30/45/80/120A LiPo Discharger Build

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok, So I happen to have a 300A current, volt and temp meter that should definitely work for this but the design is big and bulky and the wiring is different so I'm gonna have to rethink the existing wiring I've already done. That being said If I can figure out how to incorporate it in to my design it should give me a little more info that the other watt meter. I'm not convinced that other watt meter was up to the task anyway even though it said it was supposed to be good up to 150A.

The 300A beefy system I have may be a bit of overkill so I might look around for a whole different device. Not sure yet. This is a set back but hopefully wont take me too long to figure something out.

I dont think that solder iron will be in-stock long as it was discontinued last year...but I've had mine since late 1980's only needed it 2x but got it after I traded my bosch (some of the solder was Toxic to all) swapped out my bosch with 6 tubes of solder for the uti 100 and 200.I'm sure you can find a old school 1 that you heated up with torch then used it till it cooled down..

garage sales estate sales a normal find item

https://www.ebay.com/itm/3839429284...1291&msclkid=6270cc1978be197bfb6fad34344e7c13

Last edited:
Thanks for the link. I definitely need something hotter than my 60W station if I ever do anything like that again. I saved it in my amazon favorites in case I find myself needing something more powerful
You can get a 100W one pretty cheap... kind of like wielding a baseball bat though, so really only good for bigger stuff. I have one with a plug in rheostat that I use to make quick work of xt90's with 10AWG and to use that aluminum solder/flux stuff for lipo tabs.

I use my 60w for everything else.

https://www.amazon.com/Choice-Stained-Glass-Soldering-Rheostat/dp/B077BLVDHD

You can get a 100W one pretty cheap... kind of like wielding a baseball bat though, so really only good for bigger stuff. I have one with a plug in rheostat that I use to make quick work of xt90's with 10AWG and to use that aluminum solder/flux stuff for lipo tabs.

I use my 60w for everything else.

https://www.amazon.com/Choice-Stained-Glass-Soldering-Rheostat/dp/B077BLVDHD
Hmmm might look in to that. much more afordable than the butane torch although that butane torch is supposed to be 200W. Thanks for the link.

Ok, for those of you geeky enough to care, I figured out what was wrong with my Battery discharger! Well technically I took it to work and had an electrical engineer I know help me figure out the problem. I've almost got it finished. I'm waiting an some glue to dry right now then I can finish up the little bit of wiring I have left to do. Pics and video demo coming tomorrow!!! We'll see if we can make a LiPo explode! 🤣 🤣 🤣

Make sure you stand behind a lead curtain covered in cottage cheese in case you open a black hole. If you got any jello, it helps to cover yourself in that as well. Make sure to take lots of pics so we can make sure you got enough jello coverage. Oh, and take some pics of the "device" too! 🤪

Make sure you stand behind a lead curtain covered in cottage cheese in case you open a black hole. If you got any jello, it helps to cover yourself in that as well. Make sure to take lots of pics so we can make sure you got enough jello coverage. Oh, and take some pics of the "device" too! 🤪
Um... this thread has taken a bit of a turn...

Um... this thread has taken a bit of a turn...

LOL, No black hole opened. I did just give it a test run and the max amp draw on this thing ends up being more like 100A rather than 120A. Thats still one hell of an amp draw though. It starts out higher than 100A but the voltage falls so fast that it dips down to 100A pretty quick and once the voltage gets down to around 6.8V its pulling maybe 90ish Amps. The lower the voltage sags the lower the amp draw. Plus another factor that played a part is when I was doing resistance calculations I didnt account for anything besides the resistors themselves. lesson learned. IDK why but I didnt think to factor in resistance for any of the wire, breakers, etc etc. That being said Id have been lucky if I could have stuffed even just 2 more resistors in there which even if I did it would have only produced maybe an extra 10A. Over all I couldnt be happier with how its turning out.

Oh and btw, since I'm not using an RC specific watt meter I was able to put a temp probe inside the middle of the case so I can keep tabs on how hot its getting inside of it. I have to figure out all of the settings on the watt meter but it has a battery gauge on it too where you can set the mAh of the battery and it will tell you what percent charge it has left on it. More coming tomorrow!

So it ended up being roughly a 35/45/70/80/110A charger depending on what breakers I turn on. Roughly anyway, depends on battery voltage a lot. :)

Slowly but surely making progress. I'm having to wait for the liquid tape to dry before I can put some 20mm heatshrink around the connectors. It is really hard to solder 3 pieces of 8AWG together using a 60W soldering station btw. I'm pretty sure that in order to do work on this level I should have a bigger tip and more wattage. I had to crank my station all the way up to 900F and it was still a MF. Once the liquid tape dries then I can put some heatshrink around the whole thing and it will make the single wire wide enough that 20mm heat shrink will clamp all the way around it and the 3 wires on the other end to make it look more neat. Once I get that done then I have to make some connectors going from 8mm bullet connectors to the other various connectors that the lipos have on them.

Oh and BTW.....F*CK EC Connectors. I dont care if theyre EC2, EC3, EC5, or EC8....I hate these connectors. Such a PITA to put them together. O__o

View attachment 131705View attachment 131707
Holly crap dude that's awesome. Glad you were finally able to get it together and finished. Looks good bud well done 👍👍👍👍 can't wait to hear about the testing of the lipos... that solder joint on the 3)8awg really does look like a PITA.. Once you use your spiffy shrink cutter and wrap it it will look very professional... 👍👍👍👍

Holly crap dude that's awesome. Glad you were finally able to get it together and finished. Looks good bud well done 👍👍👍👍 can't wait to hear about the testing of the lipos... that solder joint on the 3)8awg really does look like a PITA.. Once you use your spiffy shrink cutter and wrap it it will look very professional... 👍👍👍👍
Thanks man. Wait till you see the finished product. I've added a lot to it since the last pics.

Its was a PITA to be sure but not the worst thing ever.

Thanks man. Wait till you see the finished product. I've added a lot to it since the last pics.

Its was a PITA to be sure but not the worst thing ever.
Oh man I can't wait to see it. And read the report about how all these lipos are the same. And the so called top of the line I the same as the so called garbage lilos... 🤣🤣

Once I get the discharger lined out then I have one final step which is to get the data logger squared away and figured out. I want to be able to chart the discharges on a graph.

Once I get the discharger lined out then I have one final step which is to get the data logger squared away and figured out. I want to be able to chart the discharges on a graph.
Oh man. This discharger is going to be SWEET!!!!! NICE JOB WOLF👍👍
Can not wait to see the graphs and the report...🙈🙊🙉

Back