WHAT ABOUT COLD WEATHER BREAK-INS?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tvjv2009

The dork that asks all the stupid questions...
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I just got my new MGT today!! I couldn't help getting a couple break in tanks through it. Here is where I get confused. There are two methods recommended in this forum. Two very different methods. One where you gradually (over the course of 5 tanks) work up to an engine being broke in. The other "heat cycle" method you can have an engine track ready within 20 running minutes... But what about when the ambient air temps are around 30 deg F.?? I ran 2 tanks tonight 1/4 throttle and complete cool of then 1/2 throttle. I had an old sock cut off wrapping the head to hold heat in.. Am I just wasting my time? I know asking which method is better is like asking "Which is better, Chevy or Ford?? Just looking for some input.. Not heated debate..

IMO 30 is way too cold to be breaking in a nitro motor.

As far as I can tell, the method you're using is the heat cycle method which is the most common method that I know of.
The old school method involves running your engine at ilde with the wheels off the ground.
Personally I've always used the heat cycle method, and I really don't know if theres any benefit to the other method mentioned.
Regarding cold weather break in, it rarely gets down to 30 degrees here in Californy. But as a rule, I usually do all my break ins in the spring/Summer

I personally don't do cold weather break in's just because of keeping the engine temps up even when wrapping the head. I did a break in on a 3.3 during cold weather one time and the engine failed after 1-2 gallons. Since then I do all my break in's during spring or summer. As far as method goes it really doesn't matter which one you use long as you do one or the other or a combination of both. I personally do a combination of both and it works for me.

Under NO circumstances do you finish the basic break in and then go ripping speed records. Not even in mid summer. Proper break-ins define the entire life of the engine and even when done under ideal conditions you should treat the engine with extra care. They really don't fully open up for a couple of gallons, sometimes more. If you rush it, you ruin it.

I have always used a combo of both break in methods long with the Traxxas method tossed in also. Also before your first initial start I always put a drop of ARO in the glow plug hole then pre heat the engine to OP temp, before firing it up for the first time. I wouldn't recommend a break in at any lower than a 70 degree day at least. I have been idling for the first tank for years never had any issues yet. And up to the first 4 tanks I always let mine cool with the piston at BDC.

Ok. Thanks for al the insight..

At the minute there's a lot of hype surrounding the heat cycle method, but even so It is WAY to cold for breaking in- to save possible disaster I'd wait till the summer.

if you dont have anything else to run and your not worried about risking it then go for it. just my .02 worth. I've seen a lot of people say not to do cold weather and I've seen a lot of people that swear it makes no difference, If it were me personally and I had nothing else to run, Id break it in during the winter and if it ended up dying a premature death Id simply replace it, maybe even take the opportunity to replace it with something better. If you have other things to play with or you dont want to risk the motor then id say wait.

As for what method, I do kind of a combination of the Traxxas method and heat cycle. so far its worked out fine for me and I honestly dont think it probably matters to much which method you use but like Rolex said above once your done with the initial break in I still try and somewhat baby my engine for about an additional gallon before I get super aggressive with it. By that I mean I'll go WOT with it but only for short bursts kinda thing.

I just finished breaking in a new 3.3 with 30 degree weather. It's not ideal, but I was careful with the temps and pre-heated the engine before trying to start it. As Greywolf stated above, even after break-in I don't run mine WOT but for very short bursts.

GO ELCTIRCS INSTEAD 4 WINTER WITH NO BRAKE IN WORYS ES MUCH GOOD NITRO IN SUMMER MAYB3E EZ CONVERSUN AND WATER PROOFN 4 SNOW. :first_place:

Electrics go against everything I believe in.. Don't get me wrong.. Electrics are fine for some folk, just not for me..

GO ELCTIRCS INSTEAD 4 WINTER WITH NO BRAKE IN WORYS ES MUCH GOOD NITRO IN SUMMER MAYB3E EZ CONVERSUN AND WATER PROOFN 4 SNOW. :first_place:
CUZ THIS PERTAINS TO THE OP'S QUESTION..../FACEPALM...LOVE THE CAPS BTW, i MIGHT HAVE TO START POSTING LIKE THIS MORE OFTEN! ORE WEIGHT! i N33D TO 4DD SUM NUMB3RS IN THER3 AS WELL! AT LEAST TRY TO USE SPELL CHECK AND OR GOOGLE TRANSLATE FFS...

Cheetah, for the love of god.. Even Hellraiser facepalms at your comments and trust me, it hurts when Hellraiser facepalms

hellraiser2.jpg

God help us. Please God, help us to translate this.
3480468593_d4ed2b2df4.jpg

Good Lord, he's in California. American school system.
Please try to forgive him for causing you such anguish.

Well that explains a lot, he's from California.. :hehe:
Hey wait a minute..

Back