What battery charger do you recommend?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use a venom duo pro. At 130 its been great to charge nicd nimh and lipos all at once. I charge a 2 and 3s lipo at different rates and even different chemistries been great.

716piKsxHmL._AC_SX425_.jpg

I just got back into RC so my first lipo charger has been the HTRC C150.

https://www.amazon.com/HTRC-Charger...arger&qid=1610663805&s=toys-and-games&sr=1-23

No complaints, has nice features, and easy to use. Has a USB port and DC port....but haven't used those yet.

Since it appears that is no longer offered, can you or someone else make a suggestion on a decent LiPo charger that will quick charge my 2S Mudboss batteries as well as do larger batteries in the future? I'm getting confused looking at all of the different ones out there. No .. I don't want to spend $200 on one. Just something that works at a good price. :)

Since it appears that is no longer offered, can you or someone else make a suggestion on a decent LiPo charger that will quick charge my 2S Mudboss batteries as well as do larger batteries in the future? I'm getting confused looking at all of the different ones out there. No .. I don't want to spend $200 on one. Just something that works at a good price. :)
The Hitec X2 AC Plus is a good starter charger. Not only can it do 2 lipos at the same time but it can also read the IR of your cells. Its got decent power when run on AC but when your ready to ask more of the charger you can pick up a cheap DC power supply and get even more charging power out of it.

I've had this for over 10 years, and its absolutely awesome for the dirt cheap price!
You can get the model with built-in AC for $50
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FMYW4Z...abc_VSNZQCXVXJ2J18SPFMWV?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

I'm looking for a charger that doesn't need a power supply but can charge the battery that comes with the merv or a 2s or 3s lipo..... Thanks
Skyrc t200 is a great one, has dual xt60 port and support up to 6s per battery.

The hota d6 plus is still a good first charger that will handle quite a bit for the future.
https://www.racedayquads.com/products/hota-d6-dual-channel-325w-15a-ac-dc-battery-charger

Once you get that far, you can double the wattage by running it off an external power supply. On AC, it's pretty capable anyway.

i dont remember why it seemed the best choice at the time but i have been using

HOTA D6 Pro Dual Channel​

what i want now are those lead cables that heavy bag is using so i dont have to use the 1" cable off the battery.

i dont remember why it seemed the best choice at the time but i have been using

HOTA D6 Pro Dual Channel​

what i want now are those lead cables that heavy bag is using so i dont have to use the 1" cable off the battery.
Just search for "charger (insert cell count)S balance lead extension". I believe I ordered Apex RC brand. Seems like good flexibility in the wires & insulation.

Last edited:
Just search for "charger (insert cell count)S balance lead extension".
yea i just bought a set even tho i really dont need them and it adds a point of failure it will also help little hands not bumping the charger cable out. Picked up some traxxas battery balance cable / xt60 adapter. ;/

Hota's D6 & H6 Pro chargers
It seems like every couple of years I upgrade my chargers for whatever reasons. Most of the time it's because of wanting more power or a feature on the new generation of chargers out there. I didn't want to go all out, and spend the money on the iCharger that I have been eyeballing for years.

My past chargers were somewhat slow when it came to that constant voltage part of a balance charge when cells are aging at different rates. It would take, what seemed like, forever to balance charge some LiPo packs. That's when I started researching what makes the higher end chargers so much better. The main reason I chose the Hota D6 was the balance current spec on the charger (1600mA x2) is as much as 5x greater than what I have been using.

I started using the Hota D6 at the beginning of the year.

1596496237009.png

I opted for the DC only version, 'cause I already had a 12V server power supply converted when one of my other charger's internal power supply decided to crap out on me. The only gripe I have about the D6 is the internal resistance readings are only available while charging.

I liked Hota's D6 so much, I sold my old faithful Hitec charger and purchased the Hota H6 Pro. They can be found for $79.99 at times on Banggood.

1596497293063.png

The H6 Pro has a bit more power than the D6. It will be used solely for my 4S charging needs, and the D6 dual port will be taking care of my 2S family of LiPo packs. The only complaint I have for the H6 Pro is there is no "kickstand" to adjust the screen angle. This would be a great job for a 3D printer owner to take on. I went with a tiny phone stand I found on Amazon...
1596498923526.png

I cut 21.3mm off the arm to get the correct angle for the H6 Pro to match that of the D6 charger screen.

20200723_172547.jpg

20200803_151410.jpg

Would be nice if the HOTA's internal discharge capability was a bit better. Kind of why I didn't go with the iSDT chargers when I got the revolectrix gt500's. They still aren't that great, but seems to get the job done.

I've always used a light bulb discharger with a fan and a battery buzzer
External discharging with the charger, and old school heat hooked up (automotive brake/turn signal bulbs) and prettier(?) resistors. The H6 Pro can also do regenerative discharging if you're into that (discharge battery's energy and put it into another battery).

The bulbs are rated at 2.2 amps each so I can do 20-ish amp discharge draw from LiPo packs when I hooked them up straight to a pack (2S &3S LiPo), but have to be monitored so as not to let the voltage drop too low. Sometimes I'll use a LiPo alarm to warn me, or I'll set up the chargers to stop discharging for me. I normally will have the discharge cutoff voltage set at 3.75v/cell and the voltages will "bounce back up" close to 3.8v/cell after undoing the load. Due note that the Hota chargers are limited to 15 amps max when discharging externally.
20170730_113338_cbb7d6caadcb3629590099e9b6364b166416fee5.jpg
20200127_121424_172477b586c5b74ee3367ba40a994e33b1b59421.jpg
img_20220709_113522400_ac00a43241af6316a4366ace28feff104b786ae7.jpg
img_20220709_113922999_bcd177e19f59a79cf978acb24f098d1a63a72be8.jpg

External discharging with the charger, and old school heat hooked up (automotive brake/turn signal bulbs) and prettier(?) resistors. The H6 Pro can also do regenerative discharging if you're into that (discharge battery's energy and put it into another battery).

The bulbs are rated at 2.2 amps each so I can do 20-ish amp discharge draw from LiPo packs when I hooked them up straight to a pack (2S &3S LiPo), but have to be monitored so as not to let the voltage drop too low. Sometimes I'll use a LiPo alarm to warn me, or I'll set up the chargers to stop discharging for me. I normally will have the discharge cutoff voltage set at 3.75v/cell and the voltages will "bounce back up" close to 3.8v/cell after undoing the load. Due note that the Hota chargers are limited to 15 amps max when discharging externally.
20170730_113338_cbb7d6caadcb3629590099e9b6364b166416fee5.jpg
20200127_121424_172477b586c5b74ee3367ba40a994e33b1b59421.jpg
img_20220709_113522400_ac00a43241af6316a4366ace28feff104b786ae7.jpg
img_20220709_113922999_bcd177e19f59a79cf978acb24f098d1a63a72be8.jpg
That's pretty cool (no pun intended)! How do you power the fans?

C240 DUO AC 150W /DC 240W Dual Channel 10A RC Balance Charger for LiPo ...

C240 DUO AC 150W

Cheap and AWSOME. 2years now, zero issues, i have charge about 400 times whit it. i have many cars and boats.
This is the best low budget charger, you have everything, storage mode, and alot more in this.

HTB1TcuSgYSYBuNjSspfq6AZCpXaO.jpg

you can update it with USB

PTK8522 PTK-8522 Pprotek Prodigy 610ez

https://www.amazon.com/PTK8522-PTK-8522-Pprotek-Prodigy-protek8522/dp/B091PWGXDG
grabbed one for 34$ shipped on ebay with out the power cable (hopefully one of the million cables i have around will be fine) really cheaped out but didnt feel like my brothers first charger needed to be a 150$ hota d6. ONly goin to use it to charge 2s for the wltoys builds I'm giving him. at least it comes witha deans connector. Guess i can read up on a review tho its to late already bought it ;P i still need to build one of those light bulb dischargers.

PTK8522 PTK-8522 Pprotek Prodigy 610ez

https://www.amazon.com/PTK8522-PTK-8522-Pprotek-Prodigy-protek8522/dp/B091PWGXDG
grabbed one for 34$ shipped on ebay with out the power cable (hopefully one of the million cables i have around will be fine) really cheaped out but didnt feel like my brothers first charger needed to be a 150$ hota d6. ONly goin to use it to charge 2s for the wltoys builds I'm giving him. at least it comes witha deans connector. Guess i can read up on a review tho its to late already bought it ;P i still need to build one of those light bulb dischargers.
I have that charger and it's not bad, especially for what you plan to do with it. I used it to charge my tiny whoop batteries, and it has been a real solid little charger for that. I did try charging a bigger 3s battery on it, and it didn't like that. It charged it, but it took forever. And the D6 is only $118 on www.racedayquads.com

Last edited:
I have that charger and it's not bad, especially for what you plan to do with it. I used it to charge my tiny ehoop batteries, and it has been a real solid little charger for that. I did try charging a bigger 3s battery on it, and it didn't like that. It charged it, but it took forever. And the D6 is only $118 on www.racedayquads.com
oh thats a better price then i paid for mine? (of course plus tax and ship might be more than 4x the price of the 34$ one). but honestly he has to prove he can take care of something before i get him anything better. Guess its hard when you share your things with 3 brothers and a few cousins, high hopes for some good Rc fun tho, bringing 3x wltoys buggies / racers. just wondering about flying with the batteries, will see how Singapore airlines likes it. i bought 5 tickets so i should be able to bring 1 or 2 for each person at least :p ((they never worry about my dji drone batteries but they are very small)) and can purchase some when i get there worst case.

Hello! If you are looking for a charger that does not require direct power that can charge the Merv or LiPo 2S or 3S, you can consider power banks or solar chargers. Power banks can charge the battery using the built-in battery in the charger and then charge the battery of your RC car.
What you say "does not require direct power" are you saying you want one that can charge without being hooked up to a wall outlet or a DC power supply? If so I'm not aware of any like that. Closest you could get would be a DC charger and some sort of large battery pack but they would be separate units

I have one of the Amazon (Chinese) 150W dual channel chargers and it has been fine, but I'm looking for more capacity in the same desk space, so I'm thinking about the Hota F6 (1000W, 4-channel) since I already have a 16A power supply.

Happy to see the positive reports on the other Hota chargers, makes me think the F6 is a good choice for me (and it has a built-in kick stand).

Back