Carpet Munching

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That was fun but I was just off my game so bad and the competition was really killing me. I was a full second off the pace and about two or three laps down in every race. Besides the loose screws and ruining my set up, them trying to fix it just before the race. I have an ear infection so instead of being a little deaf I’m really deaf and my ears are ringing off the hook so I have a headache from ten hours of work. I just could not find my rhythm. It was my first real carpet race but I could have done better.

Back at it on the oval track. Feeling pretty good. My hearing is back and I did some tuning and testing on my car. If I can stay out of trouble I might have a chance.

image.jpg

First round went well. I only crashed twice and finished I first place. Now on the the second qualifying round. I’m about 1/2 second off the pace of the fast guys. I am running 4.3 second laps and need to get down to 4.0.
Well that was a surprise I won the second round and and now in second place for the A main. Nervous 😬

Last edited:
Started the main in second place and was cruising along when I touched the wall and removed my right front wheel. Haha I loose.

Friday night racing is on.
Tonight is indoor off-road and inroad VTA . Both my off road rigs seem to be dialed in. I got to the track an hour early and have been pushing the limits and adjust things. Foam tires souped and cleaned . Everything dialed back to 50% steering because the traction is crazy.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Well I think that was a disaster. No excuses but I am still learning carpet racing.
Tonight I learned about tire prep. I tried rubber tires on my
Mini b and my 2WD buggy. They slipped like grease so I went to the phone and the felt like grease also . So I cleaned and prepped the tires . This gave me a TON of grip. Now if I touch the throttle it would wheelie and if I turn it would flip. So I dialed the steering back to 50% and ent for it. I finished third in the first qualifier and second in the second quarter. And fifth in the main.
The 2WD was the same way except in the first qualifier I did not realize the race had started so I finished last. And then on the second qualifier I won. But the tire compound on both rigs had worn out. I should have redone the tire prep between rounds to keep it consistent. But I felt like it was ok and was afraid to change. So as the race started the tires turned to grease and I have been up since 5:30 and and at 9:00 pm fatigue set in. So I had the fastest lap time but crashed away from a marshal and finished in third place one lap down from the leaders.
Fun night but I’m tired. Carpet oval on Sunday.

Your doing great for just starting out, once you figure out all the in's and out's your going to be unstoppable.
Ha thanks for the kind words. Usually I can manage to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. And to make matters worse I got to figure out my next car. You heard it hear first 1/10 scale 4wd touring car. Looking at X-Ray, Yokomo, or Schumacher. 21.5 spec motor. With a late model touring car body .71 Firebird or a 67 mustang. These things fly.

Back at it on Sunday morning. 8:00 am but we should be finished earlier.

Oval racing stock cars,USAC midgets and RJ modified. Should be fun to run my RJ modified for the first time. I was doing 5 second laps in practice so let’s see how it goes during the race.

3C4BC189-9643-4518-A450-ED7C8B3EE2BE.jpeg

1FBB88EE-47B1-4FFD-ABA2-2D7164C3D906.jpeg

Well good and bad. I got my RJ Sprinter really dialed in and I know at least six people with RJSprinters and no one showed up. Found some of them later at the hobby shop crawling on the new track.
My new modified had some problems in the first heat I crashed and broke one of my fancy tie rods . So I quickly repaired it with the factory upgrade. In the second heat it fell apart because of the poor solder joint. I got that all sorted and then in the A main I got myself into a race. It is a 75 lap main. I got kinda messed up at the start but that left me free of traffic. I don’t know, I just sorta fell into a rhythm. I finished second place with a personal best fast lap of 4.18. And only 3 laps down from the leader with 72 laps. It was wild because I knew if I tried to pass I would crash. And I knew I could not make up the laps I lost so I just tried to stay behind the fast guy. I know we were going good because the whole place was quiet watching. That was a blast.

Late night, I didn’t get home till midnight. But I definitely had a good night. I got in the podium in second place with my 2WD buggy and forth in the Mini-B. The amazing thing is 2nd and 3rd were separated by .025 seconds with 31 laps in both the second qualifying heat and the A-Main. It was that close. I could not blink at the end of the race from holding my eyes open.
Using traction compound between each race is the key. This gave me a very consistent traction. I can’t say enough about the car. It’s an Exotech CB6 and it has no tendency to flip in turns. It’s super light and gets it done. I did break another titanium tie rod in practice. I have another stainless one to replace it luckily . I don’t like titanium. It’s light but snaps to easy. Stainless can be bent back sometimes.
Tomorrow is a three class oval race starting at 8:00 am so I go to get ready.

image.jpg

Back at it on a raining Sunday morning. All the cars are running pretty good. Charging all three cars at once.
Just gotta soup the tires and see who show up for what class. I’m running legends, RJ Modified and USAC midget.

2D4907DA-2D66-489A-B4D0-CC90E95D7881.jpeg

Way to much fun. Finished second in the USAC Midget , third place in Modified and forth place in Legends. But the racing was so close! Everyone just about we on the same lap so four - five seconds separated first through fifth and like three tenth between first and second.
Going to need new tires on the Midget car.

F17FF196-FC62-4602-8CD5-7D33993F80E4.jpeg

Got some pics from Sunday oval racing. Love seeing my USAC Midget and Modified sitting in pole position.

4FFA0D07-554F-43E4-963B-B03DF93D5069.jpeg

13EC8667-190D-44C8-B024-EDBE4E5FD7F9.jpeg

Friday night on and off road racing. I am early but the turnout is a little light. Let’s see how the evening progresses.

D61C681E-8639-4FF2-9A37-F0DFBE7DFD6E.jpeg

Last edited:
So my main competition had an extra control arm and lent it to me after the second qualifying round. So I was able to make the A-Main. I finished fourth out of five.
In Mini B I also finished forth and in 2WD buggy I got first place. Wild bunch of fun.
I think I need a new body and will reinforce the front end with tape at the beginning.

09200881-1D09-4678-8516-6CA41D2FD6F4.jpeg

B9576C0E-B6AC-41A0-8FA6-B1C5105B8783.jpeg

I think I’m good with the body as is.
The tires on the VTA class are very specific 31mm rear 26mm front Protoform tires are the only one’s allowed. But you have to really break them in. They need to be really soaked in tire prep to the point the foams swell and the tire forms a crown. And gets very soft. They guys showed me how they prep the tires and put them in sealed bags.

I got some learning to do. And some parts to buy.
The body will be fine as is.

The 2WD buggy is my Exotek carpet chassis for the B6.4. It is so amazing to drive. Just solid and stable. I can’t wait to get this thing loose on the big new track.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Back on the carpet today. Oval racing at its finest.
Three cars test run charging and all tire prep is done.
The modified rules changed due to the availability of five cell NIMH batteries. Now we run a six cell and that is huge. The voltage is up 1.5 volts and the wheel speed is up 1400 rpm. Car feels super fast but after 50 laps it starts to fade a little. The 75 lap main event will be a challenge to conserve power. The five cell was 3000, the six cell is 2400.

F26BC946-7AA3-43FF-B1F3-913230FF70F6.jpeg

Back