Stuck OS max but it's not piston

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hardesty

RCTalk Member
Reaction score
My OS max is stuck but it's not the piston I took sleeve out soaked internals in wd40 but won't break free it doesn't budge at all I am trying to turn it over with vice grips on tail shaft. It dosent have clutch bell on it and is out of vehicle locked up sitting for a few years. Help I'm a new to nitros.

Last edited:
We need more information. Can you turn the engine over at all? If you take the pull start off, does it still turn over?

We need more information. Can you turn the engine over at all? If you take the pull start off, does it still turn over?
I'm trying to turn it with vice grips on tail shaft and it doesn't budge what so ever but the inside looks good not gunked up or rusty

I'm trying to turn it with vice grips on tail shaft and it doesn't budge what so ever but the inside looks good not gunked up or rusty
Have you tried taking the engine out and checking the clutch isn't seized up? How hot were you running it and on what percentage?

Have you tried taking the engine out and checking the clutch isn't seized up? How hot were you running it and on what percentage?[/QUOTE
Sorry I should have been more specific it's out of vehicle with no clutch on it and it locked up after sitting for years it was given to me by friend and I would use it

Sorry I should have been more specific it's out of vehicle with no clutch on it and it locked up after sitting for years it was given to me by friend and I would like use it

Are you trying to turn the flywheel with pliers? If it's not the piston that's stuck you probably have a seized front bearing.

Are you trying to turn the flywheel with pliers? If it's not the piston that's stuck you probably have a seized front bearing.
I have vice grips on the tail shaft no flywheel is there any way to free the bearings I can't get crank out without being able to turn it over. And thanks for all the help

You're going to mess up the crank. Put a flywheel on it and then try to wiggle it loose. The flywheel will give you increased leverage without scratching up the crank.

You're going to mess up the crank. Put a flywheel on it and then try to wiggle it loose. The flywheel will give you increased leverage without scratching up the crank.
Tried that still stuck solid lol I'm starting to think it's never gonna free up will soaking it in wd40 help? It's been soaking for 24hr but still stuck

Tried that still stuck solid lol I'm starting to think it's never gonna free up will soaking it in wd40 help? It's been soaking for 24hr but still stuck
Some pictures would be useful, but putting some strong penetrating oil should loosen up the bearings, if they are seized up.

Heat might free it up. Try a blowtorch on the front. NOT red hot, just hot enough to expand the housing around the bearing.

Heat might free it up. Try a blowtorch on the front. NOT red hot, just hot enough to expand the housing around the bearing.
Could try that , or bake it in the oven to heat all bearings evenly.

Some pictures would be useful, but putting some strong penetrating oil should loosen up the bearings, if they are seized up.
Thank you I can probably put pics on if I can figure out how

Thank you I can probably put pics on if I can figure out how

Attachments

• IMG_20160225_125037151.jpg
    IMG_20160225_125037151.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 160
  • IMG_20160225_125020524.jpg
    IMG_20160225_125020524.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 167
Last edited:
Yeah, if penetrating oil isn't breaking it free, then heat is really only your next option. Take the engine completely apart (remove sleeve/piston/con-rod/backplate/carb) and throw it in a toaster oven up to 350F or so and let it cook for 5-10 minutes to fully heat it, then take it out while hot and tap the crankshaft on the end to drive it into the engine and out the back. Might be best to put a short screw in the end of the crankshaft so your not whacking the threads. I find something hard like a wooden hammer handle works well for stuff like this. Doesn't damage and is hard enough to not absorb a lot of the energy from the hit.

Yeah, if penetrating oil isn't breaking it free, then heat is really only your next option. Take the engine completely apart (remove sleeve/piston/con-rod/backplate/carb) and throw it in a toaster oven up to 350F or so and let it cook for 5-10 minutes to fully heat it, then take it out while hot and tap the crankshaft on the end to drive it into the engine and out the back. Might be best to put a short screw in the end of the crankshaft so your not whacking the threads. I find something hard like a wooden hammer handle works well for stuff like this. Doesn't damage and is hard enough to not absorb a lot of the energy from the hit.
Thanks for all the help. I don't think I can take piston and rod out its not at top dead center so rod won't come out of grove

Last edited:
Sorry, I didn't think of that. Still, you should be safe to heat it and tap on the crank a bit to try and break it free. I mean, right now, it's garbage. Worst you can do is make it definite garbage and throw it away.

Sorry, I didn't think of that. Still, you should be safe to heat it and tap on the crank a bit to try and break it free. I mean, right now, it's garbage. Worst you can do is make it definite garbage and throw it away.
Ok lol that's true thanks

When you tried with a flywheel on it, what did it do? Did the flywheel just spin on the crank? You would have to clean the crank, collet and flywheel really well to de-oil/degrease it before putting it on, then tightening it down really good before trying to rock the flywheel back and forth to break it loose.

When you tried with a flywheel on it, what did it do? Did the flywheel just spin on the crank? You would have to clean the crank, collet and flywheel really well to de-oil/degrease it before putting it on, then tightening it down really good before trying to rock the flywheel back and forth to break it loose.
I took flywheel off because motor was stuck and I could get better leverage with vice grips what is stuck in it?? Outer bearing?

Well, you will get better leverage and more to grip if you use channel locks on the flywheel. Vicegrips on the starter shaft or crank directly could damage them.

I'm guessing your bearings are seized. Front and/or rear are seized within themselves and the race to the crankshaft. I'm guessing heat could really help you a lot. Even without tapping it. Throw the flywheel back on, take the carb off, heat the thing up to 350F, then while hot (using an oven mitt or some such), try rocking the flywheel back and forth with channel locks.

Back