Dad Advice - you youngins are free to chime in

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WickedFog

Starter of too many projects
Supporter
Excellence Award
Hospitality Award
Rig of the Month Winner
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Crawling
  3. Scale Builder
So I talk with my kiddo on the phone sometimes where we go into some deep conversations, and he is constantly surprising me with stuff he learns about, and understands.

This morning at 5:24am his time he calls to shoot the chit. Somehow we got on the subject of religeon, this and that, then somehow he tricked me into mentioning the Free Masons. So he did a Google and starts telling me what the Free Masons are as he was learning it. He then finds something mentioning the Illuminati, so down that path he goes.

Then he starts telling me all kinds of details about the war starting up in Yemen. I don't watch the news, so I had no clue that was even going on. I mean, he told me the play by play since it started til now.

I am sitting here dumbfounded how to take the fact that an 11 year old kid is talking to me about grown up things that even I don't know much about, if anything. I am a bit of a history buff, so I am happy he is learning. But is it too soon for him to learn this stuff?

Seriously... should I be concerned? Would be curious to hear other thoughts.

Sounds like you got a pretty smart kid there. I wouldn't sweat it as now a days, kids have access/are exposed to all kinds of adult issues.

As long as he understands that these are adult topics that he shouldn't be concerned with, great to be aware, but he needs to remember to be a kid, enjoy this time and let the grownups worry about world issues. 👍

Heck, my kids are almost 12 and 15 and they barely have convos like this with me. Lol

I don't talk about that kind of stuff
I'm to busy talking to my dad about RC stuff. Or watching TV.
Which when I do talk about RC stuff, most of the time, he zones out. 🤣

Sounds like you got a pretty smart kid there. I wouldn't sweat it as now a days, kids have access/are exposed to all kinds of adult issues.

As long as he understands that these are adult topics that he shouldn't be concerned with, great to be aware, but he needs to remember to be a kid, enjoy this time and let the grownups worry about world issues. 👍

Heck, my kids are almost 12 and 15 and they barely have convos like this with me. Lol
It's not often that we talk about much more than Roblox, or what he had for dinner. But every so-often he hits me with "I wonder why the F35 isn't as highly thought of as the F22 Raptor? The F35 has VTOL... do you know what that is?"

I of course had to do a quick Google while talking gibberish to hide the fact that I was stalling to give him an answer... moments later... "Why yes kiddo. The Vertical Take Off and Landing function". "Of course I know what that is" 🤪🤔
I don't talk about that kind of stuff
I'm to busy talking to my dad about RC stuff. Or watching TV.
Which when I do talk about RC stuff, most of the time, he zones out. 🤣
You should. As a parent, I really enjoy watching my kid grow up. And him telling me things he's learning about makes me happy, even if it does worry me a bit that he's learning some fairly advanced stuff. I just don't know sometimes. But I still love the talks.

Last edited:
Without a doubt Breydon has a good head on his shoulder's.
I would never throw up a road block and let nature take his course.
That's a good way to look at it I guess. We didn't have all this influential stuff like YouTube when I was growing up though. I did spend all my summer earnings on a computer when I was 15 though. But the internet back then didn't even have images. Let alone video. But I did tell my boss one time when he asked how I was able to learn MasterCam so quickly, that it was because I played video games 😜

Hey Kevin,

It's good he's talking to you about these things as he matures. Time to worry is when he stops talking to you about, say for example, world events.

Young minds are easily molded by distorted views in this crazy world. Esp. with such easy access to and by nefarious individuals with devious plans.

My thoughts. Encourage Breydon in his searches and talks, but listen ever so carefully to ensure he is not being led down a path it will be difficult to extract him from.

'AC'

Hey Kevin,

It's good he's talking to you about these things as he matures. Time to worry is when he stops talking to you about, say for example, world events.

Young minds are easily molded by distorted views in this crazy world. Esp. with such easy access to and by nefarious individuals with devious plans.

My thoughts. Encourage Breydon in his searches and talks, but listen ever so carefully to ensure he is not being led down a path it will be difficult to extract him from.

'AC'
This is exactly as I have tried to be with him. I have his Google accounts on my phone, so I can see the things he watches. I have only felt I needed to talk to him a couple times, and they weren't really even that bad. Just cussing. And no, I do not have the kid filter on Breydon's account. I don't need Google or YouTube monitoring what my kid does on the computer. I can do that just fine.

It's Breydon's Google-Fu that really surprises me. He has a question, he looks it up and reads. He has brought up things I will not discuss here because they are quite political, but he seems to have the same concerns about stuff that I do.

He was also talking about conspiracy theories. I told him not to pay much attention to that stuff, and he replied "but you believe the same stuff!". I had no response.

I'm a father to a 4 year old and 13 month old, so I'm not quite there yet. But I would make sure the things he reads and sees aren't causing him stress. Vocalizing what he sees is a great way of processing. I'd throw in a "hey bud, is reading this stressing you out?" once in a while to make sure. Also ensure the source of the materials aren't graphic or sensationalized. I remember seeing my first graphic violent death at 15 during the Iraq War and that changed me. So, just keep up with the talks.

I'm a father to a 4 year old and 13 month old, so I'm not quite there yet. But I would make sure the things he reads and sees aren't causing him stress. Vocalizing what he sees is a great way of processing. I'd throw in a "hey bud, is reading this stressing you out?" once in a while to make sure. Also ensure the source of the materials aren't graphic or sensationalized. I remember seeing my first graphic violent death at 15 during the Iraq War and that changed me. So, just keep up with the talks.
Thanks. Yeah, it doesn't seem to stress him out at all. At least not so far. But we do have talks where we have discussed things that may influence him in a bad way. He even complains about some of the crap they try to feed them at school. Not the food though. He says that's ok 😆

when you dont stay up on current events. you will wake up one day and Go wow..
Very true. I try to, as much as I can stand. But only through media sources other than the mainstream media. I can't stand that crap.

When I was that age I was always into the military stuff, tanks, jets, etc. It's a natural step to be curious about what's going on and involving such things. When we were kids WW2, Korea, Vietnam were still a hot topics, war movies and such. Now the middle east conflicts are the closest they can identify with.

At least he's not just burying himself in the stupid drama of following influencers. I'd say he's on the right path as long as that's not all that he concentrates on.

yeah.
It's not often that we talk about much more than Roblox, or what he had for dinner. But every so-often he hits me with "I wonder why the F35 isn't as highly thought of as the F22 Raptor? The F35 has VTOL... do you know what that is?"

I of course had to do a quick Google while talking gibberish to hide the fact that I was stalling to give him an answer... moments later... "Why yes kiddo. The Vertical Take Off and Landing function". "Of course I know what that is" 🤪🤔

You should. As a parent, I really enjoy watching my kid grow up. And him telling me things he's learning about makes me happy, even if it does worry me a bit that he's learning some fairly advanced stuff. I just don't know sometimes. But I still love the talks.
VTOL?!?!? I like it better on land.......
When I was that age I was always into the military stuff, tanks, jets, etc. It's a natural step to be curious about what's going on and involving such things. When we were kids WW2, Korea, Vietnam were still a hot topics, war movies and such. Now the middle east conflicts are the closest they can identify with.

At least he's not just burying himself in the stupid drama of following influencers. I'd say he's on the right path as long as that's not all that he concentrates on.
the influencer thing is just idiotic. Come on kids, get a little bit of a life goin 'eh?

His knowledge of the F22 and F35, as well as his favorite - the Warthog, comes from playing simulation games, seeing the jets, and looking up info on them. I told him I made a bunch of the gimbals for the Predator drones, and that's when he started telling me about Yemen lol.

I'm trying to get him interested in cooking actual food so that way he can do the cooking when he's here, but so far he's not falling for it 😂

Nothing the freemasons do have anything to do with the Illumanti. It's nothing exciting and quite very boring. They teach morals and lessons through alligories. You hear it enough times it makes you fall asleep. Most use it to get out of the house once a week to have a drink and get a crappy meal.

Nothing the freemasons do have anything to do with the Illumanti. It's nothing exciting and quite very boring. They teach morals and lessons through alligories. You hear it enough times it makes you fall asleep. Most use it to get out of the house once a week to have a drink and get a crappy meal.
Yesh, that's kinda what I figured. When he was searching for info, secret societies came up, then he saw the Illuminati mentioned.

Yesh, that's kinda what I figured. When he was searching for info, secret societies came up, then he saw the Illuminati mentioned.
It's nothing special, it's just like joining any other club. You have boring meeting and people bitching about paying bills. I see it as an excuse for most to get out of the house.

So I talk with my kiddo on the phone sometimes where we go into some deep conversations, and he is constantly surprising me with stuff he learns about, and understands.

This morning at 5:24am his time he calls to shoot the chit. Somehow we got on the subject of religeon, this and that, then somehow he tricked me into mentioning the Free Masons. So he did a Google and starts telling me what the Free Masons are as he was learning it. He then finds something mentioning the Illuminati, so down that path he goes.

Then he starts telling me all kinds of details about the war starting up in Yemen. I don't watch the news, so I had no clue that was even going on. I mean, he told me the play by play since it started til now.

I am sitting here dumbfounded how to take the fact that an 11 year old kid is talking to me about grown up things that even I don't know much about, if anything. I am a bit of a history buff, so I am happy he is learning. But is it too soon for him to learn this stuff?

Seriously... should I be concerned? Would be curious to hear other thoughts.
Nope don’t be concerned, kids just know more things. The internet teaches them young. If they use it wright. That is the hard thing.