Who was wrenching today??? What did you do??

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not RC related but equal importance. I had to do a fret job on one of my guitar builds.
It had terrible fret sprout so decided to do a crown a polish also.
For the guys that don't know what fret sprout is, when the weather changes with humidity, temps stuff like that, wood shrinks and expands.
The metal frets start to stick out past the edge of the fret board and its rather uncomfortable, so you have to file them down.

IMG_0656.JPG
IMG_0657.JPG
IMG_0658.JPG
IMG_0661.JPG

Not RC related but equal importance. I had to do a fret job on one of my guitar builds.
For the guys that don't know what fret sprout is, when the weather changes with humidity, temps stuff like that, wood shrinks and expands.
The metal frets start to stick out past the edge of the fret board and its rather uncomfortable, so you have to file them down.

View attachment 155606View attachment 155607View attachment 155608View attachment 155609
Beautiful piece.

View attachment 155606View attachment 155607View attachment 155608View attachment 155609
Speaking of frets... how does one deal with this?
received_677449276629494.jpeg

Speaking of frets... how does one deal with this?
View attachment 155612
Solder. 🤣😂

Interesting. Didnt know that about guitars. I knew wood swells and warps and all.

Got a new trimmer today, and took off the plastic part on the handle that pokes me everywhere. Also started the light buckets on my 10.2

No pic of it removed, but you can see it in the one below. Stihl fs/km 91r

20221114_115928_1668445327861.jpg

Fret level, crown, and polish. About $100 to $150 at least around here. I do it myself though.
I have three different radius blocks just for that purpose. I also have a fret crowning file and a set of files for the fret ends.
That is getting close to a fret job Grey.

Fret level, crown, and polish. About $100 to $150 at least around here. I do it myself though.
I have three different radius blocks just for that purpose.
That is getting close to a fret job Grey.
So probably not something I can do myself?

You can if you know the radius of the neck. I would order a radius block and necessary tools.
It's something you take your time with. It's hard to recover from a mistake.
Use a black magic marker and mark a line on top of all the frets so when you sand with the radius block, you can watch how deep you go.
Too deep and you will need a complete re-fret or new neck.
There is a ton of videos out there so I would check them out.
Stewmac has some awesome videos.

You can if you know the radius of the neck. I would order a radius block and necessary tools.
It's something you take your time with. It's hard to recover from a mistake.
Use a black magic marker and mark a line on top of all the frets so when you sand with the radius block, you can watch how deep you go.
Too deep and you will need a complete re-fret or new neck.
There is a ton of videos out there so I would check them out.
Stewmac has some awesome videos.
If that wasn't the neck to one of my more rare guitars I wouldnt think twice about doing it myself. Since it is and I've never done fret leveling before. I may go ahead and pass that off to someone else to do.

I agree, if it's a rare guitar, then find a good tech. or recommened Luthier.
My best is my MIA Fender Strat that I will never attempt it.
Honestly it won't need it done in my life time because she rarely gets played and only has about hour of playing time on her.
She is staying pristine, mint condition. She is going to my son when its my time to meet my maker.

I agree, if it's a rare guitar, then find a good tech. or recommened Luthier.
My best is my MIA Fender Strat that I will never attempt it.
Honestly it won't need it done in my life time because she rarely gets played and only has about hour of playing time on her.
She is staying pristine, mint condition. She is going to my son when its my time to meet my maker.
I would love to have s USA Strat. I used to have a Mexican Strat that was really nice. Kinda miss it.

I've never played a MIM but I want one really bad.
My buddy told me they are hit and miss. This was almost 30 years ago when I started playing. He played mine and said it was a good one. At the time, I really had no idea.

Funny how that is, my first guitar was a Lotus and to this day I wish i still owned it.
Just like you, at the time I didn't realize how good it played until I learned to play.

Funny how that is, my first guitar was a Lotus and to this day I wish i still owned it.
Just like you, at the time I didn't realize how good it played until I learned to play.
I have an old Ibanez Les Paul that plays like a dream, but it really needs to go to the shop and be worked on. I'd like to restore it one of these days for Breydon, but he needs to grow a few inches before he is even strong enough to carry it around. It weighs a ton.

We are headed out pawn shopping so who knows, maybe I will find a new toy to wrench on. Guitar, RC, Tall blonde with legs up to here?

Made a tan/creme color similar to FHP. Gonna shoot the Dodge Dart when I get home.

20221118_104212.jpg

Last night I moved my workbench in the living room part of the basement so I can watch my show. ( Good thing my mom and grandmom arent down there cause they would be mad lol) I worked on the slash, installing the lower chassis plate where all the steering is. I broke 2 of the pegs for the bellcrank. Also might have found the issue on why I keep breaking the pegs. The peg moves back and forth. I do have the aluminum bellcrank so I might go back to the plastic bellcrank to see if it helps. Or try to make the pegs stronger somehow. Tonight I will work on the new transmission and charge up batteries.