want some ideas for my younger brother.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Undertaker

RCTalk Qualifier
Reaction score
I have a 9 Y.O. brother who might be getting a rc car to drive with me when I get one. I've talked with him, and he likes the micros for budget reasons. under 100 dollars would be great. I could probably find him a great first car, but a few great options from you can't hurt. ,thanks :thumbs-up:

Thanks for the option. I will go tell him and see what he thinks of it. I showed him these options
He liked the:
ECX torment 1/18,
ECX ruckus 1/18,
ECX roost. :ofnabuggy:

I showed him the Losi Mini-T, and surprisingly he doesn't like it.:confused:

I've heard they don't ship? If so, I've seen them at my L.H.S.

Does he only like the minis for budget reasons? Wltoy 1/12 rock crawler (feiyue12428) is pretty solid for low budget. Does 30 out of box with nimh battery provided..I'd get a 2s lipo with higher capacity though..will be faster and longer running. Can upgrade to brushless and make it go over 40 if you put some money into it. Switch to metal gears if you do though.

He would love something like that!

There's several different variations of it
My six year old loves it..it is a bit fast for him now with the upgrades though..he is not gentle with it..had to bend a shock back after he jumped our mulch pile repeatedly,which was 8ft high, one afternoon. I turned the throttle down though so now it is similar to stock when he drives it.

He seems to like the s.c.t. vibe. I like how the feiyue fy08 has two different speed modes on the transmitter to tone down that throttle for a beginner, and then crank it up when he feels more confident.

He seems to like the s.c.t. vibe. I like how the feiyue fy08 has two different speed modes on the transmitter to tone down that throttle for a beginner, and then crank it up when he feels more confident.
The feiyue fy08 looks like a 2-3hundred dollar short course truck. If you are gonna spend that might wanna go with a more well known brand like the redcat blackout shortcourse or Arma Senton..bout the same price. Might have better luck getting parts.

You may want to look at some of the Traxxas cars/trucks. You can get parts easily. Having worked with school groups I know you need something durable for young kids. Most of the Traxxas items allow you to put the esc in practice mode. Of the cars we have used in the last few years the Traxxas Bandit is a good choice. You can find for about $150 in many places. Obviously, it's not an SCT. It's 1/10 scale. Kids new to r/c will find it easier to work on.

The fy08 only retails for $155 ish dollars.

But now that you mention it, he might like the Bandit.

But now that you mention it, he might like the Bandit.
I only looked on ebay..was 200-300..saw on bangood for less..they take sooo long to deliver though. Bandit is rear wheel drive speed demon..if your brother likes it could be fun..4x4 is more versatile though

I don't know if he can handle the speed of a 35 plus mph vehicle. It would be cool if he got an rc vehicle that went a slower speed out of the box, and then upgraded to a lipo in the future.

I don't know if he can handle the speed of a 35 plus mph vehicle. It would be cool if he got an rc vehicle that went a slower speed out of the box, and then upgraded to a lipo in the future.
So most remotes let you turn down the throttle from the remote using throttle trim. Mine has 100 steps I can adjust through from slowest to fastest. You can always limit the power from there if the car doesn't have a beginner's mode option.

Thats so cool. I didn't know that.

AMain Hobbies sells the Bandit for $149. The shipping may be free since it's over $100. I would guess that your local hobby store would match that price. Parts are readily available and you can set th eesc for practice mode. If you NIMH batteries with Traxxas vehicles you may have to reset the esc for NIMH batteries.

AMain Hobbies sells the Bandit for $149. The shipping may be free since it's over $100. I would guess that your local hobby store would match that price. Parts are readily available and you can set th eesc for practice mode. If you NIMH batteries with Traxxas vehicles you may have to reset the esc for NIMH batteries.
Yeah remotes have throttle trim and steering trim. Each has two adjustments you can do. If you hold throttle and adjust throttle up or down you either increase or decrease top speed..if you adjust without holding throttle you mess with your calibration and your motor might spin without giving any throttle..only do this for small tweaks. With steering trim, adjusting without having steering knob turned is for adjusting your alignment, Adjusting while steering knob is fully turned is to adjust how far your tires turn while driving.

Back