Anyone into firearms?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As a Marine we of course use the M16 and M4 rifles, and I have an AR, but I actually prefer my modded out AK-47. It’s very accurate with more muscle than the 5.56. People say it’s a garbage inaccurate rifle, sure if you have the damn wood furniture on it of course. The factory iron sights are tough to get used to, but have accurate yard increment adjustments(if you have time to adjust while you’re being shot at). I have a red dot and a 3x magnifier on mine with the Texas weapons systems (TWS) dog leg rail, it’s a very good rifle. There’s no problem with shooting beer cans way out there. The 7.62 is what body armor is built to withstand, that says a lot. Skulls and organs are afraid of the 7.62.
View attachment 176763

It has a folding stock apparatus on it, but I may go away from that in the future. There’s stocks out there that I like a little more these days.
How many rounds to that drum?

Looks like a good carbine.

I've owned a few AKs, but never got as comfortable with them as I am with the AR (bought my first in 1978).

I have a couple in .300 Blackout,for those rare times when a 5.56 might not get it done. This is my favorite.

J4sKVDu.jpg

Little brother, 5.56

Z6qafMX.jpg

Last edited:
Years ago my dad said I can pick out a gun for Christmas. Instantly it was shot down...... my choice was an ak47
Someone came out with a modernized new and improved ak47 design, Americanized of course. It’s like a $2000 rifle but looked real nice. The manufacturer alludes me now though…..
I got bit by the AK bug a few years ago. View attachment 176765View attachment 176766
Is that the RPK ?
How many rounds to that drum?
Indeed a 75 round drum. Sometimes I get confused on how to load it.

I’m in to the 80% stuff now. Just got a P80 that is compatible with most Glock type stuff and I’ll probably do .40cal because it’s my go to pistol round, and I have an AR 80% lower that I don’t know what direction to go with. I’d like something long range, like a .224 Valkyrie but it’s not a popular round so I’m still unsure of which caliber to go with. I could shoot 5.56 all day, and with the right powder/bullet combination a .223/5.56 round is very capable. 500-800 yards is a long way and it can do it.
I got bit by the AK bug a few years ago. View attachment 176765View attachment 176766
Mine came looking like the one on the left, all blacked out plastic furniture. It’s a Saiga Russian made.

Mine came looking like the one on the left, all blacked out plastic furniture. It’s a Saiga Russian made.
That one is a Bulgarian Arsenal SLR-107. Always wanted a Russian SGL, but they went through the roof before I ever got a chance. I did have a Russian Izhmash Saiga 12 at one point, but traded it off.

I also have a couple of SKS rifles.
FB_IMG_1515963876216.jpg

That one is a Bulgarian Arsenal SLR-107. Always wanted a Russian SGL, but they went through the roof before I ever got a chance. I did have a Russian Izhmash Saiga 12 at one point, but traded it off.

I also have a couple of SKS rifles.View attachment 176768
So sweet
yes the Russian izhmash SAIGA is what I have it was like $900 when I bought it. Way over priced

Did I mention I love lever actions? Specifically JM Marlins. Here's a 336 30-30, a 1894 .357 mag and a 1895G 45-70. I do have a Henry Golden boy 22 and Browning 92 in .44 mag also.
20210919_172802.jpg

So sweet
yes the Russian izhmash SAIGA is what I have it was like $900 when I bought it. Way over priced
I got my 7.62 Izhmash Saiga M3 Exp-01B (essentially an AK-103 sans the out–of–battery safety and folding stock) in 2004 for 330 euros. I’ve looked at the prices going up but I’m not selling mine.

The rifle has a number of sneaky mods on it. I have filed the top of the grip to a different angle to make it more vertical, not unlike a square, because the LoP is very short for me. I also moved the sling loop on the stock from the left to the right side. The rapid-adjustable sling goes over my right shoulder, across the back, and under my left pit to the front. Simple, fast to use, and can be used for support.

To tame the action, I drilled a cross hole near the end of the gas piston and another one in from the front. Some of the excess gas comes in from the middle of the piston and hits a T-intersection on the way out. The front hole is tapped so I can swap in set screws with various hole sizes for incremental adjustment. I’ve set it to lean on the reliable side even in the cold.

All the mating surfaces of the moving parts are polished for a slick action. The safety lever has an index finger shelf.

The rear sight is an adjustable Mojo ghost ring sight. I wanted an adjustable rear sight so I can center the front sight between the protectors. Better for fast aiming like this.

It’s an OK rifle and I prefer mine over the ”modernized” builds that add tons of weight – especially to the front – without big enough advantages to justify the added bulk.

Weight is also the reason I prefer stamped over milled. My issued service rifle is ”the best AK” Sako RK95 but I’m honestly not sure which one I would prefer for a situation that’s not a drill. My personal one is not quite as accurate as the state-owned but it’s accurate enough and considerably lighter. Not that I’d get to pick: we use what we get.

During 2005–2006, I built myself a 14.5” modern sporting rifle from mostly Colt parts, the upper is almost entirely from their LE Carbine. There’s no question mr. Stoner was way ahead of his time and I’m a big fan of this design. It’s an excellent rifle.