Charlie's First Crawler Build

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Charlie,looks like you are off to a good start. Can't wait to see it running. I'm sure Joe will hook you up with a hot lid.
Thanks for spreading the word about the shop and the store.
As for the rest of you guys, if anyone wants to pick up an AX-10 email me ([email protected]), I will give RCNT members the $219 price until the end of next month.
Thanks Fellas-
Joe@ http://www.eastendmachining.com

kinda like Rolex's body he's working on now. Lots of details but nothing I would want to get real dirt on.

I'm taking a break here. I've been working on the Ugly Truckling all day. Lots of progress to report soon.
Is the X Trail scaler kit an add on to the Axial, or can you use it as the main frame and add your own tires and motor?

You replace the two chassis plates (TVP) with the x-trail chassis. You still use the same axles and links, along with everything connected to the axles. You can use the stock shock I think, but I'm going with more of a scale look similar to the high lift shocks. Something that is internally sprung. For the most part, you replace the TVP's with the scaler frame, and everything else remains as it is.

Them stock tires smell like ass right?? lol.. My little rc work area STILL has that rubbery baby vomit smell from those damn things and I built mine last winter..lol

Yeap I was going to mention that to everyone, it seems to be a problem with a lot of people. These tires smell horrible. When I opened the box and realized that my entire hobby room smelled so bad, I put them in zip-lok bags. Fortunately that helped a lot. I will be using proline hammers so they wont come out of the bags anytime soon.

I can't believe this. I was at HobbyTown earlier today and got a set of wheels and tires for the Ugly Truckling that are for the Axial, so when I get it, I'll have an extra set. Well, I opened up a few things I brought home, and about 3 minutes before reading this thread, I looked at the bottom of both shoes to see what I had stepped in. Came up clean, it's the tires.
Yes, they smell like ass, but a cat's ass.

What kind of wheels and tires did you get? I really like the pro-line 8 shooter chrome wheels with black beadlocks, so I was wondering if you got those.

I got the HPI 3061 'Classic King Wheels' in black. These are for a static display right now, so naturally the rims will also be rusted. It was also the closest I could find to a truck rim.
I didn't want to be rusting up a set of bead locks.

The tires are Yokohama Geolandars...(on the bright side, either the smell is going away, or I'm getting used to it. They are made by HPI also.)
I can't tell you how many times I took DEEP whiffs of the 44 series IMEX tires. That was a really sweet smell of good rubber.

Last edited:
I like those wheels a lot. I think these could look pretty scale with the right setup as well.

I really can't have anything fancy with that body, so I went for the scale truck rim look. These were perfect, especially since they weren't chromed.

Maybe you wouldn't know yet since you're still in the build, but wouldn't these crawl over ANYTHING without the foams inside? They would conform to the shape of anything they were on, with a maximum footprint.

Well Rolex if the tires do indeed small like ass, they'll be a perfect fit for you ugly truckling. :)

I really can't have anything fancy with that body, so I went for the scale truck rim look. These were perfect, especially since they weren't chromed.

Maybe you wouldn't know yet since you're still in the build, but wouldn't these crawl over ANYTHING without the foams inside? They would conform to the shape of anything they were on, with a maximum footprint.

Ideally you want to have just enough foam to shape the tire, but give the maximum footprint. Different people agree on different ways of cutting foam, but the most common way is to cut a star type design in the foam. That way, there are some points around the foam that will shape the tire, but when pressure is put against a tire it will conform, just like have low air pressure but not a flat tire, if that makes any since. Once you see some real crawler tires in a supersoft compound you will see that there has to be a lil foam in there or it would be like wrapping a flat balloon around a wheel, because the rubber is so soft.

Gotcha. The foam just felt a little too firm for a good gripping crawler tire. When the day comes, I'll probably cut my own foams out of some very soft foam I have, just to let the tires spread out a little more.

Gotcha. The foam just felt a little too firm for a good gripping crawler tire. When the day comes, I'll probably cut my own foams out of some very soft foam I have, just to let the tires spread out a little more.

You might want to look at the memory foams. I plan on picking up a set from Joe once we get my rims finished.

Rolex, that ugly truckling is begging for an axial kit with the tcs crawlers scale chassis. =devil

I've got the memory foams for my proline hammers, I'll let you know how they do when I get them crawling. Oh yea, Rolex, if you don't have some air holes in the wheel, drill some holes so that the air can escape, if not they will hol air pressure and that will cause them to be too bouncy and not form to the landscape. It's probably something you will want to do before you glue them.

I've got the memory foams for my proline hammers, I'll let you know how they do when I get them crawling. Oh yea, Rolex, if you don't have some air holes in the wheel, drill some holes so that the air can escape,

That's what I have, some memory foam. Very soft. What came in the tires is some of the firmest foam I've seen. Seems more suited to a street tire.
There's a hole in each rim. I won't be gluing the tires till I need them for crawling.

NCNitro said:
Rolex, that ugly truckling is begging for an axial kit with the tcs crawlers scale chassis

I think that's what it will be unless you give me your tuber.

Yea I think the geolander that you got is more of a scale all terrain trail type tire than a comp crawler tire.

hey charlie....got any pics of the axial yet? just curious on how she's lookin...

I'll have some pictures soon. I just wanted to give you guys an update. I sold the Savage this past weekend. It was a nice guy and a member on here who bought it, so I spent Friday evening, and all day Saturday cleaning it and maintaining it, as well as tearing it down to inspect it, clean it and grease it for him. I spent most of the dau Sunday doing that as well as buying a new Revo for my NTB conversion project. I sent the Savage off today, so now I can get back started on the Axial.

Update: I just received 2 packages with several goodies. First off, I received a shipment of parts from Joe at EastEndMachining.com. The things that he does for his customers are unbeliveable. Not only did he include a free battery box for me since I ordered so much stuff, he knew my birthday was coming up and he sent me some special prototype parts, even had them gift wrapped in really cool transformers wrapping paper. I'll put up pictures of all my stuff when I get home.

2nd, I received my LiPo battery packs from maxamps.com. They're great, really small. I think they'll fit just right on my low center of gravity battery tray. I'll have some pictures of the progress soon.

Back