30/45/80/120A LiPo Discharger Build

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sweet good job man... guessing that's the liquid tape you talked about
All the white goop is yeah. Once it dries it will look more uniform but its always ugly when its wet lol
Its also hard not to get it all over thing cuz of the big fat brush thats in the bottle but I want to insulate the inside as much as possible to protect from accidental shorts.

Nice man.. getting closer to the testing...sweet

Ok, Finished up the Resistor section. Once I let the second coat of liquid tape and the shoe goo holding the 2 plates together I will attempt to mount it in the case and get to the next stage. I'm hoping to finish this all up today. doesn't look purdy but its the internals so hopefully teh finished product will look better and actually work lol
20210822_122014.jpg

Well I didnt finish it like I was hoping but I'm definitely down to the home stretch. I had to stop for a couple hours earlier to go help a friend of mine and all this custom stuff always takes longer than you think it will. I'm sure you guys know how it goes. Its like put X part on and have to take x back off to fix soemthing. Put X part back on again and take it back off. rinse and repeat half a dozen times for every step. Its starting to look like a serious piece of hardware though if I do say so myself 💪 💪 💪
20210822_160441.jpg

20210822_160422.jpg

20210822_160415.jpg
20210822_160429.jpg
20210822_161434.jpg
20210822_161418.jpg
20210822_161424.jpg
20210822_161453.jpg

Well I didnt finish it like I was hoping but I'm definitely down to the home stretch. I had to stop for a couple hours earlier to go help a friend of mine and all this custom stuff always takes longer than you think it will. I'm sure you guys know how it goes. Its like put X part on and have to take x back off to fix soemthing. Put X part back on again and take it back off. rinse and repeat half a dozen times for every step. Its starting to look like a serious piece of hardware though if I do say so myself 💪 💪 💪
View attachment 131506
View attachment 131507
View attachment 131508View attachment 131509View attachment 131510View attachment 131511View attachment 131512View attachment 131513
Holly crap dude!!! That's awesome bud!!! It's finally coming together.. looks very professionally built... well done.. alot of hard work and unexpected hiccups along the way.. But its About to put out some really good battery data. I can't wait to see and read the report... WELL DONE BUD!!!!! 👍👍👍..

It was a snug fit but I crammed it all in there.......... (Thats what she said) 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣

It was a snug fit but I crammed it all in there.......... (Thats what she said) 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣
🤣🤣🤣 little lub always cuts down on the screaming and yelling of the tight fit.. or just some liquid tape like you used... 🤣🤣🤣🤣

But does it work? 🤣 You know I'm kidding, this kind of stuff is beyond my capabilities for sure. Looking forward to the testing phase. :thumbs-up:

Slowly but surely making progress. I'm having to wait for the liquid tape to dry before I can put some 20mm heatshrink around the connectors. It is really hard to solder 3 pieces of 8AWG together using a 60W soldering station btw. I'm pretty sure that in order to do work on this level I should have a bigger tip and more wattage. I had to crank my station all the way up to 900F and it was still a MF. Once the liquid tape dries then I can put some heatshrink around the whole thing and it will make the single wire wide enough that 20mm heat shrink will clamp all the way around it and the 3 wires on the other end to make it look more neat. Once I get that done then I have to make some connectors going from 8mm bullet connectors to the other various connectors that the lipos have on them.

Oh and BTW.....F*CK EC Connectors. I dont care if theyre EC2, EC3, EC5, or EC8....I hate these connectors. Such a PITA to put them together. O__o

20210827_180459.jpg
20210827_180447.jpg

You guys see what kind of lengths I'm having to go to just to pull 120A out of a lipo battery. You see the hardware and the size wire thats involved. This is why C ratings are complete BS.

I didnt get much more done today but I did finish up the main wiring. All I have left to do know if change the connectors on my power meter that I'm going to run inline with this and wire up the fans with a switch. I started to do the fans but then I realized I have to stop and plan out how I want to run the wiring, what LiPos I'm going to use and what connectors. I already know what switch I'm going to use.

Also I'm going to include the diagram of how I wired this thing up just incase soemone down the road somewhere wants to make one for themselves. I ended up wiring this as 3 separate circuits ran in parallel. Technically I should change all the Amperage ratings on the circuit breakers but I'm to lazy to take it all back apart. If I ever have to tear it down then Ill replace em.

20210828_173754.jpg

20210828_173226.jpg

Well, I finished the discharger today but guess what.... Yup, doesn't Fing work 🤬🤬🤬

I'm gonna take it to work Monday or Tuesday and have one of the electrical engineers take a look at it See if they can figure out why. I'm sooo bummed out. I can't understand for the life of me why its not working O__o

I went back and rewatched the video of a guy that made a 40A discharger using 6 of these same exact resistors. Only thing I did different was use more resistors and added breakers to use as on/off switches to control how much load I'm putting on the batteries. 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
OK, so I took it to work with me today and had a colleague thats an electrical engineer look at it. We discovered that that cheap crappy watt meter that I had attached inline to the discharger isnt working properly. For whatever reason it seems like whenever a load is put on it the circuit opens which keeps voltage from passing through it. Got to find a different watt meter for it. Will post back when I find out more.

OK, so I took it to work with me today and had a colleague thats an electrical engineer look at it. We discovered that that cheap crappy watt meter that I had attached inline to the discharger isnt working properly. For whatever reason it seems like whenever a load is put on it the circuit opens which keeps voltage from passing through it. Got to find a different watt meter for it. Will post back when I find out more.
I knew you would figure it out.

Back