New wheels/tires for my slash and rustler

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DavidB1126

Team Bomb Pop
Supporter
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
  3. Crawling
  4. Scale Builder
Here is the thing. I am not sure if I want off road tires or street tires. I mostly run on the street/sidewalk and do some off roading in the field next to my house and in the back yard. Here is what I am thinking for my slash. Proline SCT street fighters, Proline badlands SCT, Duratrax six pack SCT, Duratrax speed treads or banditos SCT. I have the same tire options for the rustler but just in stadium truck size. I will look at Jconcepts too but they are more for racing/drag racing than bashing. Also I have a set of Duratrax lockup MT 2.8 C2 wheels/tires. Ran them on the slash and rustler. Since they are so big and heavy they cause alot of problems like stripped spur gears, rubbing on body and arms, burnt transmission cases, motor heat even when gearing down (lowest pinion I have is a 14) so I am thinking about selling them or keeping them just in case I do a monster truck build or get a monster truck. Like a arrma granite or convert my slash into a stampede. Those MT tires are still like new. Only ran outside on the sidewalk 4 times and in the grass 2 of those times. Have no water or anything in the wheel. Another question is would the off road tires hook up on the street/sidewalk? I seen a couple use the badlands and they hookup on the road.
I have the Traxxas anaconda wheels/tires on the slash and rustler. I like them but I want something new.
I am trying to stay away from stock Traxxas wheels/tires. I heard that all variations of the slash tires from Traxxas are not that good, have no traction and so stiff.

Here is the thing. I am not sure if I want off road tires or street tires. I mostly run on the street/sidewalk and do some off roading in the field next to my house and in the back yard. Here is what I am thinking for my slash. Proline SCT street fighters, Proline badlands SCT, Duratrax six pack SCT, Duratrax speed treads or banditos SCT. I have the same tire options for the rustler but just in stadium truck size. I will look at Jconcepts too but they are more for racing/drag racing than bashing. Also I have a set of Duratrax lockup MT 2.8 C2 wheels/tires. Ran them on the slash and rustler. Since they are so big and heavy they cause alot of problems like stripped spur gears, rubbing on body and arms, burnt transmission cases, motor heat even when gearing down (lowest pinion I have is a 14) so I am thinking about selling them or keeping them just in case I do a monster truck build or get a monster truck. Like a arrma granite or convert my slash into a stampede. Those MT tires are still like new. Only ran outside on the sidewalk 4 times and in the grass 2 of those times. Have no water or anything in the wheel. Another question is would the off road tires hook up on the street/sidewalk? I seen a couple use the badlands and they hookup on the road.
I have the Traxxas anaconda wheels/tires on the slash and rustler. I like them but I want something new.
I am trying to stay away from stock Traxxas wheels/tires. I heard that all variations of the slash tires from Traxxas are not that good, have no traction and so stiff.
I have duratrax speed thread on my nitro slash. 0 traction, slides all over the place, but it seems that they will last a long time. Prolene trenchers sct have good traction an road and off-road, good thread life. I would say original Traxxas tires are the best choice overall but they wear out relatively fast, but not terrible compare.to some other tires. On arrma infraction mega thread is gone after only 9 packs on a dog slow brushed car.

Honestly I would not change original Traxxas tires until they are completely worn down to the foam like on my rally.

David, ran P-L Street Fighters on the Rustler R1E and am migrating them to the R43X Rustler.

Have run them on-road concrete on both the Rustler and the MT10 at speeds up to 54mph (86kph). Plan on taking them into the 60mph (100kph) range and anticipating no issues. At first, I was hesitant about the replaceable hex (12mm) inserts, but they are no problem and kind of like them now. Gives the ability to change the front or rear track width ~1/2in (+) (-).

Have not noticed any ballooning issues yet. For speed running, did a rotating balance for the fronts. Won't be necessary for bashing or normal street running. Probably not even necessary for the speeds I'm running now. Just old habit.

Hope this helps the decision-making process a bit. Cheers. 'AC'

[ EDIT: watched the vid Bogda posted ^^. Test run looks like running on sealed asphalt-which will offer less traction than an unsealed asphalt. The Street Fighters looked to hold well on that surface as well. ]

20221105_153418_resize RCT.jpg

Last edited:
I had been aiming more for off road tires. I will still keep my anacondas for street use. When I was running in the field with the rustler with the anacondas I was sort of sliding around getting no traction. And also since it is 2wd I get stuck on the steep hill to get back up to the sidewalk. Been looking at the Proline Trencher and duratrax six pack. I put on the MT tires on the rustler and tightened up the slipper clutch. Stripped a spur gear not even 20 seconds into bashing. That was the stock 86t spur so I put in an extra 90t spur. Felt a little faster on the street so right now my gearing is 23/90.
I tightened up the slipper clutch because last time I left it a little loose and then I burnt the transmission case and input shaft. Now I have the 272R transmission which is better plastic and has an aluminum motor plate.

Last edited:
Have a set of P-L Trencher belted. Feel they are too heavy for all but one of my RC applications. Saving them back for when the MT10 makes 3S on-road speed runs. Did try them one time on grass runs with the MT10. They seemed to struggle for traction. Think they are more a dirt and loam tire-hence the "Trencher" name.

Maybe the non-belted Trencher is lighter and o.k. for a Rustler-type 1/10th?. Dunno. Thay are also of a diameter and width I don't think is needed by either my Rusty or MT10 (save an on-road smooth surface run).

Here are comparative assembled wheel/tire weights for a single assembly using my home digital scale: Standard Associated MT10 = 5.35oz. P-L Demolisher MT = 6.8oz. P-L Trencher (Belted) = 8.6oz.

Hope this helps. Good luck. Cheers. 'AC'

There is no such thing as an "All Terrain" tire that works well in all conditions.

For abrasive pavement, you want a harder compound with a tread pattern that offers more contact patch to get a balance between grip and wear. Street Fighters have done well for me in this condition.

For grass/dirt, you generally want a softer compound tire with a pin design to grab into the loose material for best results. Pretty much any pin tire will work so long as it isn't a medium compound.... anything from Soft Long Wear to Super Soft will be based on temps and surface for ideal performance and wear life

Final decisions slash: Proline Trencher SCT (non belted) or Duratrax Six Pack SCT for off-road. For road and street bashing I am going towards the Proline street fighters SCT. Might look at some of the traxxas w/t but I would rather go with Proline of Duratrax. I had seen stock traxxas tires being stiff and wear fast.

Final decisions rustler: I don't want to go with Proline with either the badlands or trenchers because of being so heavy. I am leaning towards the Duratrax Six pack or the Traxxas talon tires from the Rustler 4x4. For street bashing I am leaning towards the Proline street fighters.

I like the anaconda tires I have now for both cars. The tread is still great. It is just the wheels being chipped and rough around the tire. Also they aren't really street tires. I still slide around kind of with the anacondas. All in all I am thinking about getting off road tires for both cars and keeping the anacondas for street use.

When I was running in the field yesterday I got stuck alot so hopefully taller off road tires work. I will also raise the shocks on the arms to the highest position.

For heavier tires I would think the 4x4 versions of the slash and rustler could handle it better.
It would be cool if I had the money and got all of the tires and did an experiment. I will do that with pinion and spur gears. My uncle said when he used to race 13.5 on carpet he used a 26t pinion gear. I have a 20 in right now so I will get more gears and just experiment on what is best for me and the electronics - For the buggy.

Sounds like you have given it fair consideration, David. Interested to read how that set up works out.

For speed runs on grass, I'm putting my marker down on the Associated MT10 wheel/tire assembly. Last wheel/tire combo in my inventory.

For grins, am posting up my MT10 with the 2.8in Trencher Belted. Lot of tire for a 12mm nylon hex. Heck, flat out just a lot of tire. Cheers. 'AC'

20220608_153659_resize RCT.jpg

Now I know you don’t want Traxxas tires, but really consider the Kuhmos and BFG KM2s if you haven’t. The Trencher X SC is perfect for most bashing conditions including pavement, but Talons will wear out really fast (Just ask a merv owner). I myself will be getting PL Trenchers for my merv after the talons wear too much.