2 speed or slipper

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

2 speed V.S slipper clutch

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dannyd

Hardcore RCTalk User
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
i can't decide which to get. its for my nitro rs4 mt. the price of neither doesn't bother me. I'm ususally driving on the streets but some times in my back yard when i dont want to attack no attention. the 2 speed will give me a higher top speed and the slipper gives me traction control and some other stuff. if you guy were to get one which would you get?

I have an MT(retired to shelf) anbd broke the 2speed a couple of times,due to jumping.After that I put in the slipper clutch,and all was well in that part of the truck.So I did and continue to vote for the slipper clutch.

thanks for the imput.

no one else have any say so on which might be better?

I have an NMT and own both the slipper and two-speed. I never use the two-speed off road, because it is easily damaged from jumps and hard terrain. The slipper is king for off-road. If you want to give your buddie's buggy or jato a run for it's money, you'll need the two-speed.

From my experience, just make sure you have lots of extra spurs on hand if you plan on using the two-speed offroad! :2cents:

thanks Zaytri. do you know if there are different spur gears for the slipper? i know it comes with a 52t which is the same a a stock mt. i want a spur with less teeth like in the mid 40s close to 50 range. like a 47t.

If you go with the MT2 slipper, you have all the options that the savage has available. Same spur gear.

If you don't run stock gearing, you will obviously need to get some sort of aftermarket engine mounts so it can slide.

From what I've read and been told, the MT2 slipper drops right in. The cups mount differently, but that's about it. And it's way cheaper than the slipper made for the NMT.

thanks olds. i already have a adjustable motor mount. i didnt know i could put the mt2 slipper on the original thanks bro.

:wasted: Two speed on the street is more " impressive" for fun ...but for the track slipper for the traction

I'm not 100% sure on the MT2, because i own the NMT -- I tried the 47t and i could not get it to properly line up with my clutchbell <too much space, couldnt get it close enough> but I'm not sure about the MT2. I never really tinkered with it too much, and I may have purchased the wrong spur. I just use the 52t and adjust clutchbell based on what I'm going for speed/accel wise. I find it's 10x easier to pull off the engine and change clutchbell then mess with the middle spur. Engine is 4 screws and one ball cup and it's off, while the center spur involves re-connectings the dogbones to the diffs, and lining up the ball bearings you need to be a :ninja: to get it done quickly, at least for me! What I do is keep two middle spurs on hand. One in the truck, one in my box, so if i strip it at the track, i dont have to sit and rebuild it, just pop it out and drop the new one in.

dannyd said:
thanks Zaytri. do you know if there are different spur gears for the slipper? i know it comes with a 52t which is the same a a stock mt. i want a spur with less teeth like in the mid 40s close to 50 range. like a 47t.

The Nitro MT spur shaft has flat spots for the set screw to tighten against. The MT2 spur shaft has holes for pins that go all the way through.

oh ok i got you olds. but do you think ill be able to use the universals with some modification. ill you the savage screw pins you posted. i can round out the inside of the universal joints if they need to be rounded ( dought it).

Yeah... probably. You might need to either drill a hole in the universal so a pin can go through the non-threaded side or, grind a flat spot on the shaft and use a set screw.

However, I don't know if the shafts are the same size.

If you are not going to do any on road racing, then i say go with the slipper clutch because it works both on and off the road and provides more traction control.