Custom 2-speed transmission ratios

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tudordewolf

RCTalk Addict
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Hey all,

I'm working on some unusual gearings and I'm wondering what input & experience the community might have. I want to create a 2-speed transmission with a much bigger step between the gears than is usually seen, which appears to be a 35-45% shift in most models. I've figured out a set of gears that'd give me a 90% leap, and I'm envisioning it on a short-course or monster-truck, where it stays in 1st gear for most offroading, and then shifts into second when really picking up speed on open ground.

The default HSP clutch bell is a 16/21, paired with either a 39/44 or a 42/47 transmission depending on model. I found an 18/23 clutch bell, which gave me about 10% more speed in the onroad, and a 14/19, which should give about 10% more torque, potentially useful in their SCT which is a bit weak in grass.

With the two available transmissions also being about 10% apart in terms of ratio, there's a nice breadth of setups to choose from to fine-tune performance.

I've had this idea in the back of my head that if I found a clutch bell with a difference of 8 teeth between first and second gear, I could take the first gear from the "lower" transmission and the second gear from the higher transmission, and create a 2-speed that spans nearly the entire range of ratios available. I assume the shift clutch would wear down faster, having to engage across a much wider RPM difference (if it's still able to grab the second gear at all), and the shift point would have the be set fairly high in order for the engine to still have the RPM's & power to climb through second gear.

I found a 14/22 clutch bell; I have to assume someone either had the same idea I did, or there's a nitro model out there I've never heard of, because I've never encountered such a wide gap. It's on the way and I'll see how it performs.

Traxxas also makes a 15T threaded gear, and HPI makes a 23T threaded gear, so I could potentially cobble together a 15/23 clutch for more or less the same effect. Does anyone know if traxxas and HPI threaded clutch bells used the same 12mm thread?

Does anyone know if traxxas and HPI threaded clutch bells used the same 12mm thread?
I'm not sure what you are asking. I've never seen a clutchbell with threads?

I'm curious to see what you come up with though. Its an intriguing idea :)

I'm not sure what you are asking. I've never seen a clutchbell with threads?

I'm curious to see what you come up with though. Its an intriguing idea :)

Something like this:

1668834475902.png

Which lets you thread on whatever gears you want / can find:
1668834553222.png

My mind is blown haha....
You sure are a tinkerer mate!

Let me know if you figure out an easy way of taking these threaded pinion gears off without damaging the bell, as I have one that needs replacing.
Good luck with the project, sorry its out of my knowledge scope....

Let me know if you figure out an easy way of taking these threaded pinion gears off without damaging the bell, as I have one that needs replacing.
Good luck with the project, sorry its out of my knowledge scope....

I would guess that they're set in place with threadlocker, which I had to use on mine to keep them from coming loose. Try torching it just a bit while holding it with pliers, and loosening it with a rag while it's still hot?

I would guess that they're set in place with threadlocker, which I had to use on mine to keep them from coming loose. Try torching it just a bit while holding it with pliers, and loosening it with a rag while it's still hot?
Thanks

And how did you screw on the new one, without damaging the teeth?

Thanks

And how did you screw on the new one, without damaging the teeth?

It assembled freely, I used threadlocker since I didn't want to torque it too hard

tread resurrection! :D

Anyways, Team Associated NTC3 clutchbell is 12.7mm / 0.5" tread

Hahaha I really didn't notice the date on this tread it's from 2 years ago, hopefully he was able to achieve what he was looking for.

I did ultimately realize my dreams of having every possible transmission ratio possible! I even went so far as to have a clutch bell custom-machined in an unavailable combination.

My main issue was that at stock, I was limited to 1 clutch bell and 2 gear sets, which didn't leave much room for customization. I found a third gear set (VRX racing is cross-compatible but has a 45/50), and a multitude of clutch bells from 13/18 to 18/23, and most of the values in between.

I ultimately found a 14/22 clutch bell, which would allow me to create a Frankenstein gearset with a nearly double ratio between first and second gear. It'd be like trying to shift from first to fourth in a manual, even if you got the engine to screaming to redline in first, it'd struggle to grab fourth.

Alas, my experience with the 13/18 clutch bell has made me understand why that is a fool's errand. That has a jump of over 50%, and the nitro engine struggles to "pick up" that much load at whatever speed it reached in first gear. The result is something that bogs down in grass, and accelerates very gradually on pavement after a short time in first. Still an interesting build, got a truck to 47mph that had previously only done 35.

That's Awesome to hear! Glad you were able to reach your main goal do you have pics of it?

That's Awesome to hear! Glad you were able to reach your main goal do you have pics of it?
Some of my hoarded clutch bells:
1000010044.jpg

The largest ratios with a 13/18 clutch & 50/45 gears:
1000006209.jpg

And the shortest, with 18/23 turning 44/39:
1000006011.jpg

That's awesome man👌 I'm currently looking for a clutchbell for my hb r10 that's why I stumbled across your thread and I think it's badass you did your own clutchbells.
What rc is that?

That's awesome man👌 I'm currently looking for a clutchbell for my hb r10 that's why I stumbled across your thread and I think it's badass you did your own clutchbells.
What rc is that?

They're both HSP's, the first is a hybrid/"truggy"-ification of the 94188-model monster truck with a .18 HB engine, the second is the onroad (94122) with a Thunder Tiger .12 engine