WILL THIS AIR FILTER DO?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stevo747

RCTalk Member
Reaction score
Hi guys Stevo here just questions to you guys as I’m a novice at nitro rc.
I’ve been thinking of buying a performance pipercross Air filter foam and cut to size to fit the standard nitro Carnage Rc.
Now will it give the car better performance?
I’ve got these filters in my motorcycle .
And you get better performance from them but that’s a bike a nitro car is a totally different thing just stabbing in the dark really to see what you guys think? I’ve attached a photo of the foam filter.
Please let me know guys good or bad idea?
Thanks once again Best Stevo.🤟🏻🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿👍

B1F1B130-A913-4560-BB74-EC78E261697D.jpeg

Here’s my beauty cheapish as I’m a novice this will do for now intill the hobby grabs me then on to bigger gear lol 😂

Attachments

• 7F88DE3D-9E91-4B45-AD98-FF1278F3786E.jpeg
    7F88DE3D-9E91-4B45-AD98-FF1278F3786E.jpeg
    438.8 KB · Views: 31
I think the RC filters have a finer-textured foam than ones for "small engines" like a lawnmower or dirtbike. This helps them trap finer particles and have a larger internal surface area to trap those particles. The increased performance comes from reduced restriction at the intake, but that also means grit and fine particles will get though the filter more easily.

Other small engines have piston rings, which means they can afford to ingest a little bit of dust without losing compression. Nitros count on a tolerance fit between the piston and cylinder, so even a little contamination will inflict wear. Ringed nitro engines exist, but are only found in higher displacements intended for helicopter use.

The filter isn't an expensive part of a nitro engine, and it protects much more valuable components.

It's also important and worth your while to use an oil designed for air filters and apply it correctly - dab the excess out with a paper towel and then let it air-dry. Over-applied oil will restrict flow and reduce performance.

If you want to increase your nitro engine's performance, you could try a larger filter designed for nitro engines, which will have more filter material to allow air through.

Last edited:
I think the RC filters have a finer-textured foam than ones for "small engines" like a lawnmower or dirtbike. This helps them trap finer particles and have a larger internal surface area to trap those particles. The increased performance comes from reduced restriction at the intake, but that also means grit and fine particles will get though the filter more easily.

Other small engines have piston rings, which means they can afford to ingest a little bit of dust without losing compression. Nitros count on a tolerance fit between the piston and cylinder, so even a little contamination will inflict wear. Ringed nitro engines exist, but are only found in higher displacements intended for helicopter use.

The filter isn't an expensive part of a nitro engine, and it protects much more valuable components.

It's also important and worth your while to use an oil designed for air filters and apply it correctly - dab the excess out with a paper towel and then let it air-dry. Over-applied oil will restrict flow and reduce performance.

If you want to increase your nitro engine's performance, you could try a larger filter designed for nitro engines, which will have more filter material to allow air through.
Thanks for the info much appreciated I’ll be getting a nitro rc performance filter like you said as I’m a newbie to the hobby I’m just shooting in the dark thinking these things or should I say ideas would work but I’ll listen to you guys who knows much more than me. Thanks once again for the heads up! Best Stevo.
Id stick with the stock air filter or one made for rcs
I will be vod cheers mate for the info…. 👍

Back