Gearing recommended for Traxxas Rustler 2wd

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lildevjkoch

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Hi my son just received a traxxas rustler he is 7 years old and has never used a rc car that fast. What gearing can someone recommend for me to slow it down.

If it came with the Teaxxas Radio and speed control, you can set it to a training mode, which limits the throttle to 50%.

You just put a battery in the truck, then press and hold the EZ Set button, it will blink green, then start blinking red, keep holding button until it blinks red 3 times, and release it.

Last edited:
Agreed with @9x19 , if you have the stock electronics, you can put the esc in training mode which limits the throttle to 50% from 100% (sport and race mode)

If you want even slower than that, you can do down in teeth on the pinion gear, and/or up the teeth on the spur gear.

When I started out, when I was 7, I was using a basic old slash 2wd, xl5 brushed, which was on training mode, and 7 cell nimh batteries. My gearing was stock 16/90, and I ran that same setup for 5 years until I started getting more into it. Then, I got lipos, changed the esc to sport mode, and did crazy gear ratios up until I burned up my motors. And then I went to brushless last year when I was 13/14.

Last edited:
Here’s a good guide for you to go off of. I’d recommend ~14 tooth pinion 82 tooth spur.

Bigger pinion, smaller spur = faster but less torque

Smaller pinion, bigger spur = slower but more torque.

Torque doesn’t matter too much in bashers. But that’s a good and easy guide to remember whenever your gearing your RC’s.

Have fun and don’t forget, full send it, also look out for mailboxes and trees. They really like to just jump out of nowhere 😉 also happy new year!

Back