Your Crawler Course Photos

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a big brown hill blocking my view of the actual timber but a 5 minute drive and we can see it.
The farthest west I have been is Colorado. I wanted to just keep driving, but only had a week to see the sights there. Would love to have seen Idaho and Utah.

Oregon, Idaho and Utah are beautiful also. I used to live in Salt Lake City many year ago but drove thru Utah a few months ago when I went to Texas to move my son back to Idaho.
Moab Utah is absolutely stunning which is a party town from the word go. 4x4 jeep heaven with a ton of competition. The wife and I want to take all of our crawlers and head there next summer with the camper. It's only a 9 hour drive for us.

moab.jpg

Oregon, Idaho and Utah are beautiful also. I used to live in Salt Lake City many year ago but drove thru Utah a few months ago when I went to Texas to move my son back to Idaho.
Moab Utah is absolutely stunning which is a party town from the word go. 4x4 jeep heaven with a ton of competition. The wife and I want to take all of our crawlers and head there next summer with the camper. It's only a 9 hour drive for us.

View attachment 132367
OMG! Dammit, I wish I could go with you. I want that scene for a backdrop behind my crawler course!

This is actually the image I found when I started thinking about a crawler course. The colors in this is what I want to replicate.
default-back.jpg

Check out all the online model railroad supply stores. I used awesome backdrops in my train room.
Another cool thing to do and simple and cheap, go to a second hand store or yard sales and pick up a artificial Christmas tree.
I made all of my scale trees out the the limbs. Perfect for your crawler course.

Check out all the online model railroad supply stores. I used awesome backdrops in my train room.
Another cool thing to do and simple and cheap, go to a second hand store or yard sales and pick up a artificial Christmas tree.
I made all of my scale trees out the the limbs. Perfect for your crawler course.
Yeah, I will have to do that. Totally forgot about those! Thanks.

OMG! Dammit, I wish I could go with you. I want that scene for a backdrop behind my crawler course!

This is actually the image I found when I started thinking about a crawler course. The colors in this is what I want to replicate.
View attachment 132368
Seriously? That's' the same look I was thinking about going for my course, I want to see If I can make a rock bridge.

Seriously? That's' the same look I was thinking about going for my course, I want to see If I can make a rock bridge.
That would be fun to build. I love building scale scenery. Doing a rope bridge, some uneven boards for a small bridge, and probably few scale trees here and there.

Another thing I used was the foam board just like you but I used the blue board from home depot and used a heat gun to melt it into shape. So realistic looking and then just splashed, dark flat brown, flat black, white, and flat tan paint on it. With the metal stem trees it was easy to just poke them in the blue board.
I tried the foam board you are using but I found it to be really messy. The blue foam board isn't at all.
I also made trees like this but are more time consuming.

Another thing I used was the foam board just like you but I used the blue board from home depot and used a heat gun to melt it into shape. So realistic looking and then just splashed, dark flat brown, flat black, white, and flat tan paint on it. With the metal stem trees it was easy to just poke them in the blue board.
I tried the foam board you are using but I found it to be really messy. The blue foam board isn't at all.
I also made trees like this but are more time consuming.

Yeah, I have used the blue foam board before, and I really prefer it. But this stuff was cheap and easy to ship. I have a Menards just a couple miles from me, but no ride. And they charge $95 delivery. This is definitely messier, but it'll do.

Oh, and I used to make tree armatures back in the 80's. I had a bunch of them made one day while tending a yard sale and this lady came by and bought them all. I didn't want to sell them, but she persisted.

Attachments

• 20190224_081329.jpg
    20190224_081329.jpg
    683.4 KB · Views: 31
  • 20190414_083945.jpg
    20190414_083945.jpg
    729.3 KB · Views: 34
  • 20200223_102526.jpg
    20200223_102526.jpg
    776.8 KB · Views: 31
Last edited: