Wltoys 284161 1/28 scale: worth it?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glitch

RCTalk Qualifier
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Hi all!
I used a Temu credit I had to pick up the new wltoys 1/28 mini desert buggy.
I’ve been looking for a fun project and I think this is it, I plan to upgrade everything to metal (yes, I know it’s worse. Just for flashy fun and to keep it from flipping so much). And install a brushless system and metal gears. I’ve found the parts I need but not sure of quality or if they are ripping me off. Anybody have any suggestions for doing a full metal 1/28 wltoys brushless build? Thanks!

From my experience, they’re probably not quality. Just saying.

Hi all!
I’ve been looking for a fun project and I think this is it, I plan to upgrade everything to metal (yes, I know it’s worse. Just for flashy fun and to keep it from flipping so much). And install a brushless system and metal gears. I’ve found the parts I need but not sure of quality or if they are ripping me off. Anybody have any suggestions for doing a full metal 1/28 wltoys brushless build? Thanks!
Don't upgrade everything to metal some of the metal parts for those are literally just bling and the stock parts work much better.

There is a dude on Youtube that has a good series of videos on the WL Toys 1/28 platform but I cannot find it at the moment.

Hi all!
Giant waste of money IMHO, but it's your money.
I wouldn't. If you want to do small micro stuff like 1:28. I'd get a mini z.
Also a giant waste of money for what you get.

If you want a 1/24 or 1/28 setup, there are plenty of drift kits out there that are high quality well designed stuff.

If you want a 1/24 or 1/28 setup, there are plenty of drift kits out there that are high quality well designed stuff.
Any suggestions for 1/24?

In what universe is the Mini-Z platform a giant waste of money? I'll grant that 1/28 can become a giant money pit... but all of the Kyosho stuff that I've bought has been well-made, well-supported, and easy to work on.

For about $300 you can pick up a Mini-Z Readyset, a great AAA charger, good AAA rechargeable batteries, wheels, tires, tire tape, a new T-plate, and a $20 Amazon dremel to cut and flip your kingpins - and you're ready to race box stock with money left over for vending machine snacks. Hands-down, Mini-Z is the cheapest and best way to get into RC racing.

Sorry to post in a dead thread, but I can't handle hearing someone besmirch the good name of the Mini-Z!

(Bang for the buck, though? Those AE 1/28 cars are really good. You won't have much luck finding a club that races them; but for bashing in your living room, they're great fun. Dammit, now I want to keep slacking off from work and go drive mine.)

I picked up a couple WL cars. They are both small 1/28?
I have done nothing in terms of upgrades & they are both fun. They get run in the garage, in the house or in hotel rooms when traveling with the family.
They’ve taken a beating and keep on going.
It’s worth noting I got them relatively inexpensive. Definitely less than $100, but I don’t recall exactly. Maybe half that? I don’t regret the purchase. They are just for fun.

In what universe is the Mini-Z platform a giant waste of money? I'll grant that 1/28 can become a giant money pit... but all of the Kyosho stuff that I've bought has been well-made, well-supported, and easy to work on.

For about $300 you can pick up a Mini-Z Readyset, a great AAA charger, good AAA rechargeable batteries, wheels, tires, tire tape, a new T-plate, and a $20 Amazon dremel to cut and flip your kingpins - and you're ready to race box stock with money left over for vending machine snacks. Hands-down, Mini-Z is the cheapest and best way to get into RC racing.

Sorry to post in a dead thread, but I can't handle hearing someone besmirch the good name of the Mini-Z!

(Bang for the buck, though? Those AE 1/28 cars are really good. You won't have much luck finding a club that races them; but for bashing in your living room, they're great fun. Dammit, now I want to keep slacking off from work and go drive mine.)
He was saying that the wltoys ones are a waste of money

How embarrassing. Reading comprehension isn't my strong suit, apparently.

I have some 1/28 drift truck that may possibly be a wltoys and it’s ok. one of the gears stripped out and I never fixed it. The only metal stuff I would do is adjustable links to get the tires to contact the ground completely as the rear tires just contact the surface on the outer edge until you wear them way down. I ordered the parts but never finished fitting them up. Do not go brushless and find beaver hobby‘s YouTube videos, he does a lot of great things to these cars.
IMG_0089.jpeg

I just looked that car up, I don’t know about that one, do some YouTube research before you buy it. It could very well be a fun car just don’t go brushless, maybe add a heat sink to the motor somehow.

Back