Carpet Munching

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Iowa crawler

Hardcore RCTalk User
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Racing
  2. Crawling
  3. Scale Builder
  4. Flying
As the off road racing season is coming toward the end I need to start thinking about winter. After talking to a couple of the regulars the track south of me in Muscatine Iowa seems to be the place. It is a very nice facility run but great people.
So they have a number of classes. I’m going to run my Associated B6.3D and my EB410. I will set them up for carpet racing and get new tires. They use foam tires so that part is very inexpensive. And since I have the vehicles already it should work out well.
17.5 2WD buggy and 13.5 4WD Buggy should be enough for a fun winter series. October to April. Then it’s back to the out door track .

Tearing up the carpet is something I’m looking forward to this winter. And building two rigs so I can really get in to pounding some laps will be fun.

Same here too. So bummed 😝

Looks like good times nevertheless!

They just posted the season schedule for this winter race series. 11 points races with 4 being dropped.
I planned to run 17.5 buggy but modified 2WD buggy seems like fun. I wounder what motor they are running.
I’m also running modified 4wd buggy.
I don’t have that much to do to prepare for carpet. I need to buy some tires and. Wheels. Maybe a ball diff not sure yet. But I’m getting excited to experience the high traction racing. I love the slide. But winter is coming and I can’t take five months off.

D900E688-C5F2-4AA4-BB4F-26DA82850A4E.jpeg

A really nice hobby shop near my work area is closing there doors. Makes me sad because they are a family shop. They have a lot of inventory to liquidate and everything is on sale.
I have been watching a number of videos about carpet 4wd buggies. The Techno eb410.3 is an awesome dirt buggy. Because it is built like a tank and front heavy. But on carpet the extra weight and high center of gravity is not an advantage. So I picked up a TLR 22x4 elite. It’s a three differential rig. No slipper in the center diff and not a belt drive either. It is covered in carbon fiber and titanium right out of the box. I don’t start carpet racing till October and need to find out what tires and motor to run . This should be a fun build.

00C8C6F8-7A12-4A2E-9EF2-173355EA158A.jpeg

The racing bug bit you hard didn't it? :thumbs-up:
When I was four I raced hot wheels. By six I moved to slot cars with the guys across the street. At fourteen I raced BMX. When I turned sixteen I started drag racing and street racing. In my twenty’s I did a bit of RC pylon racing and helped with some off shore racing boats building engines and tuning. In my thirties I raced bicycles and then in my forties I started racing motorcycles. Now that I’m in my fifties I race land speed motorcycles. But I really am having fun racing rc cars. And Iowa winters are very long. So I am kinda looking for fun from October to April. But ya I got bit by the racing bug.

Well I have to bring in some help with this project.

I don’t want to know who you use as long as there not complete muppet’s.

2F1C47B7-367A-40C6-B15B-43AA6A6D4397.jpeg

Losi uses a scale to measure diff oil.
7000 for the front diff.

Pretty cool.

Attachments

• D7E15E43-A294-4180-A3AB-D9BB996510F0.jpeg
    D7E15E43-A294-4180-A3AB-D9BB996510F0.jpeg
    274.4 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:
This kit is a little pricy but when you consider it comes fully upgraded the price not bad. Out of the box it has titanium turn buckles, and aluminum shock caps.
The build quality is really good so far. And the boys are hard at work on the shocks.
I do need to get different springs for carpet but that’s pretty normal.

188F6D8B-B468-4285-969B-8DE115856728.jpeg

I got the main assembly’s together and am starting to get the carpet set up sheet completed. I needed to order stiffer springs than the ones that come with the kit.
The boys seem to like carbon fiber. And I am not sure why they are carrying the chassis away.

3C229876-5398-4BCA-A9FF-7BC008D803E6.jpeg

616FFCED-53B0-4243-A19C-04F70D34CBF6.jpeg

OK , THIS CARBON FIBER THING HAS GOT TO … well it should do something. Maybe lighten up the chassis or stiffen up the chassis or something I forget. But the boys just found this, or they are going surfing.

8DBD2B76-7901-4535-B2B0-9F0129C1B696.jpeg

I am sorry I forgot about the boys working on the carpet buggy. Been a bit crazy around here.

I got the buggy finished and I am really impressed with it so far. But I have to get electronics. The carpet racing is not till October so I’m saving up for that.

The other class I want to race is 17.5 2WD buggy’s. And my Associated 6.3 is a great carpet car. It will require some tuning changes going from dirt to carpet but that is easy enough.

The hobby shop that is going out of business where I bought the 22x4 had a 22DC5.0 Elite kit with a huge discount. I could not pass it up.
So I am going to run the Losi 22 DC in dirt for the rest of this season and next year. Then the 22 x4 along with the Associated 6.3 on carpet this winter. I basically got both buggies for the price of one. And am ready to race except for the electronics.

9716819E-79D3-44E3-99BC-5D12FB705C3D.jpeg

04EF3FD6-27A7-4F3C-88FD-AE9C7CF8E35A.jpeg

It looks like the carpet race has been postponed. I have a dirt race Sunday so that’s ok. Plus I ain’t ready.
I just found out I should not use a ball differential on carpet. So I will get a gear differential later and get my stuff together.

I’m still going to drive down to the track on Saturday since I planned to go anyhow. One thing I learned about any racing. You have to get to the starting line. And there is a lot to do before you can start racing. Find out where to park. Find the bathroom and the pit. Look the place over and find electric outlets. Simple things like that will save a ton of stress come race day.

I honestly missed the boys myself and glad they are back to work.

Back