What is your favorite RC monster truck of all time?!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've owned a lot of kits over the past 12-14 years. My very first RC (if you dont include the Tamiya Frog I had when I was like 10) was an LST2. I ended up converting my LST2 to electric and I bought a XXL to keep as my nitro version. These are still my 2 favorite kits I've ever owned. I have so many hop ups and extra stock parts that I built a complete (minues engine) stock XXL and sold it and I still have all this stuff left.

View attachment 128852
View attachment 128855
View attachment 128853
View attachment 128854

This is a 3ft x 7ft long table
View attachment 128856View attachment 128857
View attachment 128858View attachment 128859View attachment 128860View attachment 128861I agree the Losi is brilliant I own a savage x4.6 and REVO 3.3 but my baby of them all is my kyosho inferno racespec

Haha
I doubt it, but, if I change my mind, you're first in line 😉
I have 3 of those Mega Baja Bodies although one of them was one that someone had painted, didnt like the way it turned out and gacve it to me. I stripped the paint off of it as best I could but I've never tried to repaint it so I have no idea how it will turn out once I try. That will be a practice body. You can't find those bodies anymore.

I have a number of monster trucks and I love 'em all, but one truck that I'm particularly fond of, is my Duratrax Warhead Evo. Ironically, this thing came with a well known engine issue, and sure enough, it didn't last too long for me.
It's been in storage for well over a decade, and one of these days I plan to resurrect it, and do a brushless conversion.
Of course, I also have a 10 year old, brand new Mega Baja that had never even been started up! I'll get to that some day as well 😆 So many toys, so little time!
View attachment 130527
View attachment 130528

Dude that mega is awesome with the old buggie body. And the warhead is sweet. Got some huge 😲
Boy, this is a hard question. I currently have five, and I love them all, though one of them is a 1/16 customized nitro that isn't of much use other then goofing off.

I started out with a TMaxx in 2008, and it was my re-introduction to RC after about 10 years of inactivity. I probably bought every hop up part you could before it even saw the dirt, lol. I joined a local club and there were lots of IS MT track racing in those days, so I really had a great opportunity to race and learn from people. It was my first nitro machine, and in those days everyone was running nitro. I had the TRX2.5 engine, which I promptly tore apart and started tinkering with. My truck was pretty heavy and didn't have a lot of power, but it handled great, and had nice balance for jumping with soft landings. I didn't bash much, just raced on tracks and stuff, so it took some abuse, but aside from the wheelie bar and bumpers, nothing much ever bent on it.

This was the truck in 2008:
View attachment 130529

I had so much fun with that little truck! Then it sat for a few years after I got divorced and remarried, and collected dust. My second wife would ask me if I was ever going to run it again, she said the little truck looked sad just sitting there, so I dusted it off, got it running, and did some more upgrades.

This is the truck now:
View attachment 130530

It's main changes were the new shoes, and powerplant(Dynamite .19). I changed the stance a bit for more suspension travel. I still love driving this truck at high speeds around tracks, it is so much faster than it was. For pure driving enjoyment, it's really my favorite. But, I have to say there are things about TMaxx's I dislike, especially how difficult it is replacing some basic parts where you need to rip the entire suspension apart, but fortunately I've not needed that on this particular truck(my other TMaxx using mostly stock parts is another story). I also despise the pillow ball style steering knuckles. It's just a terrible design, IMO.

I knew at some point I was going to start building and racing solid axle trucks, but I was unsettled on the platform. I really wanted to do nitro(and I contemplated converting SMT10's, Ground Pounders, etc). I initially was lured to XTM X-Factor trucks, but being no longer in production, and lack of hop up parts was a turn off(later I would realize that you don't need much in the way of "official" hop ups for solid axle trucks). There's a lot to like about those machines, and I'll still probably get one some day. Eventually though, the Mad Crusher came out, and I really liked the look of that chassis, especially the 5-link suspension. IMO the truck still has some design issues, like the horrible steering bracket that clamps onto the axle(it's weak, flexible, and just why??). So I snagged one, and right away, much like in 2008 started replacing and reconfiguring things before it ever saw the dirt. I found working on this truck vastly easier than the TMaxx, and while there was some trial and error with customization, the fact that I could do so many custom changes was a huge plus for me. I suppose that is true of most solid axle trucks.

My Dragonoid Fire truck is a blast to drive, even around a track, though it's really meant for quickness and smaller jumps ala Monster Jam or Penda style racing. It's a bit overpowered, (was) a bit finicky and kept breaking stuff, but over time it's become pretty durable and reliable. Just for the pure customization level, engineering, and that it's easy and fun to work on, I have to say my Dragonoid Fire is my favorite all time truck (for now).

View attachment 130533
That's a nice looking MT racing Tmax. And the Dragonoid Fire truck is sweet love those solid axles and links. Well done man👍👍

My favorite by far is the Arrma Kraton 8s. This thing has been through hell and back. Right now the chassis is bent. I think that's causing the avs to do funky things. I have the upgraded 7075 aluminum chassis but need to find the time to put it in.

20210812_234845.jpg
20210812_234922.jpg
20210812_234929.jpg

My favorite by far is the Arrma Kraton 8s. This thing has been through hell and back. Right now the chassis is bent. I think that's causing the avs to do funky things. I have the upgraded 7075 aluminum chassis but need to find the time to put it in.

View attachment 130818View attachment 130819View attachment 130820
Nice man.. everyone has the same problem... what were you doing when it bent?? Sending it?? that's a reason why I'm Hesitant to get it... I want it really bad..But not a big fan of the aluminum parts.. that's another reason I got the X 8s... that truck takes a beating and keeps going for more 🤣🤣🤣

Nice man.. everyone has the same problem... what were you doing when it bent?? Sending it?? that's a reason why I'm Hesitant to get it... I want it really bad..But not a big fan of the aluminum parts.. that's another reason I got the X 8s... that truck takes a beating and keeps going for more 🤣🤣🤣
Brought it to the skate park. Got easily 20+ feet jumps from it. Bent dang near everything. All four shock rods, one of the center supports, and the chassis.
It was a blast though!

Brought it to the skate park. Got easily 20+ feet jumps from it. Bent dang near everything. All four shock rods, one of the center supports, and the chassis.
It was a blast though!
Did you bend your rear tierods? That was a big problem I had. I believe i have it sorted now tho. Theres a few different companies out there that make nice 7075 chassis and chassis braces. I've not bent shock shafts yet tho

It was a blast though!
Oh man that would definitely do it.. but like you said it was a blast to do.. lol. Good show well done sir🤪😜👍👍👍
Did you bend your rear tierods? That was a big problem I had. I believe i have it sorted now tho. Theres a few different companies out there that make nice 7075 chassis and chassis braces. I've not bent shock shafts yet tho
Well right now 20' and bent shocks and chassis is the record..... so when you go for the record.. we can see how much is bent on your Kra8. LOL 🤣🤣🤣🤣 I want to take the X to a skate park so bad.. but got to buy parts first.. because I know she will fly high LOL.. I don't think any RC really walks away on touched or bent... bashing a skate park....

No tire rods bent. My buddy has on his with just little jumps.

No tire rods bent. My buddy has on his with just little jumps.. that's horrible that they bent on little jumps..
That's horrible from just little jumps wow.. need to get the titanium rods for the Kra8.. or you can ask greywolf which ones he got for his.. think he found some good strong rods for the Kra..👍👍

That's horrible from just little jumps wow.. need to get the titanium rods for the Kra8.. or you can ask greywolf which ones he got for his.. think he found some good strong rods for the Kra..👍👍
It's weird, I bash mine a lot harder than he does. He breaks something every time

It's weird, I bash mine a lot harder than he does. He breaks something every time
That is very weird🤔🤔 could be the parts he uses.. The way he drives or the way he lands.. I used to break 💩 all the time.. these days not so much..

No idea how I missed this thread until now. I have always loved monster trucks. My very first RC was the Marui Big Bear.
Box.jpg

I worked in my dad's woodshop and save up my money and bought it when I was 13. The first release of these had a problem with a very soft spur gear though. About 10 minutes run time and the gear was toast. I bought 3 more gears from Marui, all of which lasted about 10 minutes. I was so bummed.

Fast forward 36 years and I found a 1/16 scale New Bright Grave Digger on eBay for sale for $10. I bought it because I was currently into the cheap WPL crawlers. Mostly because I loved a challenge (every aftermarket part you can buy for these is garbage). So I put my computer to work and designed a whole new chassis for it along with an electronics tray to put everything up front. The New Bright tires are perfectly 1/16 scale, and are a bit firm, but they are great. The wheels of course were garbage, so I printed some new ones.
FB_IMG_1620001709558.jpg

The problem is nothing available for WPL trucks as far as the gearbox/motor setup would get it up to speed. I finally found an all metal 2 speed gearbox and motor that would, but it constantly tried to melt the truck by catching fire. So I printed a new chassis and shoved it in a box. Saved for another day.

A Monster truck isn't a monster truck without solid axles in my opinion. All the so called monster trucks out today with the double wishbone suspension are just buggies with big tires and tuned gearing/motors. That's not to say I don't love them. But they are marketed under an improper category in the RC world. So that is why I am really hoping to grab a Losi MT some day. Or the USA-1 if it ever gets released.

Last edited:
No idea how I missed this thread until now. I have always loved monster trucks. My very first RC was the Marui Big Bear.
View attachment 130888

I worked in my dad's woodshop and save up my money and bought it when I was 13. The first release of these had a problem with a very soft spur gear though. About 10 minutes run time and the gear was toast. I bought 3 more gears from Marui, all of which lasted about 10 minutes. I was so bummed.

Fast forward 36 years and I found a 1/16 scale New Bright Grave Digger on eBay for sale for $10. I bought it because I was currently into the cheap WPL crawlers. Mostly because I loved a challenge (every aftermarket part you can buy for these is garbage). So I put my computer to work and designed a whole new chassis for it along with an electronics tray to put everything up front. The New Bright tires are perfectly 1/16 scale, and are a bit firm, but they are great. The wheels of course were garbage, so I printed some new ones.
View attachment 130890

The problem is nothing available for WPL trucks as far as the gearbox/motor setup would get it up to speed. I finally found an all metal 2 speed gearbox and motor that would, but it constantly tried to melt the truck by catching fire. So I printed a new chassis and shoved it in a box. Saved for another day.

A Monster truck isn't a monster truck without solid axles in my opinion. All the so called monster trucks out today with the double wishbone suspension are just buggies with big tires and tined gearing/motors. That's not to say I don't love them. But they are marketed under an improper category in the RC world. So that is why I am really hoping to grab a Losi MT some day. Or the USA-1 if it ever gets released.
Love the Big Bear. I remember seeing that in stores when I was a kid

Love the Big Bear. I remember seeing that in stores when I was a kid
It was a super thrill to hear those big tires shredding the dirt every time I ran it. I loved that truck. If I could buy an unmolested V2 with the better spur gear, I would buy it and it would probably be my favorite in my collection. It's a real biyatch. It never performs when you want it to. It will break your heart over and over. But you just never get over your first love.

Look HERE LOL

Last edited:
My favorite RC Monster Truck of all time?! Kyosho Tracker kit. 1/10scale electric with a mechanical speed control (MSC). 2WD/RWD. Second RC I ever owned. Bought and built when I was posted to Korea for two years. Here she is newly built back 1999. Stickered before she even got painted. Sitting atop the RC hill climb track I hacked out of the underbrush behind our quarters.

Attachments

• IMG_20200713_0003_Korea RC Tracker (2).jpg
    IMG_20200713_0003_Korea RC Tracker (2).jpg
    146.9 KB · Views: 39
Back