Back on the Axe!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Xraycer

RCTalk VIP
Lifetime Supporter!
Supporter
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
  3. Crawling
  4. Flying
Mrs. X bought a cheapo acoustic during her college days, but come to realized thar it wasn't for her. It was living in her parent's attic until a few years ago when her mother reminded her about it. So, she brought home where it sat dormant in its case.
A few weeks ago, I got the itch to play Tracy Chapman's Fast Car. So, I dragged out from its long slumber, tuned it up, and YTed the song. It's been about 25yrs since I last played and it took a bit to get the fingers back, with even such a simple song. Since then, I've started relearning some of the old stuff I used to know and learning new stuff, and it's been a fun process.
Last week, I came across a deal I just couldn't pass up. A killer looking electric, with great reviews on YT, and for only $86 on Amazon!
It gets even better! A solicitation on the page informs me I can get $60 off this if I open a Prime store card. I got approved instantly and less than a week later, UPS dropped it off yesterday afternoon.
All I can say is Wow! Those reviewers were not exaggerating, it is a very nice quality guitar for even this low of a price point.
I dont know how it sounds through an amp yet, but the action is really nice. BTW, portable amp should be here tomorrow, and new quality Ernie Ball strings should arrive today. I've been plucking it all night and first thing this morning. Feels really good handling an electric guitar again.
Back in college, I saved up for a custom Carvin which was a high quality guitar, and this cheapo feels even better than how I remembered the Carvin. All that's left, is to hear how it sounds.
What do you think, @Tunedpipe ?
20230922_145422.jpg

Wow @Xraycer she looks like she will play smoking hot. Great looking guitar. I love the fret markers.
I've really been playing mine a lot lately which is a good thing.
It's amazing how well we play if we just step away from it for a while.
I've been playing my MIA Strat.

IMG_0454.JPG

I've tried to learn, but... I'm under-talented. :happy:
My cats made me give it up, they told me I suck. Seriously, not learning is one of my biggest regrets.

@Xraycer Glad to hear you rekindled your inner guitar hero.

My cats made me give it up, they told me I suck. Seriously, not learning is one of my biggest regrets.

@Xraycer Glad to hear you rekindled your inner guitar hero.
I've never been a guitar hero, nor will ever be, and I'm fine with that. I'll be playing just for me.

I just spent the last couple of hours changing out the strings and some minor tweaking to set things up to my preference. I also gave the neck and fret board a light rubbing of mineral oil to liven up the maple and rosewood.
My personal amp device should be here tomorrow.

It's nice to see other guitar players on this site. In the 80s I was the lead guitarist in a Slayer style speed band. This is something you don't see everyday, a real Jackson Soloist, my weapon of choice in those days. I mostly play a Les Paul these days.
20230923_185801.jpg

I've been playing for a long time but too many breaks in between sessions.
I only play for my wife. I used to play when all of my family got together years ago but they are all gone now.

Uncle on the left and my dad on the right.

Tim and Dad.jpg

My uncle was very cool, my dad was a man's private area and I did not get along with him.

Tim.jpg

It's nice to see other guitar players on this site. In the 80s I was the lead guitarist in a Slayer style speed band. This is something you don't see everyday, a real Jackson Soloist, my weapon of choice in those days. I mostly play a Les Paul these days.View attachment 172067
Sweet!
As a teenager in the 80's, we couldn't afford a guitar until I was able to work at 16, and then a school buddy sold me his Peavey for like $100. It was an aqua color or something, and I stripped off the paint and polyurethane just the barewood. I loved it!
Back in those days, Jackson and BC Rich were my dream guitars, but way too much money for a low income kid.
I'm shocked that guitars have not been impacted by inflation at all. Just the opposite. You can get a brand new Ibanez for less than $200! I don't recall being able to get any name brand, for anywhere near that price, when I was in high school.

Last edited:
I have several cheap guitars I've received from a friend as gifts and a few cheaper Squier's that I've modded that play every bit as good as my MIA Strat.

I have several cheap guitars I've received from a friend as gifts and a few cheaper Squier's that I've modded that play every bit as good as my MIA Strat.
That seems to be the concensus with these dirt cheap oversea guitars. They may need some minor tweaking, but for beginners, it's likely not even any issues at all. These decent quality and low prices will certainly entice more people to give it a try. Also, with all the availability of free tutorials online, it's just an outstanding time to want to pick up this interest at such a low cost.

One of my favorites, "they all are my fav" is a Grote 335 style my buddy from NY sent me for my BD a few years ago.
After some fret work and complete electronics upgrade, it plays and sounds incredible.
Dream 90 pups with Bourns pots. How sweet she is.

Grote.JPG

Silly thing is, I was looking at guitars the other day, just afraid it might sit in the corner. But I love music and wish I could play.
Never too late to start bud. Very relaxing. My wife loves it when I play.
I received this as a gift from my friend in NY a couple years ago and played it tonight. Awesome sounding guitar.
Another $129 guitar but with a little fret work, she is another sweet player. The pups are perfect, they sound really good.

IYV

IMG_0723.JPG

Silly thing is, I was looking at guitars the other day, just afraid it might sit in the corner. But I love music and wish I could play.
How cool would this look, even if it just sat in the corner of the room?
It could also make a good crawler obstacle 😃

A Jackson for only $200! Wow!
Screenshot_20230924_212611.jpg

How cool would this look, even if it just sat in the corner of the room?
It could also make a good crawler obstacle 😃

A Jackson for only $200! Wow!
View attachment 172126

While that is extemely badass, I think I would be more of a Bass man myself. Oh, and your not helping! :p

If only I knew what I was doing , been eyeballin' this Yamaha.
Can't go wrong with anything Yamaha. Always quality stuff. I'm pretty sure that Yamaha is not $200 bucks though.
All you would need then is an amp an an electric tuner. I'm not familiar with amp requirements for a bass, but these inexpensive, portable units seems to be getting decent reviews. Its not like you need something for a live show. YT has a ton of tutorials, product reviews, and just peoples' personal opinions/suggestions on just about any/every subject matter.
I don't read music. I've started with tablatures back in my high school days. Not just because I couldn't really afford it, but also because the basic music training would have bored me. I just wanted to play, or attempt to play, songs I liked. Music theory and stuff just wasn't, still isn't, important to me. I'm not a musician, just a  hack player. I can also pick up some easy stuff by ear, but that's never been my strong suit. There are many YT videos that includes tablatures right on the screen. I just pause the video, and write them down. Then try to learn them at my pace. I print out my blank tablature off the internet for free.
In all seriousness, I'm not trying to "peer pressure" you or anything. Just saying how easy and low cost it could be to get into it, without investing a whole lot of money which may not be well served.

Can't go wrong with anything Yamaha. Always quality stuff. I'm pretty sure that Yamaha is not $200 bucks though.
All you would need then is an amp an an electric tuner. I'm not familiar with amp requirements for a bass, but these inexpensive, portable units seems to be getting decent reviews. Its not like you need something for a live show. YT has a ton of tutorials, product reviews, and just peoples' personal opinions/suggestions on just about any/every subject matter.
I don't read music. I've started with tablatures back in my high school days. Not just because I couldn't really afford it, but also because the basic music training would have bored me. I just wanted to play, or attempt to play, songs I liked. Music theory and stuff just wasn't, still isn't, important to me. I'm not a musician, just a  hack player. I can also pick up some easy stuff by ear, but that's never been my strong suit. There are many YT videos that includes tablatures right on the screen. I just pause the video, and write them down. Then try to learn them at my pace. I print out my blank tablature off the internet for free.
In all seriousness, I'm not trying to "peer pressure" you or anything. Just saying how easy and low cost it could be to get into it, without investing a whole lot of money which may not be well served.

It would definitely be for my own pleasure, have no delusions of being good, but I'd like to give it a try. I tried taking a guitar class at night school once, but it just didn't stick. I think it was the reading music part that through me off.

It would definitely be for my own pleasure, have no delusions of being good, but I'd like to give it a try. I tried taking a guitar class at night school once, but it just didn't stick. I think it was the reading music part that through me off.
Unless you're looking to be an actual, well rounded musician, classes will be super boring at the very beginning level. I don't care to learn music theory and all that stuff.

Back