The X-Terminator build & repair log

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J’sCrawler

RCTalk Addict
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Crawling
  3. Scale Builder
  4. Flying
So I wanted a nitro car to try something outside of my electric stuff, also because i Couldn’t control my rc addiction. I ended up getting an Xtm buggy, based off my brothers recommendation. He always had a good time with his, it ran well, it never broke anything either. I have no idea if it’s a .21 or the 24.7 engine. I was looking into a truggy but didn’t see anything in my price range that was complete. A good slider would be nice once I'm familiar with how linkages connect to brakes and throttle. I’ve been consumed with YouTube tutorials on rebuilding engines, engine cross compatibility, and tuning guides, along with learning about fuels. I ordered some basic things to get me started, once I get it, I’ll try to start it up but may end up rebuilding or even replacing the motor.
Does anyone know what body would fit this, is any 1/8 buggy about the same size?
IMG_0090.png

Picture 1 of 1

Last edited:
good luck with your project. personally my 8th scale nitro buggy is my favourite car. I'll try to find a body and link it in a reply!

So I wanted a nitro car to try something outside of my electric stuff, also because i Couldn’t control my rc addiction. I ended up getting an Xtm buggy, based off my brothers recommendation. He always had a good time with his, it ran well, it never broke anything either. I have no idea if it’s a .21 or the 24.7 engine. I was looking into a truggy but didn’t see anything in my price range that was complete. A good slider would be nice once I'm familiar with how linkages connect to brakes and throttle. I’ve been consumed with YouTube tutorials on rebuilding engines, engine cross compatibilit, and tuning guides, along with learning about fuels. I ordered some basic things to get me started, once I get it, I’ll try to start it up but may end up rebuilding or even replacing the motor.
Does anyone know what body would fit this, is any 1/8 buggy about the same size?
View attachment 176301
Gratz on your new buggy!

Buggy bodies are all roughly the same size but not always the same shape especially around the nose of the body. Also the mounting holes may nopt line up but you can always make new holes to match your existing posts. The best thing to do is go find pics of the original body and try to find a replacement thats roughly the same shape. Again, especially the nose of the kit although you can make cuts in order to try and make it fit. You can if you so wanted cut the nose completely off the body.

Id start buy looking for bodies specifically for that RC though.

too bad you don't live in canada. the hobby shop i buy from has the original bodies
https://webstore.eliminator-rc.com/xtm-green-xterminator-body
https://webstore.eliminator-rc.com/xtm-rtr-xterminator-body
And even the aftermarket roll cage
https://webstore.eliminator-rc.com/hard-body-z-roll-cage-xterminator
But bodies such as the one below have enough room to drill 2 holes at the rear
https://www.amainhobbies.com/leadfi...tactic-1-8-buggy-body-clear-lfrn2018/p1444050
Wow they have everything….. I like the cage, I really didn’t think that was around anymore……
those bodies are ugly as sin!
Thanks for the link to that store I may need something from them
Gratz on your new buggy!

Buggy bodies are all roughly the same size but not always the same shape especially around the nose of the body. Also the mounting holes may nopt line up but you can always make new holes to match your existing posts. The best thing to do is go find pics of the original body and try to find a replacement thats roughly the same shape. Again, especially the nose of the kit although you can make cuts in order to try and make it fit. You can if you so wanted cut the nose completely off the body.

Id start buy looking for bodies specifically for that RC though.
It’s the original body that I don’t really care for, that paint/ color scheme is awful that’s why I’d like to find something that fits even if it takes some work.

Wow they have everything….. I like the cage, I really didn’t think that was around anymore……
those bodies are ugly as sin!
Thanks for the link to that store I may need something from them

It’s the original body that I don’t really care for, that paint/ color scheme is awful that’s why I’d like to find something that fits even if it takes some work.
I meant find clear bodies, if you can, that are meant for that specific kit.

So I wanted a nitro car to try something outside of my electric stuff, also because i Couldn’t control my rc addiction. I ended up getting an Xtm buggy, based off my brothers recommendation. He always had a good time with his, it ran well, it never broke anything either. I have no idea if it’s a .21 or the 24.7 engine. I was looking into a truggy but didn’t see anything in my price range that was complete. A good slider would be nice once I'm familiar with how linkages connect to brakes and throttle. I’ve been consumed with YouTube tutorials on rebuilding engines, engine cross compatibilit, and tuning guides, along with learning about fuels. I ordered some basic things to get me started, once I get it, I’ll try to start it up but may end up rebuilding or even replacing the motor.
View attachment 176301
Nice score. There's alot to go over with nitro's. They are a completely different animal compared to Elec. There's aloy more to clean and change. When restoring one. I've done my fair share. And it's fun and definitely challenging..

Bodies are all basically the same for buggies. Need to messure center to center of the wheels. And use that to find a body to fit.

Got any questions or concerns don't hesitate to ask.

First thing is to know how Long it's been sitting for. And if engine still has compression. Or even if it turns over. Might need heat if it sat with fuel in it. And got all gummed up. Heat will be your friend with this one.

That buggy indeed looks beefy👍 can't wait to see her running

Nice score. There's alot to go over with nitro's. They are a completely different animal compared to Elec. There's aloy more to clean and change. When restoring one. I've done my fair share. And it's fun and definitely challenging..

Bodies are all basically the same for buggies. Need to messure center to center of the wheels. And use that to find a body to fit.

Got any questions or concerns don't hesitate to ask.

First thing is to know how Long it's been sitting for. And if engine still has compression. Or even if it turns over. Might need heat if it sat with fuel in it. And got all gummed up. Heat will be your friend with this one.
Sadly there’s no history so I’ll just have to fiddle with it

That must be a new listing…. The seller sure is proud of that thing…..
Yeah, thats the problem when you go looking for old parts/stock. Theres not alot of them so people that have them usually want a premium. Last fuel tank I bought for my Losi LST2 I paid over $80 for because you can hardly find them anymore. :(

Yeah, thats the problem when you go looking for old parts/stock. Theres not alot of them so people that have them usually want a premium. Last fuel tank I bought for my Losi LST2 I paid over $80 for because you can hardly find them anymore. :(
I've done worse. It's times like these when the memory is erased I am glad for. 🤣

Spur gear a little chewed up but probably useable.
IMG_4974.jpeg

I’m going to continue tearing it down, but it looks like there was some real heat in this engine. I’m not an expert on these little nitro motors but I can tell we had some debris bouncing around in there. If I can find a sleeve that works I may rebuild, if that’s the extent of the damage.
The one way bearing looks kinda bad.
image.jpg

Last edited:
Spur gear a little chewed up but probably useable.
View attachment 176376
I’m going to continue tearing it down, but it looks like there was some real heat in this engine. I’m not an expert on these little nitro motors but I can tell we had some debris bouncing around in there. If I can find a sleeve that works I may rebuild, if that’s the extent of the damage.
The one way bearing looks kinda bad.
View attachment 176377
Back in my racing days I used to pinch my own sleeves with a die tool I made. Not the end of the world if you can’t find a matching set, unmatched sets tend not to last as long and honestly never really run or perform properly. Based off your first post, looks like you are newer to nitro. If that’s the case, I’d recommend a OS.21 engine. On the higher side price wise but out of the box they are pretty much tuned. P3 turbo plug and some VP 30%. Lots of times new guys to nitro can’t find a tune on a factory engine or they have leaks etc. Wouldn’t want a bad engine leaving a bad taste in your mouth. 👍🏻

IMO that engine is a paperweight. Could it be salvaged, sure but not worth it. That OS engine can be removed at a later date and installed in a nice MUGEN😉

Back in my racing days I used to pinch my own sleeves with a die tool I made. Not the end of the world if you can’t find a matching set, unmatched sets tend not to last as long and honestly never really run or perform properly. Based off your first post, looks like you are newer to nitro. If that’s the case, I’d recommend a OS.21 engine. On the higher side price wise but out of the box they are pretty much tuned. P3 turbo plug and some VP 30%. Lots of times new guys to nitro can’t find a tune on a factory engine or they have leaks etc. Wouldn’t want a bad engine leaving a bad taste in your mouth. 👍🏻

IMO that engine is a paperweight. Could it be salvaged, sure but not worth it. That OS engine can be removed at a later date and installed in a nice MUGEN😉
I have to disagree with the os being tuned already……not in my region anyway. I can’t honestly believe anything is tuned out of the box, but I get what you’re saying. Way out of the price range for this Xtm, if I had an HB kit or a Tekno kit sure, but I’m sticking to affordable, tried and true SH or LRP stuff. Something the original motor was based off of. It doesn’t need to be super fancy.
For $120 I can get it going again, if I can get the damn clutch bell off….

I have to disagree with the os being tuned already……not in my region anyway. I can’t honestly believe anything is tuned out of the box, but I get what you’re saying. Way out of the price range for this Xtm, if I had an HB kit or a Tekno kit sure, but I’m sticking to affordable, tried and true SH or LRP stuff. Something the original motor was based off of. It doesn’t need to be super fancy.
For $120 I can get it going again, if I can get the damn clutch bell off….
Disagree? Have you ever owned an OS engine after telling me you're a noob to Nitro?

Thats why I said "pretty much" tuned, very small adjustments to be made straight out of the box if any, I've owned 20-30 OS speeds in my time.

This is also why I said you can put it into a MUGEN (IMO the best racing RC made) in the future.

Either way, good luck brah.