Speed run chassis?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kinda wanna build a speed run car 4wd 1/10 or bigger best not so expensive chassis I want to fit the Castle 2028 800Kv motor and the Mamba XLX2 with 2 Traxxas 4s 6700Mah so it would be running 8s I’ve seen people use this setup (not battery’s but they used 8s) hit 180mph then I would use a 34t pinion
OK, i have to ask. Where did you see a 180MPH 1/10TH scale. The fastest 1/10TH scale i have ever seen barely hit 120. If you want 160MPH+, you need 1/7TH scale, like the Arrma Limitless and Traxxas XO-1. To get to those speeds is neither easy or cheap. Look up Kevin Talbot's speed run attempt using an Arrma Limitless. Its custom parts and expensive electronics put it over the $2,000 mark.

OK, i have to ask. Where did you see a 180MPH 1/10TH scale. The fastest 1/10TH scale i have ever seen barely hit 120. If you want 160MPH+, you need 1/7TH scale, like the Arrma Limitless and Traxxas XO-1. To get to those speeds is neither easy or cheap. Look up Kevin Talbot's speed run attempt using an Arrma Limitless. Its custom parts and expensive electronics put it over the $2,000 mark.
the current official record holder is Nick Cases car based on a schumacher Mi3 1/10 touring car at 202 mph.. search it , theres tons of articles about the climb to 202 .. Case set multiple records along the way with his schumacher based 1/10 cars..

the current official record holder is Nick Cases car based on a schumacher Mi3 1/10 touring car at 202 mph.. search it , theres tons of articles about the climb to 202 .. Case set multiple records along the way with his schumacher based 1/10 cars..
I dont really follow speed run stuff. I've seen Talbot's 1/7TH scale custom Arrma Limitless, and a few videos of the guys overseas, but that is about all i know about speed run stuff.

No I was saying something bigger then 1/10 just not sure what scale like 1/7 or 1/6

Either way you go it's going to add up.
Xlx2... $250 by itself. Without taxes or shipping.
800kv is going to be around $290 by the time you pay shipping and taxes.
A cheap radio gear won't cut it. Doesn't matter if it's a traxxas,futaba ect.... all brands have a low entry level which won't cut it
radiolink rc6gs v2
Futaba 7px
Noble NB4.
Anywhere from $80 to $600
Limitless roller. $400.
I'd first see if you're funds allow it.. it's addictive and stuff does break.

Kinda wanna build a speed run car 4wd 1/10 or bigger best not so expensive chassis I want to fit the Castle 2028 800Kv motor and the Mamba XLX2 with 2 Traxxas 4s 6700Mah so it would be running 8s I’ve seen people use this setup (not battery’s but they used 8s) hit 180mph then I would use a 34t pinion
Maybe start with an RTR? Arrma Vendetta 3S might be a consideration. Get your foot in the door of speed running so to speak. If you don't like it, you're not out a lot of money.

Speed running is an acquired skill. Takes a while to work up to it. Another benefit to beginning with a 'slower' car. Speed comes quickly with over-the-counter equipment available these days. Controlling that speed is a whole 'nother thing. Good luck. Cheers. 'AC'

There are many, many videos of guys well up into the hundreds with 1/10. Yes, it’s easier with the 1/7 stuff but you can easily build a Traxxas Slash/Rally that can put you into the 140‘s without breaking the bank. But running at those speeds ain’t easy. Like @ahr43 said, it’s an acquired skill and the road to your personal best will be littered with failures, crashes, and more than you ever wanted to learn about aerodynamics. That said, go do it! You’ll join the 100mph club and that’s awesome.

Personally, I've never got much over 100mph on a 1/10 scale. Got a 4x4 slash close to 100 and a homemade carbon fiber chassis car to 112. I've been playing with speed runs on a lightly modified Arrma Infraction (1/7 scale) and hit 146 once. That said, its not cheap or easy. You wont know what batteries or what pinion gears and such until you know what chassis your going to run.

Its definitely easier to control a bigger scale car at high speeds but still not easy. I had to use a local airport runway to hit 146 and it was barely long enough. Don't let the youtube video's fool you, going that fast isn't easy. Not saying you shouldn't or you can't, just be prepared so spend some serious $$

You know, Addict, I've been thinking more about what you want to do here.

You have a Slash, right? The one in the vids you posted and your avatar. Why not begin there? YouTube has a number of Slash conversions to speed runners. Lots of upgrades available at reasonable prices. Maybe check it out? Cheers. 'AC'

You know, Addict, I've been thinking more about what you want to do here.

You have a Slash, right? The one in the vids you posted and your avatar. Why not begin there? YouTube has a number of Slash conversions to speed runners. Lots of upgrades available at reasonable prices. Maybe check it out? Cheers. 'AC'
I’m building one right now. Started as a beat to death Slash 4x4. There’s not much of the original truck left at this point. But yup, parts are cheap and plentiful and I love the challenge of a 100mph+ 1/10 scale car.

The biggest problem I had with the slash is air getting under the body. Even using air splitters it was hard to keep it planted. I added so much weight to the front end that it would stay on the ground but caused top end loss. After trying different things for months I came to the conclusion that the chassis is the issue. Too much open area around the control arms that let air get in.

I had much better luck using a home made chassis that I cut from a sheet of carbon fiber that extended all the way out to the wheels.

Just thought I'd share my experience. Hope it helps and good luck.

Yeah, open wheel cars and trucks - e.g., buggies, ST's and MT's - beat the air to death trying to achieve speed. From what I've seen on YT, SCT's come a close second when it comes to grabbing air and kiting.

All comes down to doing the best you can with what you've got and knowing when the limit is reached and achieved. That in itself is a worthwhile accomplishment.

I keep a 'dream sheet' on a Limitless. What I'd build if there were no limits. Makes for a fun exercise and costs nothing.

Good luck, OP. And you too, Dan B. Good info, Mr.gw. Cheers. 'AC'

Yeah, open wheel cars and trucks - e.g., buggies, ST's and MT's - beat the air to death trying to achieve speed. From what I've seen on YT, SCT's come a close second when it comes to grabbing air and kiting.

All comes down to doing the best you can with what you've got and knowing when the limit is reached and achieved. That in itself is a worthwhile accomplishment.

I keep a 'dream sheet' on a Limitless. What I'd build if there were no limits. Makes for a fun exercise and costs nothing.

Good luck, OP. And you too, Dan B. Good info, Mr.gw. Cheers. 'AC'
Thank you sir! I do know this is going to be a challenge and a tricky build. Good luck to both of us! I’ll do a build thread soon for this project.

The biggest problem I had with the slash is air getting under the body. Even using air splitters it was hard to keep it planted. I added so much weight to the front end that it would stay on the ground but caused top end loss. After trying different things for months I came to the conclusion that the chassis is the issue. Too much open area around the control arms that let air get in.

I had much better luck using a home made chassis that I cut from a sheet of carbon fiber that extended all the way out to the wheels.

Just thought I'd share my experience. Hope it helps and good luck.
I bet if you made custom side skirts front lip and rear diffuser attached to the body and I know this would be a pain but make the body connected to the skirts and stuff and put some screws on to them if you want speed it probably be a good option but if you want accessibility not the best option
Can I get the Vxl3s 100mph on 3s plus pinion and spur upgrades on the 2wd?

if you have a slash , honestly you could defeat the areodynamics simply by bolting on bandit arms and turning it into a NPRC car with a nice aero drag shell .. My first attempts at it with a printed slash based car were in the 50 mph 's on 2s in a 1/10 quarter..geared up Its running almost 70 on 2s for top speed on some crappy scamazon ESC/motor combo.. Running the 85 camaro shell .. it seems to plant in and get more planted the faster you go with it. From what I hear the Corvette shell is the same way and very nice for speed runs..

if you have a slash , honestly you could defeat the areodynamics simply by bolting on bandit arms and turning it into a NPRC car with a nice aero drag shell .. My first attempts at it with a printed slash based car were in the 50 mph 's on 2s in a 1/10 quarter..geared up Its running almost 70 on 2s for top speed on some crappy scamazon ESC/motor combo.. Running the 85 camaro shell .. it seems to plant in and get more planted the faster you go with it. From what I hear the Corvette shell is the same way and very nice for speed runs..
I wanna convert it to a drag car but it’s my only real rc car yes I do have the latrax rally’s but there junk so if I end up getting one for my birthday any type of rc I’ll probably convert it to a drag car
What would be a good motor and esc something castle or no
Bead locks what do you run I want something a little cheap

Last edited:
I wanna convert it to a drag car but it’s my only real rc car yes I do have the latrax rally’s but there junk so if I end up getting one for my birthday any type of rc I’ll probably convert it to a drag car
What would be a good motor and esc something castle or no
Bead locks what do you run I want something a little cheap
Cheap and quality don't go hand and hand.
But thats my motto. Buy once. Not twice. Good luck 👍
I've Learned it's best to shell out the money for quality over cheaper or cheapest options.

There is multiple slashes have hit 180+ bud.
There is multiple slashes have hit 180+ bud.
He'll the record 2wd slash is 137mph with a slash truck body.
I see a lot of misinformation on here. Yes current world record is James Mccoy running a 1/7 limitless. 204mph. However, multiple Slash 4x4 chassis trucks have hit 200. Tons more have hit 180mph. So if you want a cheap easy truck and easy to find parts, the 1/10 slash is a pretty good go to vehicle for spee runs. It's not great at anything else, but for speed runs it's awesome.

homemade carbon fiber chassis car to 112.
@Mrgoodwrench35

Thank you for the information!

I have been thinking about building a homemade carbon fiber chassis for speed runs (1/7 or 1/5). Can you point me in a direction for information? Did you use the Slash 4 x 4 or the infraction parts on the carbon fiber chassis? Also, I have searched for threads or forums about homemade chassis information without any luck.

Thank you!