Charlie's First Crawler Build

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CharliesTheMan

Gone - bye bye.
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
As many of you guys know, I've been wanting to build a crawler for a while now. I finially decided on the axial kit, so I saved my money and ordered it last week. It finally arrived today. I know that many of you have been sending me PM's asking how much it cost to build a crawler, how much I liked driving something so slow, what parts are needed, stuff like that. I'm just getting into crawling, so I can only tell you what I know so far. I will document this build and take pictures as best I can, and I've decided to list the prices of most of the stuff for the build. I usually don't like to list prices in the open forum, and I really hope that people understand I'm doing this to educate those who are interested in getting into crawling, and it has NOTHING to do with bragging or anything like that. Most of the prices for parts that I order will include shipping. I will soon have a load of rocks coming so that Smaxxin and I can have a crawler course next to the track. Nothing huge, but just big enough to have fun on for a good while before we change it around.

Most of the parts for this build will be coming from East End Machining. Joe (the guy who owns and runs EEM) is one of the nicest guys that I've dealt with, and he is knowledgable when it comes to crawling. He has gone above and beyond the call of duty as far as customer service. If he doesn't have a part in stock, he will go out of his way to get it. If he can't get it, he will go out of his way to machine it. Joe has worked so hard to try and do what he can for me, so much so that I check his shop for every part before I order somewhere else. Just one of the many examples: I wanted a certain transmission mount for the axial because it's a big part of the chassis so looks matter. The part had been discontinued and he coudln't get it. Instead of telling me that I would have to buy the newer part that I didn't really like, he offered to machine what I wanted himself. Even better, he's only going to charge me about the same price that the other aftermarket, mass produced product would have costed. If you need any information on Joe or his shop, feel free to PM me. Here's his website: http://eastendmachining.com/ He carries parts for many of the RC's that are on the market, not just crawlers.

Here's what I have so far (remember all prices include shipping)
Axial AX-10 Scorpion Kit $220
Pro-Line Racing Hammer Tires with memory foam $40
Axial Heavy Duty Gear Sets $57 for a pair
Axial Heavy Duty Diff Lockers $15 a pair
Axial super soft springs $6
HiTec 645MG servo $30
Axial Springs, 12 assorted pairs $12 (used)
Novak Goat 18.5 brushless system $140 (used, like new condition)

These parts are on the way (from EEM)
Axial 30 degree bent links $15
STRC polished Lateral Braces $15
Axial Low Center of Gravity battery and servo plate $25

On the way from MaxAmps.com
(2) 2000 mah LiPo 2S battery packs

Here's a few pics I snapped tonight, now I'm about to dig in. I love building RC's way more than running the RC's.

100_0483.jpg

100_0482.jpg

Where did you get the kit at 220 shipped? I might be wrong, but I thought I just saw it for 269 in HobbyTown yesterday. I HOPE I'm wrong.

EDIT............sure is.. http://h1069774.hobbyshopnow.com/products/description.asp?prod=AXI90001
Only 10 bucks less at Tower.

CharliesTheMan said:
I love building RC's way more than running the RC's.
Sounds like a deal...You build it, then send it to me and I'll run it, to save you the boring part.

Last edited:
I've shopped their, I just wish they would make their site a lil easier to deal with. I just don't like browsing because of the way the page interface is set up.

Yeah, definitly not a site friendly for browsing. It's a get it and get out kinda place... otherwise known as "easy on the wallet shopping" :)

My goodness Charlie, How many vehicles do you have now? I've been wanting one of those Axial kits real bad too. I've been considering selling a car to help fund one but I don't know. Might regret it, might not.

I'm getting ready to sell some rigs and then out the herd a lil bit before the summer projects get into full swing. Lessen, if you ever get a chance to spend some time behind the wheel of a crawler that has been set up right, that's all it will ever take.

Sounds like a deal...You build it, then send it to me and I'll run it, to save you the boring part.
One of those would look good sitting next to the Savage. :)

That is sweet. Would like to build one too. Looking foward to the pics.

i was thinking about getting into crawling also let me know how it goes.

Cool, nice choice. The AX10 is a nice little truck. Good luck on the build.

Thanks NC. I paid Joe for the body so he will be ordering it in the next week or two I think. I'm really excited about this body, especially after seeing how perfect the other one ended up. Also, This is the first body scaled down from a real vehicle that I have.

Nice ride can't wait to see the complete build, and maybe some video action....

I'm going to be getting a video camera soon, and the good thing about cralwing is I can set the camera up on my tripod and catch the action, as opposed to running my RC's across a fied or around the track, where I would have to have someone to film and follow the truck around the track with the camera.

Thanks, I had to come on here and rant a lil bit. All those threaded rod ends for the double 3 link setup were a pain in the arse, but the driveshafts were SOOO frustrating. I spent about the same time on them as I have the rest of the build, and I was doing was installing universal joints on the ends of two driveshafts. They need a better way to install them than I was doing. I was having to bend the plastic on the driveshaft around the pin that connects it in the joint, so I see why it's such a big problem with them popping off. The carbon fiber ones are cool, I'll order them real soon IF the come with u joints attached or a better way to install them.

yeah that looks really great man. can't wait to see it crawling on some rocks!

You and me both. We don't have much rocks here in Louisiana, so I can't walk outthe back door and start rock crawling like the guys in Colorado. I'm going to bring in a load of rocks, and hopefully I'll have a video camera soon.

I have had my eye on one of those also.It sounds like you got all the goodies too.I bet you could build two almost as quick as one if you built them at the same time(hint hint).

I'm going to be starting on another one this summer, but instead of using the ax-10 chassis, I'm going to use the X-Trail scaler kit for the axial and build a really nice scaler, mostly a work in progress shelf queen, kinda like Rolex's body he's working on now. Lots of details but nothing I would want to get real dirt on.

Back