1 speed conversion?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coley909

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Is it possible to make a two speed tranny a 1 speed? I live in a very hilly area and it seems as though my truggy doesn't have the power to climb some hills when shifting. I thought it was as simple as adjusting it so it wouldn't shift. Lesson learned I now need a new tranny because first gear is ruined also a rock got behind the tranny and shredded 2nd so I didn't really care when I made the tranny not shift.

When I buy a new tranny what can I do to make it a 1 speed without ruining first? I love the power and tourqe I can't really go fast for long so I don't mind the speed loss I just want short bursts of power.
Sprint VH-L1

This is were I get my parts and this is the tranny.
http://www.rccarmax.com/part-vh113-two-speed-transmission-assembly-p-308.html

unless they make a conversion for it and from the looks of it I doubt they do then Id say probably not. What kit is it?

Adjusting it so it does not shift will effectivly lock out second gear and will keep it in 1st gear. Once locked in 1st all the abuse is on the 1st gear set so the chance of stripping the 1st gear spur will be more likely.
If the mesh is set correctly and your not landing jumps while on throttle or doing crazy stuff it should be fine to lock out 2nd gear.

Adjusting it so it does not shift will effectivly lock out second gear and will keep it in 1st gear. Once locked in 1st all the abuse is on the 1st gear set so the chance of stripping the 1st gear spur will be more likely.
If the mesh is set correctly and your not landing jumps while on throttle or doing crazy stuff it should be fine to lock out 2nd gear.

Correct no jumps just hills with grass and windy dirt roads. My first gear failed on me already so this is why I am asking. Could I just remove the 2nd gear?

You can remove the 2nd gear spur assembly but you will have to shim/bush the space left on the shaft to keep the 1st gear set in the correct position.

You can remove the 2nd gear spur assembly but you will have to shim/bush the space left on the shaft to keep the 1st gear set in the correct position.

I see that might be the way to go.

Like other users have said, it depends on whether someone makes a 1 speed conversion for it. Apparently there is no 1 speed conversion from looking around on google. So like the other person said you may need to take it out and just shim it..

i noticed though some transmission gears are not possible to take apart but you never know till you take it out.

Like other users have said, it depends on whether someone makes a 1 speed conversion for it. Apparently there is no 1 speed conversion from looking around on google. So like the other person said you may need to take it out and just shim it..

i noticed though some transmission gears are not possible to take apart but you never know till you take it out.

They come apart I had them apart before n my bad tranny.

Then I'm sure youll be able to get it all together and have some fun !