What is your favorite RC monster truck of all time?!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And the traxxas electronics suck. Always have. Another reason why pep are crying. Because they went to LHS and said I would like to get something to kill time. And saw the Xmaxx and went WOW. I will take it. Then took it home charged the crap batteries thatthey come with in the RTR version. And never checked gears or anything else in fact. Changed it to the 46T and went out to a field and pinned to throttle. And there goes the pinon the spur. Because they set them way too tight at factory. And burnt up their esc because it can't handle the constant power of full throttle. When the HLS should have started the. Out on a 10th scale or smaller for the first time.
I agree with that their electronics suck. I just bought a brand new 4tec chassis and the esc was blown from the factory. The quality control sucks. First thing I do with any traxxas from the box is check everything. I've also seen many shops sell someone something they just had no clue about. Usually in the way of a kit when they have never built one or an over sized and over priced x maxx that they just weren't prepared for

I agree with that their electronics suck. I just bought a brand new 4tec chassis and the esc was blown from the factory. The quality control sucks. First thing I do with any traxxas from the box is check everything. I've also seen many shops sell someone something they just had no clue about. Usually in the way of a kit when they have never built one or an over sized and over priced x maxx that they just weren't prepared for
Oh yeah 100% agree with that sir. The quality control definitely blows at traxxas. When I got my X the truck wouldn't even roll. When I dropped it down out of the Box. And made a horrible sound. And then I tore it apart. Before I even drove it. But like you said they don't know any better. Or have a clue 🤔 about care, mantinance, or how it should sound. They just know it looks cool and hobby shop said to charge the batteries and your good to go with this one. And they are back a week later being sold more parts. To fix the problem.

I dont really have a fav. because I never owned or ran a lot of them ,as some may have been
better than others!
But did like my AE. MGT's ,the down fall was the lower hinge pin went through the
diff case an tend to snap in that area on brutal bashing!

My favourite truck is the Kraton 8s. Before I bought it I considered the X Maxx, but the X Maxx is so unstable. Watch any YouTube we’re there is a comparison with the Kraton 8s and the X Maxx. The X Maxx is always of its wheels. I know it has a self righting button, even the manufacturers knew they had to have a self righting system. I have the EXB roller which I have installed 12s. A Castle 800kv motor and a ZTW Beast ESC. Which after about 30 runs is still going strong. The Kraton only starts to become unstable at about 70mph on grass. I’m still working on the aerodynamics. I have the rear shocks high with the front low. But at top speed the front is trying to raise. Could really do with some sort of wing at the front to keep it down.
I have a K8 also and it is a great truck but comparing it to an Xmaxx is apples and oranges. The K8 is a Truggy and the Xmaxx is a Monster Truck. Plus the Xmaxx is stronger out of the box. K8 has better stock electronics I think though.
Good lord buddy that is alot of extra parts. But I must say my favorite kit has got to be the "LAWNTOY 2.4". I just have to figure out how to put the kit together. LMAO 🤣🙃😅😂
LOL, yeah back in the 2013-2014 era when after market parts were getting harder and harder to find I started buying up everythign I could get my hands on. Especially the parts I knew Id have to have eventually like Lunsford turnbuckles, Aluminum front C-hubs, Aluminum shock towers. All the parts I knew break consistently.

I actually have one of those draws the same size full of Savage X SS parts. I've had it about as long as I've had the Losi MTs and I still havent even built the Savage lol. One of these days and I'm gonna convert it to electric. :)

I have a K8 also and it is a great truck but comparing it to an Xmaxx is apples and oranges. The K8 is a Truggy and the Xmaxx is a Monster Truck. Plus the Xmaxx is stronger out of the box. K8 has better stock electronics I think though.

LOL, yeah back in the 2013-2014 era when after market parts were getting harder and harder to find I started buying up everythign I could get my hands on. Especially the parts I knew Id have to have eventually like Lunsford turnbuckles, Aluminum front C-hubs, Aluminum shock towers. All the parts I knew break consistently.

I actually have one of those draws the same size full of Savage X SS parts. I've had it about as long as I've had the Losi MTs and I still havent even built the Savage lol. One of these days and I'm gonna convert it to electric. :)
Nice I'm always buying parts weather I need them now or for when something breaks. Because like you said there's always that part you know your going to break

Xmaxx 👑
20210519_184420-01.jpeg

As I look around any kit I would be interested in has gone from out of stock to discontinued.
Horizon shows the version 2 F0-XX with better steering and the Mad crusher gone.
USA-1, okay but the body looks fragile. I could make a new one.

I don't really have any monster trucks, (Except a HBX Rampage) but maybe my Quantum Flux (Stadium Truck) counts? I really like it, just wish a little more thought was put into it's drivetrain.

Oh, I read something about the stability of the Xmaxx, just wanted to say the Kraton would probably be better for racing but the Xmaxx almost feels like a real truck in terms of handling and is probably more fun for people who just enjoy a good bash.

Very nice sir 👌
Pretty Trucks :D

I've owned a lot of kits over the past 12-14 years. My very first RC (if you dont include the Tamiya Frog I had when I was like 10) was an LST2. I ended up converting my LST2 to electric and I bought a XXL to keep as my nitro version. These are still my 2 favorite kits I've ever owned. I have so many hop ups and extra stock parts that I built a complete (minues engine) stock XXL and sold it and I still have all this stuff left.

View attachment 128852
View attachment 128855
View attachment 128853
View attachment 128854

This is a 3ft x 7ft long table
View attachment 128856View attachment 128857
View attachment 128858View attachment 128859View attachment 128860View attachment 128861
Dam man. You need to start a online RC parts store 🤣🤣🤣

I have a number of monster trucks and I love 'em all, but one truck that I'm particularly fond of, is my Duratrax Warhead Evo. Ironically, this thing came with a well known engine issue, and sure enough, it didn't last too long for me.
It's been in storage for well over a decade, and one of these days I plan to resurrect it, and do a brushless conversion.
Of course, I also have a 10 year old, brand new Mega Baja that had never even been started up! I'll get to that some day as well 😆 So many toys, so little time!
war4.png

0V-LOSB0013_lg.jpg

Let me know if you ever want to sell that Mega Baja ^_^

Boy, this is a hard question. I currently have five, and I love them all, though one of them is a 1/16 customized nitro that isn't of much use other then goofing off.

I started out with a TMaxx in 2008, and it was my re-introduction to RC after about 10 years of inactivity. I probably bought every hop up part you could before it even saw the dirt, lol. I joined a local club and there were lots of IS MT track racing in those days, so I really had a great opportunity to race and learn from people. It was my first nitro machine, and in those days everyone was running nitro. I had the TRX2.5 engine, which I promptly tore apart and started tinkering with. My truck was pretty heavy and didn't have a lot of power, but it handled great, and had nice balance for jumping with soft landings. I didn't bash much, just raced on tracks and stuff, so it took some abuse, but aside from the wheelie bar and bumpers, nothing much ever bent on it.

This was the truck in 2008:
jh16486.jpg

I had so much fun with that little truck! Then it sat for a few years after I got divorced and remarried, and collected dust. My second wife would ask me if I was ever going to run it again, she said the little truck looked sad just sitting there, so I dusted it off, got it running, and did some more upgrades.

This is the truck now:
121709492_10219497470570872_5888941438041891655_n.jpg

It's main changes were the new shoes, and powerplant(Dynamite .19). I changed the stance a bit for more suspension travel. I still love driving this truck at high speeds around tracks, it is so much faster than it was. For pure driving enjoyment, it's really my favorite. But, I have to say there are things about TMaxx's I dislike, especially how difficult it is replacing some basic parts where you need to rip the entire suspension apart, but fortunately I've not needed that on this particular truck(my other TMaxx using mostly stock parts is another story). I also despise the pillow ball style steering knuckles. It's just a terrible design, IMO.

I knew at some point I was going to start building and racing solid axle trucks, but I was unsettled on the platform. I really wanted to do nitro(and I contemplated converting SMT10's, Ground Pounders, etc). I initially was lured to XTM X-Factor trucks, but being no longer in production, and lack of hop up parts was a turn off(later I would realize that you don't need much in the way of "official" hop ups for solid axle trucks). There's a lot to like about those machines, and I'll still probably get one some day. Eventually though, the Mad Crusher came out, and I really liked the look of that chassis, especially the 5-link suspension. IMO the truck still has some design issues, like the horrible steering bracket that clamps onto the axle(it's weak, flexible, and just why??). So I snagged one, and right away, much like in 2008 started replacing and reconfiguring things before it ever saw the dirt. I found working on this truck vastly easier than the TMaxx, and while there was some trial and error with customization, the fact that I could do so many custom changes was a huge plus for me. I suppose that is true of most solid axle trucks.

My Dragonoid Fire truck is a blast to drive, even around a track, though it's really meant for quickness and smaller jumps ala Monster Jam or Penda style racing. It's a bit overpowered, (was) a bit finicky and kept breaking stuff, but over time it's become pretty durable and reliable. Just for the pure customization level, engineering, and that it's easy and fun to work on, I have to say my Dragonoid Fire is my favorite all time truck (for now).

20210801_125846.jpg

Back