Vegrant - NSE

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnnydmd

Beer drinker and hell racer
Supporter
Rig of the Month Winner
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Racing
I had a car sort of "fall into my hands" last week. It was a teammate's car (Rustler) that I sold him an alloy Slash transmission to a couple of years ago. I regretted that recently after trying to find another one of those things. So, I asked him to buy it back, and he offered to sell me the entire car, plus a cache of spare parts and other items (including one of my custom chassis) for a very generous price. I didn't need another car, but I couldn't pass it up. He had a very rare Vega body with it and an extended chassis kit.

I was originally planning on selling the car after poaching the trans from it, but decided I'd go ahead and keep it since after selling everything else, I'd be close to breaking even factoring in what I would have paid for that transmission. Also, it has a brand-new OS .18tz in it, which also makes it hard to let go. I got to building it last weekend.
20240213_213215.jpg

The front wheels aren't painted yet, and the rear ones are temporary. Those alloy MT wheels are quite heavy and slow the car far too much. Probably will replace the front bumper too.

Painted it last night. I really liked the concept and colors, but I really should have practiced the 3d shading in the lightning bolt first. Damn it. I don't love it, but I don't hate it either I guess. I know what my mistake was though. Too bad the body is exceptionally rare and out of production.

20240216_072246.jpg

20240216_072234.jpg

Not sure what I'm going to use the car for as of yet. Probably some one-off grudge racing. I already have my two Vipers on the team list racing, and that's enough for me to handle.

Love the build, but I have to ask, are you interested in other areas of RC?
You live out in Fredrick? If so, check out key city hobbies. Indoor crawler track and drift track. Wanting to go up and check it out one day.
I'll go there if I win this scx24 😁

Love the build, but I have to ask, are you interested in other areas of RC?
You live out in Fredrick? If so, check out key city hobbies. Indoor crawler track and drift track. Wanting to go up and check it out one day.
I'll go there if I win this scx24 😁

I'm pretty much strictly nitro drag racing and nitro monster truck racing, and the monster truck thing is pretty far back these days, even considered selling them but I knew I'd never get what I put into them.

I'm pretty much strictly nitro drag racing and nitro monster truck racing, and the monster truck thing is pretty far back these days, even considered selling them but I knew I'd never get what I put into them.
One of my race buddies, he races monster trucks, but only electric

One of my race buddies, he races monster trucks, but only electric

That's all most monster truck racing is any more, electric. It's crazy, when I first got into nitro, the most popular thing around was nitro monster truck racing, mostly TMaxxes. When I first got into drag racing, which was later on, it was all electric too, or so I thought anyway. There was some die-hards down South that kept the nitro drag racing torch alive, and then a genuine revival began in 2021. Last two years have seen the nitro drag racing scene explode, so I'm just locked in on that and doing what I can to help keep the momentum going.

So generally, I'm lasering on nitro drag racing and keeping focused on that. I really didn't even want to build a 5th car, but this was too good to pass up :D

Got the new wheels and tires mounted and painted. Looks like potentially some warmer weather Sunday so maybe even take it for a test hit or two. The car only weighs 4.2 lbs. I need to add weight, by rule it needs to be 4.54 or higher, and also it has no chance of hooking up at 4.2, especially dry tire. Going to order an alloy front bumper, and some aluminum shocks for the rear and see if I can get it legal.

428370525_712919307497483_1592699929769010706_n.jpg

428062927_757385762987241_1544043000544428913_n.jpg

428211092_428573942857765_2372447161102459609_n.jpg

The elusive Vega body, I've heard of that. Very nice specimen.

Shame they never made much of these. I think the guy who made it will make them if you request him personally. It's very well done, IMO, other than I really didn't like the massive front spoiler.

I replaced the rear shocks with these interesting ones I found from Integy (to this day I will swear by their shocks quality). They have a built-in bump stop, you just fill the black side with oil to where you want it to stop. It's got a bleeder valve on the top so you can get it precise too.

20240222_195808.jpg

I got them set up after a little work. Removed the sway bar, it really didn't work right, and I don't think it's really useful.

20240222_231458.jpg

Now I'm waiting on some front shocks to try out. I don't hate these, but I'd rather have some that have some travel so that I can set them softer and allow for the front wheels to drop some when the thing is popping wheelies. I also have an aluminum front bumper coming tomorrow to add some much-needed weight.

Hoping to possibly do some testing Sunday. They were calling for upper 50's, but now it's upper 40's, so I dunno. ;)