Why do people ditch Traxxas connectors??

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jtboogie

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Seems like I am reading about more and more people ditching the traxxas connectors. Most of the people say they dont like the traxxas connectors. I see most people going to deans is there a big reason why? Are the traxxas really that bad and why? I haven't had any issues with mine at all. I am about to do a castle creations system in my mini recon and was going to throw traxxas connectors on it because my batteries for my 1/16 summit fit into the mini recon so I was just going to go that route so I could run the batteries I already have in both. So I really want to know why so many people are getting rid of the traxxas connectors before I start my new build?

Well, Deans are very good connections. they are tight and very generic ( as most people use them, so if you are with a buddy easy to borrow a battery or charger etc etc. ) Look at it like this, You have you wire going and then a random paper clip, then the wire on to the motor, not a very good conductor eh? Now look at is as if a wire goes and then gets to a nice piece of copper and then on to the motor, very good connection.

Just my opinion, I would upgrade them you may notice more power and if you go lipo/brushless it is a must

because nobody uses traxxas connectors and deans are the standard in rc, makes life a little easier

Ok, I am only into the hobby 2 years and never switched any plugs. I just got a rc10 and this is my first and only rig with deans and I do feel they are a better. They feel snug and seem like they will keep most dust and dirt and maybe a little water out of the connection. I just didn't know they could change power and speed. Sorry if this was a really super newbie question. I feel like I am being told like I asked if you put nitro or gasoline in a t maxx lol. thanks for the feed back though guys

Last edited:
I run traxxas style on both mervs. When I crash hard they always seem to get unplugged. I will be switching them out soon because I don't think that my driving skills will be getting any better.

I've done the opposite, I ditched deans and went all traxxas. As long as u follow the instructions they are way easier to solder and u dont need heat shrink. Way easier to disconnect than the deans plug. Traxxas connections transfer just as much power than a deans.

This is like asking what motor oil to run in your 1:1 ride. Ask 10 people, you'll get 9 different answers. For most of us it comes down to the fact that everything we have that is RC runs on one type of plug. Run what you feel is best for your needs, provided it can carry enough current, that's all you really have to be concerned with.

They are both valid connectors but the reason I use Deans and the reason I think that they are the more popular option is because A) They are much more common, especially considering how cheap the chinese knock offs are B) They are smaller over all which means easier to cram into tight spaces, and C) I've read that they do have a slightly lower resistance than traxxas plugs.

that being said Deans can sometimes be a little harder to get apart than traxxas plugs. I personally dont find Deans any harder or easier to solder than Traxxas (six one way, half a dozen the other). Yes you do have to use a bit of heat shrink but I have meters of the stuff so its not an issue for me personally. In the end though Id say use whatever connector blows your hair back. None of them are so much better than another that someone is gonna be like "ZOMG ZOMG ZOMG!!!! YOU RUN THAT CONNECTOR?!" lol

Just my :2cents:

Last edited:
I've used Deans before Traxxas ever came out with theirs and I'm not about to switch.

I also like the small size of the Deans so given the choice, I would go Deans.

I use the Traxxas connectors on my mERV, micro Deans connectors on my Losi micros and Deans on everything else.

so many more batteries are coming out factory installed with traxxas plugs now that it makes more sense to me to stick with em. yep as already said, to each his own, i like the traxxas plug more for as i already said, easier imo to solder and they are easier to pull apart. i always found myself pulling on the wires a lot on the deans.

but the popularity of them just stems from the fact that they have been around for a loooooong time. :)

I can't imagine any connector being easier to solder than a Deans. Never soldered a Traxxas connector though and I probably never will.

Properly soldered, you can pull the wires all day and the solder joint will not fail on a Deans. I pull the wires on mine all the time to get the connectors apart.

the bars on the traxxas plugs arent installed into the plastic part when you buy them. just a lot more room, thats all

I personally hate soldering the Traxxas plugs, and I like that the Deans are already shielded by plastic while working with them. Another thing to keep in mind is cost savings buy buying packs without a connector. A 2200mAh 2s lipo with pre-installed TRX connector is $25 cheapest place I can find it, I paid $9 each for mine, and $1 for each connector. But again, that's all personal preference, and just my opinions.

I just feel like the deans are such a more snug fit and believe it or not the "gold plating" traxxas has on the connectors that they claim provides "the best connection in r/c" has completely come off all my battery connectors as well as my summit ESC connector. Also 3 of my batteries only slide like half way onto the male connector on my ESC and after a hard landing or flip they lose connection. I am going to try out the deans and see how everything goes. Thank you EVERYONE for your opinions. I dont mean to start a argument with you guys and I am glad it hasn't gotten too ugly. I enjoy this site very much because even though there are mixed views on subjects, I always get GOOD info from both sides so it better helps to weigh out the pros and cons to make a final decision.

This isnt a topic to start an argument by any means. I had deans and switched to traxxas. I dont have the coming apart issue u guys are talking about and I've put my 2wd slash through serious wrecks. Even had the battery holder come loose and the battery come out of the truck. Put it back in and bashed on

Castle says theyre ok for the MM so they can't be but so bad lol

I think traxxas and deans are about the same, it's just the ability to solder them that makes the choice for people to decide what to use. I use traxxas as i'm rubbish at soldering deans. some people struggle with traxxas and choose deans.
Tamiya used to be the standard connector but with high amp loads of todays models they can't handle it.
heres a little read that may help.
click here
I've never had my traxxas connectors come apart either, the solder would probably snap before the plugs come unplugged.

^^^ I've actually melted tamiya connectors before thinking they'd work with a lipo. But IMO (I've seen a lot of thoose in this thread lol) deans are the way to go, the death grip the male and female have on each other are just what I need for bashing if my battery strap ever comes loose and keeping my lipo from going flying (woohoo fire) and for me their easy to solder, but if someone gave me traxxas connectors, I wouldn't mind using them.

The issue I had with my Traxxas connectors on a few of my batteries was that for some reason they would not go completely together. Like the male side would only slide half way into the female connector on the ESC connector. I would try to force them together as much as I could with still being reasonable on how much force I used. The connector would come apart normally, but it is like the flat gold piece that makes contact with each other is either crooked or not seated all the way down and is preventing the male end from connecting completely to the female end. Keep in mind these are all batteries that came with the connectors already installed. I have never tried to solder a connector on. I have soldered car electronics and other house hold electronic wires but never one of these connectors. I plan on getting a nicer set up and trying soon but right now I am just trying to figure out what the better option would be for changing all my batteries to and putting on my future builds. Like it has been said different people prefer different plugs, I understand that and just taking every ones view into consideration.

the pack i had with connectors installed used copies and couldn't fit into my esc side, kept sliding the pin out the housing. which is why i do my own now. even if they offer free connectors.

Back