Carpet Munching

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gotta love racing.
First heat with my legends I got second to a faster driver. Next heat with Midget I was leading almost front be beginning and was five laps up when I got hit. I lost a front wheel and kept going only to get second place. Then in the modified heat I was leading a tight race when I got cut off just before the finish and got second.

But that was just the first qualifying heat and I am all fixed and ready to go with confidence in the cars.

That was wild. 45 cars total so the racing went from 8:00 am till 5:00 pm.

The legends car is just not quite up to speed. I’m thinking it’s just not broken in. I won the B main and went to the A main with seven cars. 75 laps of kaos! Managed forth place.

The modified was wild. I was leading the race in both qualifying heats and got crashed at The last second . So I was in fourth going into the A-main. I drove as hard as I could but the diff adjustment was off because of the increase power it was spinning a bit and I over adjusted it and during the main the rear end was jumping all over the place. Managed another forth place.

In the Midget class I was again doing great, five laps up and lost the wheel.
So I had a new hub already in my box so I quick swapped it and finished last in the first heat.
Then in the second heat I took off good and was just driving along when I lost the steering in the right front wheel. I jumped from the driver stand and tried to fix it only to find out it was the wrong size ball joint.
So I fixed that and finished last again.
The A-Main is 75 laps so going easy at the begging can workout. But the other drivers are pretty good and I can’t catch ‘em. So on the bell I went to the front and there was a pile up and I go out . I was in second or third for 25 laps when there was some crash and a marshal on the track and I just tried to stop. And everyone else drove into it. And when it cleared I punched it into first place and had to steel my nerve. Like fifty laps of being hounded bumper to bumper. I can’t believe we did not take each other out. In the end I finally got to blink and exhale and got first place. Woo!
Next race is Friday night under the lights.

Another Friday night of oval racing. Tonight I show up a little early and set up. I start driving my modified car around track. I’m holding 5.5 down to 4.8 and a couple 4.6 . I was trying to get a 4.5 and the fast guy at the track said I need more than that because he was doing 4.0. So I started going around and could not get to 4.5. He said let me see your car. He looked at it and said I need to change the suspension setting. I did and went 4.3 and he said I need to remove the tape from the front tire so it stops pushing. I do that and run 4.02 and that was with a dead battery after 85 laps.

That’s some great sportsmanship there.

I also changed from the big square blue body to this hot rod body. It’s Easter to see

F6C2735F-17EF-40AD-8BE6-6CA1393658FF.jpeg

0B2FC099-B67F-4787-BD82-479B809241E3.jpeg

Last edited:
This carpet oval racing is really close. I did not realize how close 2.6 seconds between me and first place. And the average is .03 between us. That’s what you get for helping someone out. I was a full 1/2 second per lap slower before he helped me out.

9541D7E6-D1A8-4810-ADB5-0797404DA6F5.jpeg

0147335A-177D-41AD-A04C-00C2F29A0CD8.jpeg

A596588E-0E08-4614-A71A-66063640F90A.jpeg

Last edited:
Wow that was a bit intense. I feel like I went from the Bush league and stepped in with the pros.

I spent all day Saturday working on my modified car after a great Friday night I made it much better . The tuning I did was spot on so I was pretty happy.

With my legends car I was feeling like I just needed to stay clean and not crash. Well there were eighteen other legend cars and after the second qualifier I was so far down the sheet it stopped at ten but I did make the B main. So I just had to turn my hat around bite down on my tongue and go for it. Believe it or not I won the B- Main and that bumped me into the A-main and I finished fifth. Very happy.
The Break out race was a little better. On my first ever I ran a 5.001 second lap and finished in third. That was with a 55% throttle setting . The next race got a little cyanotic. First I stared and went to fast and thought I was last because I was going to slow so I sped up and broke out again. Then finished last. But that was ok. I made the A main. I turned the throttle down to 46% and in the main I was doing good like second place till I got pushed now into the wall. Then I was forth.

Watching cars go 2.9 seconds when I struggle to get a 4.0 is definitely a blast.
Practice makes perfect. At my old LHS carpet track when I drove someones 2wd buggy I was running 17 seconds. Still in the process of building my B74.1D. Just got to get done shocks, dial in camber/tow and sway bars and it should be a roller by then.
PXL_20221219_004259334.jpg

I was looking at the break out race results. I started in second place and dropped to forth. My column is the second from the right. This game is about consistency. The winner was between 5.1~ 5.6 and never broke out. My times range from 5.1~5.9 mostly slower and when you see 11.5 that means I went too fast and the “break out” lap was not counted. I was going to slow and as I dropped back I tried to speed up and broke out. I need to increase my throttle 1% and always drive in the center of the track. Gonna practice today

A4804FC1-62F6-4E93-9620-D6FD11ACF499.jpeg

Friday night oval racing. I finished 3 rd in the first heat because my tires are gone. But I will just deal with it.

Tight quarters tonight in the pit.

238286FE-F3C7-41B6-BDC3-92533E315F6A.jpeg

Holly cow what a night. Everyone was breaking stuff. Apparently the track was warm and that makes it fast. I flat out won the first two modified heats and was the pole sitter in the main with the fast lap of the night at 4.03 seconds. 15 laps into the main I was just cranking laps when I got tagged and hit the wall so hard it snapped the frame.
In the legends race I was doing really well with a wild race. I get second place after a battle that left me with a chunk missing from my rim. In the USAC Midget race I had tire issues but was holding on the third place when I spun at the last lap and dropped to forth by .002 seconds.

New frame piece new tires a couple other bits and I’ll be running again Sunday.

0F5124A6-2F37-4150-BF49-E8A4E3C1DEB6.jpeg

AE33FA9C-CBA2-4CFF-A697-82C231FD7D00.jpeg

Everything is fixed up and I got two new sets of tires. I ready to go. I also rebuilt all three differentials.

The new tires feel great and I’m read to run. Today is a money race. $20.00 per car to race and winner splits the pot with another racer that gets determined by a dice roll. Six competitors per class. Two 30 lap heats and a 100 lap main. Should be fun.

F2197342-F11D-4BDE-A763-E1E5722265A6.jpeg

Wild bunch of racing. Legends I finished third on the podium but missed the cash.
Next is modified 100 lap race. I got second in the qualifying heats. Gotta go easy for 100 laps.

Last edited:
In the modified race I was so far ahead when I crashed and tore off my front wheel the marshal repaired my car re attached my front tire and I finished third five laps down.
The midget needed a whole diff rebuild before the main. But it was smooth after that. First lap crash let the fast guy go and he never looked back. I battled it out for second place and was just out side of second place by a fraction. Good racing. But I did not win any money. I have to repair my left front axle. That’s the first time I have ever broken a left side. I have a special repair so the clip does not come off. But I never needed to do that before on the inside hub.

You all are taking a month to build your kits while I'm over here completing a Traxxas stampede 4x4 in 4 and a half hours.

You all are taking a month to build your kits while I'm over here completing a Traxxas stampede 4x4 in 4 and a half hours.
These are much better preforming kits and these take a beating. The stampede 4x4 is a basher and easy to assemble and not ment for racing. My B74.1D build took me the whole December with working on and off.

These are much better preforming kits and these take a beating. The stampede 4x4 is a basher and easy to assemble and not ment for racing. My B74.1D build took me the whole December with working on and off.
I'm going to start an axial scx24 bronco build soon. It's going to have all treal upgrades.

Back