What's the best shock to use on my 2.5 Tmaxx

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

normrdz300

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Looking for some good shocks for my 2.5 Tmaxx classic. The stock shocks hardly hold the truck up. It came with the alum. skid plate when I got it and the truck sags. Any reccomendations on a good heavy duty shocks?
Thanks for all the help!

Looking for some good shocks for my 2.5 Tmaxx classic. The stock shocks hardly hold the truck up. It came with the alum. skid plate when I got it and the truck sags. Any reccomendations on a good heavy duty shocks?
Thanks for all the help!
Have you removed the shocks and checked the oil levels, or condition. A dump and refill with fresh shock oil might take care of the issue without the expense of 8 new shocks.

Thanks for all the help!
Whats up bud. Is this your Tmaxx or did you pick it up used? If used have to gone over the whole truck. Sounds like you just need to rebuild the shocks. The springs might be worn out or the wrong ones possibly.

Are the shocks grey with Red springs. Meaning the stock shocks.

New 40wt oil and possibly new springs. And some new
O-rings and you should be good to go.

New shocks can run upwards of $100 or more. For a set of aluminum ones.

I run the stock plastic with VG racing springs. On my Emaxx I built with no problems or issues

Whats up bud. Is this your Tmaxx or did you pick it up used? If used have to gone over the whole truck. Sounds like you just need to rebuild the shocks. The springs might be worn out or the wrong ones possibly.

Are the shocks grey with Red springs. Meaning the stock shocks.

New 40wt oil and possibly new springs. And some new
O-rings and you should be good to go.

New shocks can run upwards of $100 or more. For a set of aluminum ones.

I run the stock plastic with VG racing springs. On my Emaxx I built with no problems or issues
I picked up the Tmaxx on a trade, They are black shocks with red springs. As far as going over the truck, I am currently doing that now i.e. new steering servo, new header and pipe, I replaced the 2.5 carb with another traxxas carb I had (new) the old one was trashed spring was shot high side screw was missing etc. I pulled the engine and cleaned it inside and out and it has good compression.I am now checking linkages and I also picked up a flysky controller. I can pull the shocks and check fluids and spring wear.
Have you removed the shocks and checked the oil levels, or condition. A dump and refill with fresh shock oil might take care of the issue without the expense of 8 new shocks.
Thanks and I will..."IF" I wanted to go with new/better shocks any reccomandations on aftermarket?

I picked up the Tmaxx on a trade, They are black shocks with red springs. As far as going over the truck, I am currently doing that now i.e. new steering servo, new header and pipe, I replaced the 2.5 carb with another traxxas carb I had (new) the old one was trashed spring was shot high side screw was missing etc. I pulled the engine and cleaned it inside and out and it has good compression.I am now checking linkages and I also picked up a flysky controller. I can pull the shocks and check fluids and spring wear.

Thanks and I will..."IF" I wanted to go with new/better shocks any reccomandations on aftermarket
Any aluminum body shock really would work. Just need to messure the ones you have...there really isn't one set company that makes shocks. I use VG racing in cal for all my springs. On all my trucks

I actually found some VG springs in all my boxes of parts. pulled each shock, refilled with 30WT and added the springs, It's a whole lot better now

I actually found some VG springs in all my boxes of parts. pulled each shock, refilled with 30WT and added the springs, It's a whole lot better now
Hell yeah that's awesome bid. Glad you were able to fix the shocks...well done

Should post up some pics bud..

I was thinking of restoring my Tmaxx 2.5, i ordered all RPM A arms for it and bulk heads. Live that truck was my first nitro in 2000..

Kind of surprised traxxas never offered a set of GTR's for the t-maxx... Could probably get away with 4 of them if you can find the right springs. Then you could use the VDK pistons in them so they can land decent jumps, but still rebound quick enough to not feel sluggish.

I wonder of the rears for the stampede 4x4/slash 4x4 would be long enough... I run the GTR's on my slashpede 4x4 that I run 1/8th electronics and 4S in, so it's not overly light. I have the VDK pistons drilled out to 1/16", 80wt oil with VG springs. It does really well for me.

The GTR's are really nice shocks.

Back in my T-maxx days, I ran unlimited engineering supermaxx shocks, which were modified OFNA 1/8th buggy shocks. They were pretty good and the GTR's are built similarly.

Kind of surprised traxxas never offered a set of GTR's for the t-maxx... Could probably get away with 4 of them if you can find the right springs. Then you could use the VDK pistons in them so they can land decent jumps, but still rebound quick enough to not feel sluggish.

I wonder of the rears for the stampede 4x4/slash 4x4 would be long enough... I run the GTR's on my slashpede 4x4 that I run 1/8th electronics and 4S in, so it's not overly light. I have the VDK pistons drilled out to 1/16", 80wt oil with VG springs. It does really well for me.

The GTR's are really nice shocks.

Back in my T-maxx days, I ran unlimited engineering supermaxx shocks, which were modified OFNA 1/8th buggy shocks. They were pretty good and the GTR's are built similarly.
Holly crap. You run 80wt oil in a stampede wow. I don't even run that in my X maxx or my 1/5 90lb Raminator..

Holly crap. You run 80wt oil in a stampede wow. I don't even run that in my X maxx or my 1/5 90lb Raminator..
Well, the holes in the VDK pistons are intended for the revo and you run 30-60wt in them, but on the stampede, I would have had to run 10-20wt, which then would be more likely to leak. So after drilling them out to 1/16"... I had to go up to 80wt to get a decent feel from them.

FYI, most of arrma's run on 80wt/1000cst oil.

I just put losi or dynamite 80wt (a bit higher than 1000cst) in my xmaxx after rebuilding them. Also put a bit stiffer spring on it. Didn't get to test it out much because my main input gear/center diff gear died half way through my first set of packs... so not sure if it will be too stiff or not. Pretty sure I had 60wt in them with the stock springs. Trying to get it to bounce a bit less on the big jumps.

Just checked on traxxas site to see what the "big bore" shocks lengh was. They just show them as "xx-long". If you look at the pair of xx-long "big bore" shocks, they list all the things they fit, which include the slash/hoss/rustler, so I'm guessing the GTR xx-long would work on the tmaxx also:

Big bore xx-long: https://traxxas.com/products/parts/2662
GTR xx-long: https://traxxas.com/products/parts/7462X

You would have to figure out springs to use though... they would be larger ID than the big bore springs and you would likely need to find heavier than whatever they list as the "2.5 rate" springs that come on the big bores. The springs on the big bores are painfully soft to begin with, much like the stock springs on the ultra (plastic) shocks for the t-maxx.

Last edited:
Well, the holes in the VDK pistons are intended for the revo and you run 30-60wt in them, but on the stampede, I would have had to run 10-20wt, which then would be more likely to leak. So after drilling them out to 1/16"... I had to go up to 80wt to get a decent feel from them.

FYI, most of arrma's run on 80wt/1000cst oil.

I just put losi or dynamite 80wt (a bit higher than 1000cst) in my xmaxx after rebuilding them. Also put a bit stiffer spring on it. Didn't get to test it out much because my main input gear/center diff gear died half way through my first set of packs... so not sure if it will be too stiff or not. Pretty sure I had 60wt in them with the stock springs. Trying to get it to bounce a bit less on the big jumps.

Just checked on traxxas site to see what the "big bore" shocks lengh was. They just show them as "xx-long". If you look at the pair of xx-long "big bore" shocks, they list all the things they fit, which include the slash/hoss/rustler, so I'm guessing the GTR xx-long would work on the tmaxx also:

Big bore xx-long: https://traxxas.com/products/parts/2662
GTR xx-long: https://traxxas.com/products/parts/7462X

You would have to figure out springs to use though... they would be larger ID than the big bore springs and you would likely need to find heavier than whatever they list as the "2.5 rate" springs that come on the big bores. The springs on the big bores are painfully soft to begin with, much like the stock springs on the ultra (plastic) shocks for the t-maxx.
I wasn't saying anything bud. Was just shocked about the 80wt. In such a light truck..

Arrma runs 80wt. Because they are built out of aluminum which sucks. Very heavy trucks and buggies. For there size.

Traxxas also sucks about given out specs on any of their products. They think someone might take there ideas. Since the beginning they have been that way. Even if you call they give some crap answers like their site.

I don't run stock shocks or oil in any of my vehicles. Thats one of the first thing that gets changed..Everything stock is just to get it out the door and on shelves to sell..

I run the same in my X. Vg springs over 60wt oil. And run aftermarket shocks and 60wt oil in my Kr8. Seems to be a pretty decent set up. For how I drive and jump. Little slap and bounce back in the bigger jumps...
I wasn't saying anything bud. Was just shocked about the 80wt. In such a light truck..

Arrma runs 80wt. Because they are built out of aluminum which sucks. Very heavy trucks and buggies. For there size.

Traxxas also sucks about given out specs on any of their products. They think someone might take there ideas. Since the beginning they have been that way. Even if you call they give some crap answers like their site.

I don't run stock shocks or oil in any of my vehicles. Thats one of the first thing that gets changed..Everything stock is just to get it out the door and on shelves to sell..

I run the same in my X. Vg springs over 60wt oil. And run aftermarket shocks and 60wt oil in my Kr8. Seems to be a pretty decent set up. For how I drive and jump. Little slap and bounce back in the bigger jumps...
I totally respect your judgment and advice. I wasn't questioning you sir... 👍👍👍