What are Traxxas "ID" and Spektrum "Smart" connectors? Explained...

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greywolf74

I'M TO BLAME!
Lifetime Supporter!
Supporter
Hospitality Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Ok, so I'm going to preface this information by saying that both of these systems are new since I've been away from the hobby. I recently had to give a cursory look at both of these as not only did I not know what the Spektrum Smart system was when I first came across it online but I've recently had someone ask me about the Traxxas ID system also. So basically what I'm getting at is if I got any part of this information wrong please let me know but I thought Id post this for others who are new to the hobby or just new to electrics. I'm going to post part of my reply to one of our forum users who asked me about this as he is new to electrics so if theres any specific info it was in response to the users question but it will save me from having to retype all of this. I apologize in advance if this has already been posted before.

The new Traxxas ID connector is a specialized adapter that Traxxas has started using recently. Traditionally (and I think this still applies to everything except for new Traxxas and Spektrum LiPos) all Lipos have your main connector and a smaller balance connector on them and all lipo chargers made for the last 15+ years have balance ports where the balance plug has to be plugged in as well as the main power connector. This is to allow the LiPo charger to individually charge or discharge each cell so no one particular cell of the pack gets overcharged/dischargered.

Traxxas and Spectrum have developed their own new plug that does the job of both the main connector and the balance connector. So, unless you want to lock yourself in to using Traxxas LiPos and Traxxas Chargers (or Spektrum) Id suggest using a different connector for greater compatibility. Traxxas batteries and chargers are good but not ideal. What I mean by that is Traxxas batteries are good but overpriced if your just bashing and their chargers are fine but there are a lot better to be had. For Chargers Id suggest something from Progressive RC. Either an iCharger or a Powerlabs charger but I digress.

So that leads us to what connector to use. The most commonly used connectors are probably the XT60, EC5, Deans, and the original non-ID Traxxas connectors. They are all good connectors. Personally I use Deans but only because that was the most popular when I got in to the hobby and I've had no reason to switch from them. Some people say Deans are hard to solder but I dont agree. Unless your new to soldering in which case you may overheat the connector and cause the plastic around it to melt a bit and then your connector is no longer any good. If thats the case though youll have issues soldering all but the old school traxxas connectors and thats only becasue the metal spades come out of the plastic housing while being soldered. At least thats my understanding, I've never used Traxxas connectors.

One last thing about Traxxas ID plugs. If the RC kit in question has onboard telemetry it may not work without the ID connector or some sort of adapter. Again I'm not overly familiar because I dont use ID connectors or telemetry gear on my kits. Its mostly pointless imho.

Last edited:
Thanks for info man. The new lipos and brushless power is definitely new to me. Alot different then running nitro and turning a carb. I really want the Xmaxx 8s so that's how and why I'm getting into electric

Rock on brutha! I'm not gonna lie I was nitro when I first got in to the hobby but once i bought an electric I was smitten! Dont get me wrong I still love the smell of Nitro in the morning and I have nitros as well as electric kits but more and more the nitros grow less. Ill never get rid of em completely but electric is just so much easier and cleaner. Not to mention the thrill of instant on demand power lol

Oh I love the smell and sound of nitro in the morning. Nothing like it. But the convenince of electric is what I'm starting to like .i got the 1/16 revo for my daughter and I love the little guy.but go big or go home.So now I want the the Xmaxx as soon as I can find one.

I dont blame ya I've been eyeing that kit myself. Problem is I also want the Losi 5ive. lol

Yeah both awesome rigs. Only problem with the xmaxx is those dam connectors they run.

But u can never have enough car/trucks what ever your into. Because they will keep making them bigger faster stronger. And we will want that one too!! Lol I have a addiction

The Spektrum IC series connectors are backward compatible with the EC series, so an EC-5 Battery will work with an IC-5 plug on an ESC. The only thing is that it won't work with some features of the newer gear.

The Traxxas ID connector is also backward compatible with the old Traxxas connectors. The problem comes in trying to charge lipos with those ID/IC connectors. Traxxas does make an adapter I found out that will allow you to charge ID connector packs with a standard balance charger. I'm assuming Spektrum makes one also.

This post is spot on! :thumbs-up:

I'd like to add that Traxxas ID chargers can also charge non-ID batteries. To do that, first, take off the balance port dust cover with the "Traxxas" logo written on it (on the left side of the main connector).

LGrxvM3l.jpg

Then, you can plug the main connector and balance wire into the charger. (when you do so, the red light on the charger will "bounce" up and down)

After that, press and hold the "charge rate select" and "start/stop" buttons, until the 1 amp light flashes (about 2 seconds or so), and you can select the charge rate.

Then, press the "start/stop" button, and it will start charging.

IMHO everything is good about the Traxxas ID connector except that it is brand specific. It looks cool, doesn't pull out easily, handles a good amount of current, and isn't too hard to solder (just make sure to get an iron larger than 40W and it will be a breeze), but because it is patented by Traxxas, you can only get the ID connectors from them, and they are also pretty expensive ($5 for two connectors).

Yeah man and the battery them selves are expensive. All because of those built in balance wires I'm guessing. I love traxxas don't get me wrong. But the whole battery and charger thing

Yeah, Traxxas chargers while not bad arent exactly great either at least in terms of being powerful. Their LiPos are good but overpriced imo.

Got a ? So does the the old traxxas thcc female work with the new style id male on esc? Cuz at 140 a pop just so u don't have to put info into charger is nice but still its 140 for a battery cuz u can't just have one set of batteries rite😜🤪

No no joke I've seen that video been looking up batteries all week and that video always pops up

No no joke I've seen that video been looking up batteries all week and that video always pops up
Must be a lot of people looking for compatability answers and his video is one of the few I saw that talked about it.

So what's the whole backwards compatible? Black to red ? Yeah don't think anybody likes the new id connector. Maybe for kids it's good so they don't burn the house down but for more experienced Hobbiest.that already have charge/batteries and what not it's horrible

Back