Converting 4-40 to 3mm

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coach Z

RCTalk Addict
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I've got a few alloy parts going onto my lst-2 build and I'd like to keep everything metric but the parts come tapped for 4-40, anyone know if I can get away with drilling them and tapping for 3mm. I know its very close and I'm worried about having enough strength once I'm done as they don't use very good aluminum for most of these parts.

Nope. I tried that with the dynamite engine brace. There wasn't enough material left, so I had to put locknuts on it. I did however drill out and tap the bottoms of my engine mounts and put 4mm button heads so I'd have less engine movement. That seemed to work ok. I drilled out and replaced the upper shock mount bolts with 4mm cap head bolts as well.

As for everything else, I just screwed in 3mm screws where it was into plastic. Except for the diff housings and transmission halves. It's held up fine since last year.

I did the 4mm stuff a few months ago.

You knew where I was going with that olds! Yeah I did the same Tony's screws 3mm all the way around 4mm into the shock towers and the engine brace was what I had in mind as well as the new aluminum servo mounts I got (the new build needed some bling!) Well I'll have to order some 4-40's then.

4-40 is closer to 2.5mm, if I'm not mistaken.

Back