What Tires do you use on your losi mini cars?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DavidB1126

Team Bomb Pop
Supporter
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
  3. Crawling
  4. Scale Builder
I still have the stock tires/wheels on my minib. The stock tires looks like a dirt type of tire so I'm planning to keep that set for inside my house. I'm looking at a street tire set for outside and a carpet tire set for my local hobby shop track. These are the street tires I had been looking at: JConcepts Mini-B/Mini-T 2.0 Ellipse Pre-Mounted And here are the carpet tire set I had been looking at: Pro-Line Mini-B Rear Pre-Mounted Prism Carpet Tire. I know the hobby shop as a little section for mini b tires so next time I go there I'm going to see what they have.

Please let us know how went with your tire selection I'm after some street tires too

Been a while on this thread. I had been using the stock tires which are like slicks right now. Once I get the mini running I will see how the Jconcepts Ellipse tires are on the street. Also with the Jconcepts tires they are more of a clay tire meant for high grip surfaces so I might save those tires for my LHS clay track.

I’ve been looking at tires and wheels too and I’m just not sure I know I want something that has a bit more grip

Apologies for posting in an old thread, but I know that @DavidB1126 will have the answers I'm looking for, so here goes:
  • What are the dimensions (width and height) of the Mini B front and rear tires?
  • What is the stroke length of the suspension front and rear, and what is the length from bolt-hole to bolt-hole?
  • Does the suspension mount to the arms and shock towers with a standard M3 screw, or does it use a smaller screw?

Apologies for posting in an old thread, but I know that @DavidB1126 will have the answers I'm looking for, so here goes:
  • What are the dimensions (width and height) of the Mini B front and rear tires?
  • What is the stroke length of the suspension front and rear, and what is the length from bolt-hole to bolt-hole?
  • Does the suspension mount to the arms and shock towers with a standard M3 screw, or does it use a smaller screw?
Don't got a digital caliper so going to eye it off my ruler.
Will get those measurements tomorrow after school. Gotta dig through my pit bag for my car.

For that screw, probably smaller than M3. I don't know the exact sizes, but I use the screws from the Losi Screw kits they offer, and RC Screwz Stainless kit.

Losi Screw 1: https://www.amainhobbies.com/losi-minit-2.0-button-head-screw-set-los216003/p1144672
Losi Screw 2: https://www.amainhobbies.com/losi-minit-2.0-flat-head-screw-set-los216004/p1144673
RC Screwz Kit: https://www.amainhobbies.com/rc-scr...-stainless-steel-screw-kit-rczlos113/p1197581

One thing that I could tell you is that the motor screws to hook the motor to the motor mount is 2 M2.5 screws, which Losi and RC Screwz does not offer in their kits, so I had a great time finding that one screw (because it backed out, and got lost on the track)

Back on the OG thread, coming back here,
Since I mainly race my Mini B on carpet, I been using ProLine Prism Rears and Wedges front and have been pretty good for me. Some other combos I seen other people use are the Prism rear and stock front, and Prism rear and Swagger (From JConcepts) front.

Still haven't used my Ellipse's yet, but I gave them to my friend to use one night for racing. Clay bar tire, with some SXT 3.0 tire compound, on carpet, it was good for 3 minutes of the race, and then traction was a problem. (Either too little, or too much at times)

Overall, I think I'm gonna keep the Minis for carpet racing only. Bashing them outside is too rough on these cars, and same for bigger clay tracks. I did ran my Mini B 2 years ago at Beach RC when it was all stock (RTR brushed), and that did pretty good.

For reference, I mainly use this site for exploded views of the car if needed. They are also in the manual too:
Manual: https://www.losi.com/on/demandware....ult/dw576bf004/Manuals/LOS01016-Manual-DE.pdf
Site: (Also interactive so it will direct you to the Losi OEM part number) : https://www.astramodel.cz/en/eview/los01016_mini-b/front.html

Wow man, I really appreciate the detailed writeup. I don't have any immediate plans, but I'm kicking around some ideas for setting a Mini-B up to be really effective on carpet. If my club starts doing mini racing again, it's going to be an "open class", which means that I can build the car however I like and experiment with whatever mad-science fever-dreams I can conjure from the void - so the sanity-check is really helpful.

Wow man, I really appreciate the detailed writeup. I don't have any immediate plans, but I'm kicking around some ideas for setting a Mini-B up to be really effective on carpet. If my club starts doing mini racing again, it's going to be an "open class", which means that I can build the car however I like and experiment with whatever mad-science fever-dreams I can conjure from the void - so the sanity-check is really helpful.
Yea my local track does a open class too. Mini isn't that popular, we have about 5 drivers that come out every night, might have some extras come out once in a while.
With us, most of us run open / mod brushless. But its an open class so its basically whatever. You just have to have a Mini B. If we have Mini Ts, we might mix them in with the Bs. But B is more better than T because, Buggy, longer wheelbase, lower to the ground, and performs better overall. I seen 1 Mini T at our track, brushless converted, he just couldn't keep the power down, car was doing wheelies and backflips. Might suggest him for a new radio and some throttle expo, or be careful on the trigger. (I'm hard on mine, because I'm a teen, and I got the need for speed 😁🤪)

(estimate measurements)
Front Width: .7 in
Front Height: 2in

Rear Width: 1.2in
Rear Height: 2in

Front shocks bolt (arm) to bolt (tower): 2in
Rear shocks bolt (arm) to bolt (tower): 2.5in
(bolt hole to bolt hole depends on which shock locations you have. For me I have the most outer to the wheel on the arm, and the most outer one on the shock tower, which I am using a amazon Carbon Fiber rear tower.)

The stroke of the shocks, have no idea. Need a caliper to measure that.

Thank you so much for coming through on this, @DavidB1126 🙏🏼 Appreciate it man!!

This just might end in a build thread sometime this winter 😇

Back