Unknown car problem

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rolex

Hoof Hearted
In Memoriam
Supporter
Military Veteran
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Flying
My car is in the shop right now, with an unusual problem. It runs absolutely fine, and has the platinum plugs, so it's not a matter of a tune-up, but I told him to do that anyway.
When it's at idle, and I step on the gas to pull out, it starves for something and often stalls. To restart it, even though it's fuel injected, I need to hold the pedal to the floor. It won't restart at idle.
The shop just called and said they have also cleaned and checked the mass air sensor, idle control valve and anything else associated with it, and they're about to replace the fuel filter also. Again, it runs absolutely fine, other than the transition from idle to throttle.
It's a Thunderbird LX with the 5.0 HO engine. Any info on this problem?
I'm at $320 parts and labor right now, and it might not change.

ford_circle_problem.jpg

But seriously...

Does it have a throttle position sensor? If so have it checked.

poop Rolex...I'll sell you a used 302 for less than that! lol

I've got a similar problem on my F-150. It starts and idles fine, but when you give it any more than half throttle, it stutters and shakes. The OBD II readout says that it's a lean condition in the passenger side cylander bank. I've researched it and found that it has a leaking intake manifold gasket.

I had the platinums for my 05 wrx and used to have them on my eclipse, both times they made the car starve out and lose power, was told its the plugs, they dont do well on alot of cars. Food for thought

Yeah all the grief I had with my eclipse the end result was #3 cylinder lost compression but not from the plugs I'm sure, because its a mitsubishi I spose

I only run NGK usually in anything I drive or Autolites

i dont have spark plugs. HAHA

Did you spill your polish in the gas?
LMAO...yeah, maybe it's wax fumes.
I picked the car up, and it runs great. Lots more power and pick up, BUT......BUT, it still chokes when I step it quick. If I ease in, it's fine. I'll have to drop it off tomorrow and he'll see about installing a new throttle sensor. Their warehouse didn't have it in yet.

I got off with $279 today.

Fuel pump maybe? I had a similar issue with my 2006 Grand Marquis (in my sig). It was pretty bad regardless when I stepped on the gas, be it off the line or just punching it to pass someone.

Although, I think there may be something else as well... After they replaced the fuel pump, it wasn't anywhere near as bad, but it still hesitates when I hammer it getting off an on-ramp. Before the fuel pump, it did it constantly. It cost $800 to be replaced... Still hesitates a bit, but is livable. Before, when in snow, it was constantly breaking traction due to it.

Will be interested to see if they figure yours out. Mine had 40K on it at the time and now has 80K. Mines running the 4.6l with COP and direct injection.

Thanks for sharing.

Well, down here you could get off with like $20...... but it might be a guy.

LMAO....well, that sucks. :whhooo:

It's only in the first 1/16 of an inch on the pedal going from idle. At any other RPM it explodes and never hesitates or misses, so it's certainly not the fuel pump.

me thinks throttle position sensor sounds like the culprit like the other guy said. Its missing that initial range so it keeps idle fuel delivery but you are opening the throttle body allowing more air in and leaning it out.

Before I commit to that, I'll take it to a local auto parts store and let them hook it up to their machines to trouble shoot it. So far, that part seems to be getting the most votes, but I don't want to drop another 150 without being sure of a permanent fix.

They are normally very easy to change out. Why not locate it, go to the store and swap it out in the parking lot?