Whats wrong with my battery?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scv484

RC Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 5000mah 7.4 7cell NiMH Lectron Pro battery. Last outing it started causing the car to jerk. No other batteries had the same issue, they all ran fine. I charged it (it seemed to charge quick and got a little warmer than normal) When I put it back in it ran fine on the stand. I took it outside and it ran great for about a minute and then died. (is LVC a thing on NiMH?)

Have you checked the voltages of each cell? Sounds like one of them may have died on you.

Many esc's these days have a "lipo" and "NiMH" mode that you turn on/off to enable the LVC.

Nope,its in NIMH mode (jumpers on the ESC - Arrma Granite Mega 4x4)

Nope,its in NIMH mode (jumpers on the ESC - Arrma Granite Mega 4x4)
i know on the granite i have, when it starts getting close to batteries end, it will cut off throttle like a LVC would. doesn't seem to do it when its primarily for slower running though, it seems to taper off like i would expect a NIMH battery to die.
i agree with Olds though, if its doing it after only a minute or so and only that battery, it may be a bad cell.
7.4V though is a lipo voltage, 8.4V is a NiMH/NiCd voltage for a 7 cell.
Does the ESC get warm? are the other batteries also 7 Cell Ni battery? or are they 6 cell (7.2V) or LiPos?

My bad, they are 8.4

Kinda coming to terms with the battery being dead, like I said, sometimes when on the stand it will run great, then start to stutter then get real bad. Usually under load (on the ground) it stutters and dies.

The ESC and motor aren't hot after that and the other 8.4 NIHM runs normal times until the ESC and Motor do get hot.

Guess it's time to cash in my coupon over at common sense rc, lol

Thanks for the info everyone

My bad, they are 8.4

Kinda coming to terms with the battery being dead, like I said, sometimes when on the stand it will run great, then start to stutter then get real bad. Usually under load (on the ground) it stutters and dies.

The ESC and motor aren't hot after that and the other 8.4 NIHM runs normal times until the ESC and Motor do get hot.

Guess it's time to cash in my coupon over at common sense rc, lol

Thanks for the info everyone
main concern with battery type is sometimes they are truly mistaken by people and they get the voltage right but the battery type wrong and vice versa
i do recommend Venom Batteries if they carry them, there is a 5000 mah on amazon for around 50$ few 3000mah for 30$
I've had luck with venom anyway and they have been around for a long time, and their battery adapter system is really nice specially when your charger is still a Tamiya connector!