Bored and tired of the heat.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tunedfrog

Kermit the frog is a sissy.
Supporter
Military Veteran
Hospitality Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Crawling
  3. Scale Builder
I can't really handle the heat anymore so I broke out my Realflight sim. My flying is pretty shaky because I didn't mess with the trim and it's been over a year since I used it.
If anybody wants to get into flying then I highly recommend this. Boring video but was fun..

Repeat after me. 8 more weeks. 8 more weeks. Next week 7 more weeks.

May have to look into that. Trucks been sitting 2 months.
Amen to that, because of the heat, we called off flying for tomorrow. It's supposed to 108° it just wears you down so fast. I haven't dug out my real flight in forever...I might just do that tomorrow. :thumbs-up:
My work truck, on those days, I hang shirts on all windows and towel the front. After the heat I want cold and dark.

Anyone try fpv flying?

I never have but thought about it. The wife has even asked about it.
I haven't used my flight sim in over a year so I was pretty erratic. They are a ton of fun though.

Anyone try fpv flying?
I had a buddy who did it, I just didn't enjoy it. If I want a first person view I can play a video game. I like to see my planes fly. When I put a camera on my plane there was a lot of boring video of blue sky. 🤣

Oh that's a neat Sim. I've held off on getting a rc plane because I don't know how to fly them. How close would you say this is to the real thing?

Also may I recommend OBS for screen capture? I believe it's free and that way you don't have to record your screen with a camera.

https://obsproject.com/

Kevin , I highly recommend a Realflight sim. Mine is the Realflight 9.
It taught me how to fly before my actual first flight. I used a trainer plane with my first flight but I couldn't figure out the gps on it so I disabled the training mode and my flight was flawless. Trust me, this will help big time.

Kevin , I highly recommend a Realflight sim. Mine is the Realflight 9.
It taught me how to fly before my actual first flight. I used a trainer plane with my first flight but I couldn't figure out the gps on it so I disabled the training mode and my flight was flawless. Trust me, this will help big time.
Awesome, just looked it up and it's $99.99. Which is a heck of a lot cheaper than buying an RC and ruining it two seconds later.
I will for sure be picking this up some day! Thanks :D

Awesome, you will love it.
I don't fly much actually because I really prefer my cars but I do like my sim.

Confession -----
Bless me father for I have sinned ,
I crashed 8 airplanes before this video..
🤣 and look how much money it didn't cost you!

Oh that's a neat Sim. I've held off on getting a rc plane because I don't know how to fly them. How close would you say this is to the real thing?

Also may I recommend OBS for screen capture? I believe it's free and that way you don't have to record your screen with a camera.

https://obsproject.com/
The flight sim is really good for learning the controls and learning muscle memory. There are some things that are different in real life, it's actually easier to see your planes in real life. Overall it's quite helpful if your thinking about giving flying a try. It also has the bonus of flying and crashing without stinging your wallet. :thumbs-up:

I got into flying during this past winter. While I did great on RF9, flying in real life was a struggle for me. Luckily, the planes I bought are beginner planes and all have flight stabilization, so it helps immensely. However, I still manage to crash once I come out of the fs. It's more about nerves than anything with me. I go into panic mode, when the plane does something I'm not expecting, and next thing I know, I'm over compensating and going completely out of control. Even at a slow 25-30mph(for a plane) the ground comes up FAST!
After destroying my 2nd plane, I became very discouraged and decided to give it a break for awhile. It was at this time, I started getting back into my rc cars. Then it evolved into scale crawlers, and now, that is all I'm really interested in. I'm sure I'll give flying another go, but not right now. For now, I'm going to stick to terra firma and moving along at a snails' pace.

Last edited:
I have tried flying a plane before. It didn't go well because the trainer guy had me up so high I couldn't tell the front from the back or the top from the bottom of the plane. So I only had a few seconds of control each time he released control to me.

Now drones are a different story. I can fly line of sight or FPV, and racers and camera drones. Probably the funnest thing for me in RC was when I finally got the hang of flying an FPV racer. It was one of those moments where it just clicked and I felt like a bird. With that I don't really have a desire to fly anything that isn't FPV. I need to get a RC plane and see how that goes, because I know I could do that.

Have you ever tried FPV @Tunedpipe?

I go into panic mode, when the plane does something I'm not expecting, and next thing I know, I'm over compensating and going completely out of control.
This is the number one killer of rc planes. I have to talk my buddy down occasionally, especially when he gets a new plane or we haven't flown in a while, he will let his nerves get the better of him.

This is the number one killer of rc planes. I have to talk my buddy down occasionally, especially when he gets a new plane or we haven't flown in a while, he will let his nerves get the better of him.
So what would be a good, small trainer to get? Something that is durable and electric powered would be nice too.

I already have a Taranis X9D Tx.
Monster1_922x.jpg

@WickedFog Right now The E-Flight Apprentice is probably the best trainer. It's not small, but that is a good thing. Makes it more stable in the air and easier to see. Even if you don't use the "safe" technology, it is a gentle predictable flier. It also has enough get up and go to still be fun for when you get a little more comfortable with it.

@WickedFog Right now The E-Flight Apprentice is probably the best trainer. It's not small, but that is a good thing. Makes it more stable in the air and easier to see. Even if you don't use the "safe" technology, it is a gentle predictable flier. It also has enough get up and go to still be fun for when you get a little more comfortable with it.
I was looking for something a bit smaller that I could fly and maybe get my son flying with it. The field by my place is pretty small, so that would be a bit too big. But that looks interesting.

So what would be a good, small trainer to get? Something that is durable and electric powered would be nice too.

I already have a Taranis X9D Tx.View attachment 130862
Another great trainer is the Aeroscout 1.1!
Its a "pusher", which means the prop is not in the front. Much lesser chance of prop damage on bad landings/take-offs. It comes with flight stabilization, the RTR is only $200. Another cool thing about this model is that you could remove the landing gears and belly land on grass, and take off via hand launch. So, no need for a smooth, long runway. You could also get skis for landing gear, for flying during the winter.
I was looking for something a bit smaller that I could fly and maybe get my son flying with it. The field by my place is pretty small, so that would be a bit too big. But that looks interesting.
The problem with small, is that you are very dependent on wind conditions. However, I started out with this micro, and I can tell you it works great and can take a beating! As a matter of fact, my original is still intact. It also comes with flight stabilization.

SONIKRC VOLANTEXRC Remote Control Airplane P51D 400mm 4CH 2.4G RC Model Plane Outdoor Toys for Kid Birthday Gift https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0856ZD1X...abc_GMHWSD0HGA9REVJWV1XY?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Back