Carpet Munching

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’ll get them to work tonight rebuilding my B6.3D into a b6.3 team kit. Some people told me Sunday that the ball diff will burn up on carpet. And I need a gear diff. And sure enough that’s the biggest difference between two kits. And I mean biggest difference because everything else is different also at least with the chassis.

That leads me to my Losi 22x-4. It comes with a diff in the center but I can get an optional center slipper. Should I go for the center slipper over the center gear diff on carpet?

I rebuilt the transmission and changed the case to the lay down style and added the gear diff with 5k oil.
The rear shocks are 35 now and the front are 45 weight oil. Need to figure out the springs next.

Moving on to cleaning the front end and changing it to a carpet set up I noticed my right tie rod was bent. I told them you can’t straighten a bent titanium rod when it bends at the threads. But do they listen? NOOOO.

image.jpg

Went down to the carpet track today to meet everyone and ask a bunch of questions. They answered all my questions and even had the tires and wheel and everything I need in there super well stocked hobby shop that is attached the the race track. The track is crazy with a big high drivers box and carpet track that has turns up the wall. I am very excited to go race there.

Talking to people at the track today about carpet racing and set up. I just found out about cutting and shapping tires. For instance he said I should measure my ride higher with 70mm front tires, and my gearing will depend on rear tire height. The foam tires have to be cut tuned and tapered. He has a machine and graciously offered to do it for me. But it’s an hour away and all that. Soo.
I looked at the machine to cut the tires. It’s expensive. But needs to be a precision cutter.

Then I started thinking about it on the drive home.
Same price. Why would a real lathe not cut foam?

29E99FB7-40B2-402B-B4EE-19D01587CBBD.jpeg

CB5E7C2B-01BD-412F-9453-AF8AFAF6BB79.jpeg

Compare the max RPM for both. Foam will need to be cut at a high RPM I am guessing. Unless you use a tool post mounted grinder, which wouldn't be hard to come up with something on there. Heck, even a decent drill press with a tool mounted in a vise could work as long as the quill was pretty decent and free of slop.

My drill press is slow but holding a blade or cutting tool and moving it across the tire smoothly is the problem . Making two 75mm tires from two 85 mm tires is not that simple.
Both machines have an automatic feed for the cutter and that’s the tricky part to make with a drill press.
But for less than $500.00 the lathe can be used for making parts and much more than just truing tires. 2000 rpm should be enough speed.
I want a lathe. But I have no real use for one. I used to have a lathe and I still have a lot of the tools. But it’s a slippery slope. 500 for a tire machine is to much to spend. 500 for a lathe is a great deal as long as you only Use it for tires. But for 1000 bucks I can get a better lathe that can cut threads and has metal gears. But 1000 dollars for just to true tires is way to much money to spend.

Last edited:
My drill press is slow but holding a blade or cutting tool and moving it across the tire smoothly is the problem . Making two 75mm tires from two 85 mm tires is not that simple.
Both machines have an automatic feed for the cutter and that’s the tricky part to make with a drill press.
But for less than $500.00 the lathe can be used for making parts and much more than just truing tires. 2000 rpm should be enough speed.
I want a lathe. But I have no real use for one. I used to have a lathe and I still have a lot of the tools. But it’s a slippery slope. 500 for a tire machine is to much to spend. 500 for a lathe is a great deal as long as you only Use it for tires. But for 1000 bucks I can get a better lathe that can cut threads and has metal gears. But 1000 dollars for just to true tires is way to much money to spend.
Well, I was referring to using the drill press with a toolpost grinder. It's a lot different than using a cutting tool. Basically, the grinder is stationary, but has an adjustment in it, like an axis, that you would use to control depth of cut and final diameter of the tire. With that, having a steady movement across the grinder wouldn't matter all that much. As long as the feeding of the quill was slow enough for the grinder to do its work, the finish would be smoother than using a cutting tool.

So for an example. You could mount a vise to this...
https://m.de.aliexpress.com/item/3256803642553757.html?pdp_npi=2@dis!USD!US $34.06!US $27.59!!!!!@2103239d16623839735167719e4260!12000027290742317!btf&_t=pvid:e50ef46a-54eb-4824-a6e4-37cc15fe3842&afTraceInfo=1005003828868509__msite__c_ppc_item_bridge__xxxxxx__1662383973&spm=a2g0n.ppclist.product.0&gatewayAdapt=gloPc2deuMsite

Then clamp a dremel in the vise. Make a mount to chuck up in the drill to hold the wheel. Then use the quill to feed the tire across the gringing wheel of the dremel. Doing this doesn't require a high rpm for the drill press.

You would just have to make sure the drill chuck was running true, and the quill was locked enough to take up any slop, but allow movement. Or, whatever you made to mount the wheel to, you could finish it in the chuck so it was running true, even if the drill chuck had a wobble to it.

Kinda hard to explain. But for $50, if I had a drill press, I could true up tires to within .001" runnout, and hold dimensions all day long on it.

Last edited:
I love this. I really don’t want to buy anything but this is exactly what I need.
I’m going to make something tonight.
So this is the wheel mounted to an ar44 axle and clamped in the drill press. I can level the table and then use sandpaper on a heavy metal block. I only need to remove 10mm from the new wheel then just enough to true them later. So 5mm off will do it.

88523C86-FB5F-445D-8E33-D8ADA09C9EAF.jpeg

I love this. I really don’t want to buy anything but this is exactly what I need.
I’m going to make something tonight.
So this is the wheel mounted to an ar44 axle and clamped in the drill press. I can level the table and then use sandpaper on a heavy metal block. I only need to remove 10mm from the new wheel then just enough to true them later. So 5mm off will do it.

View attachment 151977
Thats good stuff right there! Wish I had some big shop tools :)

Well that took all of five minutes.
Made a tiny mess I can vacuum up in a jiffy and I will make a thing to catch the mess next time.
I was able to shape the edge and remove material easily and could go down one millimeter at a time.

They are even enough to start out. And I also got the covers for the shock towers. They are required to protect the carpet.

D250E6F5-8FBF-498E-9BC2-816C099A6167.jpeg

BF390D0D-86E4-44A4-8917-CE91AFA6B5B8.jpeg

8C678820-E618-4D42-9777-46BA38115B9E.jpeg

867DD616-14B9-4319-AB94-94F4D22D8304.jpeg

A4ECA30E-A34C-4C73-86A9-F477A7F7C2AE.jpeg

This is definitely different. 12-14mm of ground clearance. I don’t have anything but the front suspension assembled.
My rear bearings are shot. So I have to rebuild the whole rear end.

2B0C0B8E-4E9E-4D1D-9EEC-9DBE53058E59.jpeg

I am going through and cleaning up the chassis after five months of dirt racing, it’s pretty tore up. The bearings are shot the right rear is actually so bad the tire has trouble turning. So I pulled the suspension apart and ordered some bearings. And a servo maybe a fan set of springs and a fan mount.

Last time I drove this car I was testing with my new Losi 22 to see if the Losi was good enough to compete. The Losi did fantastic and now I’m working on my B6. The poor B6 was not at its best . The right rear wheel bearings are about Locke up. And now I’m finding the front shocks are full of mud. I guess clay dust gets picked up and pushed into the shocks. The seal is damaged and they had to be completely cleaned to get the brown oil out of the small parts. I might have to use ultra sound to clean them properly. But first I need new seals.

31D0E291-3EBC-4E38-B76A-07C379E2AEEB.jpeg

It is looking like the change from dirt to carpet is a bit more than I expected. I started just cleaning and looking at the set up sheets. After talking to the track owner all day Saturday at the off road race. I have decided to run a 21.5 car and began cleaning and setting things up. Everything is either dirty broken or needs changing for the carpet set up. I don’t even have any electronics. The race is four weeks away.

Better bring some help.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Parts are starting to roll in so I can get moving with this project. As usual the stuff I need the least arrives first. I still have plenty of time to completely build the car and test it before the first race. I might have to take a day off work for the testing. That’s one nice thing about indoor racing. The hobby shop is open seven days a week.

Found a total awesome chassis protector. It’s a must have for carpet and this looks great. Waiting for all the parts now. Hopefully the boys can get the rest of the chassis broken down in time.

3B4BDF60-0508-41EA-AE83-505C15652D08.jpeg

0E4D1E1F-14CD-4252-9F8F-BD475E1272F0.jpeg

B9B873F7-5B4C-4FD9-9EDD-8726055541F0.jpeg

Back