Charlie's First Crawler Build

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
sounds like your building one hell of a machine. can't wait to see. so now that you sold your savage, whats left in the stable...5b, t4,and crawler?

Here's the pics of what came in today. I got two 2000 mah LiPo 2S batteries, Axial 30 degree links, low COG battery servo tray, STRC polished lateral braces, and some prototype polished aluminum 3 link connectors that Joe sent me for my birthday. And a few battery cases, one of which Joe through in for free. Presents are ALWAYS good.

100_0509.jpg

100_0510.jpg

sounds like your building one hell of a machine. can't wait to see. so now that you sold your savage, whats left in the stable...5b, t4,and crawler?

I've got several RC's, many of which are my summer projects.

Traxxas T-Maxx 2.5 (first RC, wont part with it anytime soon)
2 Traxxas Rustlers (built one for my step dad and the other one was just to mess around with, got a package deal)
1 Traxxas Rustler (built it and gave it to my hadicapped uncle)
Associated RC10 T4 (brushless race truck, only for the track)
HPI Baja 5B SS
Traxxas E-Maxx (brushless project for the summer)
Traxxas Stampede (wanted something fun to bash with, needed something to put my new Mamba Max 6900 in)
Traxxas Revo (brushless conversion project for the summer)
Trinity Itsy Bitsy Spider (1/18)
Axial AX-10

As you can see, I have a lot of RC's, most of which each have their own purpose. As if you couldn't tell, I enjoy building more than anything else in RC.

Last edited:
that crawler is going to be sweet...and nice collection of rides lol...

Your wish is my command. This has been a more relaxing build compared to the Savage X SS and Baja 5b SS. With those, I basically dove into them and didn't look up until I had the truck done. With this build, I've been taking my time and using it to relax in my spare time. I recently got a promotion at work so I've ben REALLY busy and stressed out, and this has been a great way to unwind in the evenings. Here's what I have so far, and I'm going to get a lot more done today hopefully.
100_0484.jpg

100_0486.jpg

100_0485.jpg

100_0511.jpg

100_0514.jpg

lookin good, i have the same little stanley screwdrivers

Yeap I needed some small ones and they came in a huge set of screwdrivers at Wal-Mart. The bigger screwdriver as junk when it comes to RC because their poor quality is bad about stripping out screws, but the small ones have been pretty good. I'm getting ready to order a set of axial wrenches, that's one of the things I don't have yet that I really need. The dubro wrenches are ok, but they still have more flex in them than I would like, which can cause them to deform and strip the screw when you put them into a bind.

I'm making some progress, here's the pics of what I've gotten done so far.

100_0519.jpg

100_0522.jpg

100_0523.jpg

100_0526.jpg

100_0528.jpg

100_0530.jpg

is it finished? how long has it taken you to build it?

No It's not finished yet. It's been a longer build that I thought it would, mostly because I had to thread so many rod ends. I've probably got 4 hours in it so far.

Still working on it, just got done mounting the motor and ESC. It's a lot harder to route the electronics on a crawler than it is on a regulr car or truck with a flat chassis.

Still working on it, just got done mounting the motor and ESC. It's a lot harder to route the electronics on a crawler than it is on a regulr car or truck with a flat chassis.

that would drive me nuts. I'm a freak when it comes to wiring. I like my stuff as short and neat as possible. Like how do you get the servo lead to the Rx and keep it looking tidy... I'd stare at it for an hour before I even do anything.

Well if it wasn't for all those dam baedlock screws, I'd be taking videos of the axial climbing a black lab, but I'm still about 75 screws short

Well Lessen, I just got done staring at my wires for an hour. You can make a mounting plate to go on the Upper links that is shaped like a triangle, and it's just big enough for a receiver and ESC. It also pulls the COG down lower, which is what I'm going for. I'm ordering some now that are corbon fiber. I just hope the carbon fiber doesn't interfere with the FASST receiver. I'm going to re wire everything when they get here, right now I just have the receiver and ESC stuck upside down under the battery plate on top, which is how the kit was diesigned to be set up.

I think doing the beadlock screws is the worst part of the whole kit. Just be thankful there are only 6 per side! lol

I know, on the baja I've got there are 20 per wheel. 6 per side isn't bad at all. I just can't wait for my special aluminum wheels that my good buddy in new york is going to machine for me :)

looking great charles.can't wait to see the finished crawler climbing a lab

Back