Battery Connectors

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Xraycer

RCTalk VIP
Lifetime Supporter!
Supporter
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
  3. Crawling
  4. Flying
Just got back into the hobby after a 10 year hiatus. Since then, there are now a number of new battery connector types available.
I'm running brushless with no more than 3s, and have always used Deans. Just want to know what people are using, and why this choice.

I use deans as well but that's only because I don't feel like soldering other connectors on.

EDIT: I occasionally use an EC5 plug for high-current applications.

Last edited:
xt 90 is the plug for me these days It can handle the amps I'm putting thru it 100% easy install ..

I use deans as well but that's only because I don't feel like soldering other connectors on.
Am I correct to assume that the 90 is for amps?
What is the rated amps for IC5 and Traxxas connectors?

I swapped all my stuff over to xt90's from traxxas plugs a year or so ago. Way easier to solder, tend to hold together well and easier to get my mitts on to pull them apart.

They do pop apart on hard lawn dart landings, but not nearly as easily as the TRX plugs did. On trucks where I can't strap them down well, I made little locking clips out of 1/8" delrin bar stock. 10 minutes and a dremel, no more disconnecting when I don't want it to:
2019-1019-XT90-RetainerClips.jpg

Also, I use the XT90S on my 4S+ packs which stops the popping/arcing when plugging them in. On my 6S trucks, I ran 2x3S packs and I'd put one of the XT90S plugs on one of each pair, then plug that one in last each time.

I swapped all my stuff over to xt90's from traxxas plugs a year or so ago. Way easier to solder, tend to hold together well and easier to get my mitts on to pull them apart.

They do pop apart on hard lawn dart landings, but not nearly as easily as the TRX plugs did. On trucks where I can't strap them down well, I made little locking clips out of 1/8" delrin bar stock. 10 minutes and a dremel, no more disconnecting when I don't want it to:
2019-1019-XT90-RetainerClips.jpg

Also, I use the XT90S on my 4S+ packs which stops the popping/arcing when plugging them in. On my 6S trucks, I ran 2x3S packs and I'd put one of the XT90S plugs on one of each pair, then plug that one in last each time.
Cool diy! My Dean's sometime does this as well on hard landings. I've just been using electrical tape to secure the connectors.

Thanks, guys! I just got a 10 pack off Amazon. I will be converting my large lipo batteries over to these XT90.

Cool diy! My Dean's sometime does this as well on hard landings. I've just been using electrical tape to secure the connectors.
I didn't want something that I had to redo every time (zip ties) or leave a residue (tape). Thought about velcro, but couldn't get a strip narrow enough that fit between the wires and held well. So I went with this.

On my revo, I ended up getting some xt90 clamps to hold the esc ends down to the rear chassis brace I made, which keeps the wires from flopping around at all and getting chewed up in the battery doors, but I do still use the delrin clip on my stampede 4x4.

I didn't want something that I had to redo every time (zip ties) or leave a residue (tape). Thought about velcro, but couldn't get a strip narrow enough that fit between the wires and held well. So I went with this.

On my revo, I ended up getting some xt90 clamps to hold the esc ends down to the rear chassis brace I made, which keeps the wires from flopping around at all and getting chewed up in the battery doors, but I do still use the delrin clip on my stampede 4x4.
My electrical tape doesn't leave any residue, at least for the short time I keep it on the connector. I find the electrical tape comes on and off easily, while providing enough holding power. At the end of the driving session, I remove it and toss it.

Got it.

I typically run more than one set of packs through a truck when I run and in the winter, there's water to deal with. Probably another reason I didn't mess with tape. Trying to retape wet connectors with cold fingers doesn't sound fun. :)

Back