what lead

• Thread starter chevy_big_block_bro
  • Start date

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chevy_big_block_bro

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I have just aquired a subaru WRX with a FS-12 glow engine in it.
Do they have spark plug leads.
If so where do they plug in to.
IMGP1083.jpg

Yup, you put it on the glow plug, Pull until she starts, then remove the glow ignitor. Gotta make sure that the plug is good and the ignitor is fully charged though. Good luck man.

4u2nv said:
Yup, you put it on the glow plug, Pull until she starts, then remove the glow ignitor. Gotta make sure that the plug is good and the ignitor is fully charged though. Good luck man.

:OMG: Thats how they work?!?!?!?!?! Hot damn, now I got it. beason told me to just pull it to start the mill. I've been pulling for damn months now. Finally. :jk:

I just read about the nitro mix reacting with the platnum in the glow plug creating combustion

It came with this.

Has a few settings-
current adjust 1amp 2amp 4 amp

I do know that i need to hook to 12V battery.

I'm going to take it to a model shop and get him to get it going.
As far as i know it hasnt done too much work

IMGP1084.jpg

BTW: you might want to put an air filter on that.

Id just go with a portable rechargeable glow ignitor. That doesn't look like fun to carry around. There was one for sale in the for sale section for $5 that took a normal D battery. Thatd be your best route.

And yeah get a air filter for sure.

bustedgears said:
BTW: you might want to put an air filter on that.
Yea, I've got it here.

https://www.rcnitrotalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7217
first off read thru this ,sounds to me like you have never ran a nitro before so please read thru this link and then ask questions ,we will be glad to help you but as been said many many times search is your friend
search and if you can not find what your looking for then ask away

but first and foremost read the beginners link

As you've got it, you can use the 12v glow charger. (if you've got a handy 12v battery?)
- But i personaly perfer a decent pocket glow stick with a recharable sub-C battery. (prefrably a nice high capacity one, like a 3000mAh NiMH)

Daniel

chevy_big_block_bro said:
It came with this.

Wow man that's the oldest glow starter I've seen in a while! You're probably better off getting one like this as everyone's saying. The long version is good to have if you ever step up to a big-block engine at any point.

As you've probably figured out, this is why they call them "glow engines" - once the combustion begins, the interaction between the fuel and plug keeps it glowing hot enough to continue combustion. There's actually a fairly narrow band of conditions for this, and requires the correct fuel mixture, a good plug, and compression, search forum for "tuning."

Also some other great searches you may want to do are:

compression - if this engine is old, and run without a filter (see above, very important) you may have lost compression, this will reveal many threads on how to determine if your compression is still good

temperature - many discussions on how to check and how important it is, or is not

tuning, how to tune - Did I say this already? :D Slight mistuning will give you all sorts of troubles, beginning with "can't start" (another good search)

servo - and why that SP-148 is not the best one for you

prime, priming - beginners tend to overprime their engines and IMHO is the most common reason for start problems

Last thing, also common - never try to start the engine wthout ALL ELECTRONICS ON. If you do, it may take off on you, always insure tyou have a signal going to the vehicle - and it's receiving it. :D

I wouldnt suggest the tower ones. I just sent them mine back after it burnt up, split open and burned a nice spot in my pit box. (they sent me a "hot Shot" and thats ALOT better.) But yeah, definatly get a rechargeable or even the one I posted the link for will do the job.

rocknbil said:
servo - and why that SP-148 is not the best one for you
I've done a search and can't figure out what SP-148 is, Would it happen to be the little box that controls throttle position.

That's the first I've ever seen of an ignitor like that, that old. I've got a glow panel made by XTM thats' like that, in a rat-shack project box taped to the side of a gel cell. Makes the local PD itchy when they see it.

Yea, well it doesn't heat up at all.
How hot should it get (too hot to touch or slightly hot)
Will a low temp soldering iron heat it up for now, i have a few plugs if i kill one.
I just want it going NOW

If you take out the plug, the element in it should glow when applied to the ignitor. If you have a voltmeter, check to see if it is putting out 1.2~1.5 volts. If not, you have a bad ignitor. If so, you've got a bad plug. Either way, I'd recommend getting a new plug and a rechargable glow stick. You'll be glad ya did.

ok, i got it.
Its the electrical current that ingites it.
I've got that little transformer and ingiter and i thought to hook it up to 12V.
Not car 12 volts as it has way too many amps and fried both my plugs.
Now I'm back to square 1.
What sort of plug do i need got the FS 12 engine in 25-30deg C temps

Are you sure that's a Kyosho and not a Tamiya? Everything I've googled on the FS 12 comes up Tamiya. In any event, a McCoy MC59 would probably be a good plug to try in the engine. They're good and cheap, and readily availlable. If you have a hobby shop nearby, you might want to take a dead plug in with you, and size the length of the plug against the plugs that they'll have in stock, as there are two different lengths of plugs.

If that ignitor pops your plugs, I would say nows' a good time to chuck it in the landfill. You can get a good ignitor for cheap. You might want to check the ForSale area and see if any members have one posted.

4u2nv said:
I wouldnt suggest the tower ones.
<shrug> it was a pictoral example, but they're just like everything else, you get turkeys now and then. I have one here that's over 2 years old. :D

chevy you really need to listen to these guys, that old glow starter is gong to be nothing but trouble. :D

chevy_big_block_bro said:
I've done a search and can't figure out what SP-148 is, Would it happen to be the little box that controls throttle position.

Doh sorry. :D Yes look at your pic, that box is a Futaba SP-148 servo, a stock standard. It's got a low torque and slower speed, you want the fastest and best servo you can get on your throttle control. Perhaps best not to think about it now, you have other issues to learn about.

What sort of plug do i need got the FS 12 engine in 25-30deg C temps

Plug temperature has nothing to do with ambient temperature or the temperature of the engine (at least not directly.) The three things required are fuel mix, compression, and the glow. A hotter plug will advance the ignition timing point, colder ones will retard it. That being said, go with a medium range plug to start, like and OS 8 or a McCoy MC-59, which is actually a "hot" plug but works for a wider range of nitro fuel.

Back