I might grab a 2wd slash for him so he can run too.

It definitely will be a learning experience. I’m watching video of last night’s events from the same track now. I think I’ll be placed well running with the SCT’s. The buggy guys look FAST!
Great idea grabbing dad, he will love it.

Good Luck!

If I was going to race a Slash on dirt, I would start with 10-7-3 in the diffs and 400CST in the shocks then go from there.

Pretty good tuning guide here to help you make adjustments depending on what you want the truck to do:
https://www.teknorc.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/Set_Up_Guide.pdf

Most important thing I would figure out are the Tires - talk to the locals to figure out what compound they are running for the track

The following setup is for high grip clay so he's showing thicker fluids that won't do well for a low grip outdoor track, but everything else on his setup would be a good starting point:
http://razorrcblog.blogspot.com/2016/04/slash-4x4-setup-sheet-for-41016.html

If I was going to race a Slash on dirt, I would start with 10-7-3 in the diffs and 400CST in the shocks then go from there.
What does 400cst equal in oil weight? I have a pretty good assortment of Losi shock oil but they’re all 20w, 35w, 40w etc… I have 20w to 90w.

And then for diff oil I have all the traxxas ones from 10,000w - 1,000,000w

A lot of good information, thanks!

Losi 35w comes in at 420CST; Team Associated 35w 425CST.

Differs manufacturer to manufacturer. Usually listed along with weight on their websites. At least it is with Losi and AE.

Pencil-whipped a Wt/CST comparison chart by manufacturer I keep in my set-up book. That way, can select a brand close to what I think I need.

+1 to what Arnie said, CST is industry standard and you don't have to be spot on at 400CST, it's just a guess based on my experience racing 4WD SCT in the past:
https://www.teknoforums.com/threads/build-review-sct410-3.1389/

1688339969240.png

*** Side note, not all manufactures are consistent with their blends so I have bought a viscometer and blend my own fluids to ensure I get consistent results every time I do a rebuild ;)

+1 to what Arnie said, CST is industry standard and you don't have to be spot on at 400CST, it's just a guess based on my experience racing 4WD SCT in the past:
https://www.teknoforums.com/threads/build-review-sct410-3.1389/

View attachment 168286

*** Side note, not all manufactures are consistent with their blends so I have bought a viscometer and blend my own fluids to ensure I get consistent results every time I do a rebuild ;)
That chart is great! I’m going to print that out and hang a copy at my RC bench. Thanks!

Back