Why does everyone not like traxxas

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a Traxxas Sledge, Slash 4x4 Ultimate, 4tec 3.0(Drift Setup) & Trx4 along with an Arrma Typhon 3s & Vendetta 3s I also have a Redcat Gen8 and Everest 10 and In My Honest Opinion its all in how you drive them and how much money you want to spend vs the style of car and body you want I Love all my Cars yea they all have theyre issues but all on all its really personal prefference I personally have had better luck with Traxxas but Arrma builds strong fast Products and Redcat is Honestly Severley Underrated imo theyre solid quality rc's for about half of what traxxas and Arrma costs the Gen 8 is a Worthy Competator to the Trx4 so when it comes down to it dont listen to the nay sayers and haters buy what interest you and what you feel would fit the style and way you want to play with them do your own research and use others reccomendations and opinions for exactly what it is a reccomendation or opinion along with your personal research more information is never a bad thing

I have a Traxxas Sledge, Slash 4x4 Ultimate, 4tec 3.0(Drift Setup) & Trx4 along with an Arrma Typhon 3s & Vendetta 3s I also have a Redcat Gen8 and Everest 10 and In My Honest Opinion its all in how you drive them and how much money you want to spend vs the style of car and body you want I Love all my Cars yea they all have theyre issues but all on all its really personal prefference I personally have had better luck with Traxxas but Arrma builds strong fast Products and Redcat is Honestly Severley Underrated imo theyre solid quality rc's for about half of what traxxas and Arrma costs the Gen 8 is a Worthy Competator to the Trx4 so when it comes down to it dont listen to the nay sayers and haters buy what interest you and what you feel would fit the style and way you want to play with them do your own research and use others reccomendations and opinions for exactly what it is a reccomendation or opinion along with your personal research more information is never a bad thing
I always buy what I like, never worry about what someone else doesn't like, unless there are valid problems with the product. Oh and Welcome aboard @mhogan2287

Last edited:
I always but what I like, never worry about what someone else doesn't like, unless there are valid problems with the product. Oh and Welcome aboard @mhogan2287
I'm the same way I reasrch anything I'm interested in exstensively before i buy it i read forums watch videos read specs reviews and whatever I can to see if it will fit my style of driving before I buy it watching videos of people doing the same type of things I like to do hold alot of weight in my decisions but I always buy on my personal prefference but take any info I can get into account 1st and Thank You glad to be here

I never liked Traxxas much when they came out. They kinda paved the way for plastic RTR RC's, and they didn't offer any kits at all. But over the years I have grown to like them. But I really hate their electronics. So much so that it has kept me from buying one or two over the years. Their servos are junk. Their batteries and chargers are overpriced proprietary garbage. And their ESC's and radio systems leave a lot to be desired. Why pay for all that junk? Now that they offer kit versions of some of their stuff, I like them a lot more.

Just my 2 cents.

I never liked Traxxas much when they came out. They kinda paved the way for plastic RTR RC's, and they didn't offer any kits at all. But over the years I have grown to like them. But I really hate their electronics. So much so that it has kept me from buying one or two over the years. Their servos are junk. Their batteries and chargers are overpriced proprietary garbage. And their ESC's and radio systems leave a lot to be desired. Why pay for all that junk? Now that they offer kit versions of some of their stuff, I like them a lot more.

Just my 2 cents.
I'm Not big on theyre electronics either 100% agree servos are trash but the Veilion Motor and Esc seem to be solid in the Sledge its completley stock as of now only had it about 2 weeks however my Trx4, 4tec 3.0, and Slash 4x4 Ultimate have no Traxxas electronics whats so ever except for the trx4s 2 speed and diff micro servos and theyre garbage other than that all upgraded aftermarket electronics but to be fair noones RTR electronics are all that impressive I Run Castle or Hobbywing In everything

The basic Traxxas radio is not good. I have seen the basic esc and servos last for a very long time.

I'm Not big on theyre electronics either 100% agree servos are trash but the Veilion Motor and Esc seem to be solid in the Sledge its completley stock as of now only had it about 2 weeks however my Trx4, 4tec 3.0, and Slash 4x4 Ultimate have no Traxxas electronics whats so ever except for the trx4s 2 speed and diff micro servos and theyre garbage other than that all upgraded aftermarket electronics but to be fair noones RTR electronics are all that impressive I Run Castle or Hobbywing In everything
Yeah, all RTR electronics are pretty garbage. Spektrum motors are pretty good, and their ESC's are better than most, but still not great. I have a Spektrum 160A ESC going in our X-Maxx build, just because I bought it from a friend. But other than that I use Castle, Tekin, or Hobbywing.

The basic Traxxas radio is not good. I have seen the basic esc and servos last for a very long time.
I've only had an issue with 1 Traxxas radio/reciver and it was caused by a leaky reciever box and ran in water before i knew it had a leaking problem

Well, I am currently helping a guy mod a TRX4, and the stock Traxxas radio doesn't have endpoint adjustments for anything but channels 1 and 2. The truck has 4 servos in it. So what kinda stupid poop is that? So the diff and shift servos just go full throw. That is a recipe for failure.

Yeah, all RTR electronics are pretty garbage. Spektrum motors are pretty good, and their ESC's are better than most, but still not great. I have a Spektrum 160A ESC going in our X-Maxx build, just because I bought it from a friend. But other than that I use Castle, Tekin, or Hobbywing.
Yea spektrum is prolly the best of the bunch in rtr cars but still leave you wanting for more now theryre 150a or higher escs are awesome a friends got the 150a in the vendetta and its crazy fast and their motors are solid but I love Castle and Hobbywing products and I've heard really good things about tekin but havnt used them personally yet
Well, I am currently helping a guy mod a TRX4, and the stock Traxxas radio doesn't have endpoint adjustments for anything but channels 1 and 2. The truck has 4 servos in it. So what kinda stupid poop is that? So the diff and shift servos just go full throw. That is a recipe for failure.
Yea i use Radio Link or Spektrum Radio systems so i can use 1 or 2 remotes for multiple cars so my experience with Tracxas Radio systems isnt super extensive i generally swap it out almost immediatley lol my 1st trx4 is the only traxxas i kept the original radio in till it gave out

I like Traxxas, but I don't understand why with their success they don't produce a better transmitter. I have had few troubles with their esc's whether it be brushed or brushless.

I've heard really good things about tekin but havnt used them personally yet
Tekin is better than any of them. But you pay for it. Our Ryft is all Tekin electronics except the shift servo and it was near $600 for all of it.

I like Traxxas, but I don't understand why with their success they don't produce a better transmitter. I have had few troubles with their esc's whether it be brushed or brushless.
Thats a really good Question

I like Traxxas, but I don't understand why with their success they don't produce a better transmitter.
Using cheap electronics is how they keep the cost down on the RTR stuff.

I think keeping the price down doesn't fly when you see all the cheap r/c cars with good basic transmitters. It may be to compensate for the cost of the better transmitters they put in some of their more expensive cars. It's very much like Tamiya not putting bearings in many of their cars when almost every cheap r/c car has bearings.

I've never had any problems with the stock Traxxas radio systems other than the time I broke the wire on the antennae for the receiver, my fault not the radio. I currently have 3 Transmitters but only use the 1 as it has the Bluetooth module. Also what other ready to run radio system out there has a 30 model memory? My Spektrum DX5C only has 10.

This old pile o crap still works just fine. I've never had any issues with range, latency or glitching. My only complaints about it is the fishing pole antenna and the need for 8 AA batteries.

20220822_150744.jpg

Last edited:
I've never had any problems with the stock Traxxas radio systems other than the time I broke the wire on the antennae for the receiver, my fault not the radio. I currently have 3 Transmitters but only use the 1 as it has the Bluetooth module. Also what other ready to run radio system out there has a 30 model memory? My Spektrum DX5C only has 10.

This old pile o crap still works just fine. I've never had any issues with range, latency or glitching. My only complaints about it is the fishing pole antenna and the need for 8 AA batteries.

View attachment 151169
The Flysky FS-GT3B holds 10 models also and it's a pretty decent transmitter and reasonably priced.

The Flysky FS-GT3B holds 10 models also and it's a pretty decent transmitter and reasonably priced.

There are quite a few aftermarket radios that have multi model memory but the TQi is the only ready to run system that I know of that does. I've had a few of the lower end Flyskys over the years, pretty decent radios. I was tempted to get a Nobile but I ended up getting a Radiolink RCG6S V2 for Christmas. So far I like it better than the DX5C other than the need for 6 batteries and the antenna. If they could get it to 4 aa and get rid of the collapsible antenna it would be even better.

I like both my Flysky and DX5C and really don't see any reason to get another one.
Two of my 24s are using the stock transmitter but my custom 24 I use the DX5C.